HybridZ

Differential / CV / LSD / HP / Torque / R160 / R180 / R200 / R230 / Diff Mount

JMortensen

Guest Simon Bentley

Hi all first post.

I've come he looking for info on Nissan diffs but hopefully I can pass some on too.

I run a 1995 Ford Maverick, which is actually a Nissan Terrano 2 rebadged. The Terrano 2 was sold in Europe as both Maverick and Terrano 2, in Japan it was slightly different and called Mistral. It wasn't sold at all in America and I think it was sold as Terrano 2 in Oz and NZ but I'm not sure about that - anyway thats model history done.

Point of this is that these trucks use an R180A diff up front, the 'A' designates that it is mounted off centre and has an extension tube on the side. You'll see more in the NIssan manual HERE from about page i5 of that section.

Anyway the T2 comes with 1:4.375 ratio diffs in the diesel engine models and 1:4.625 in the petrol engined ones.

These diffs along with R190 and R200 were also fitted to a number of other 4x4 and 2wd pickup Nissans as front and rear diffs.

I don't know this for certain but I am also lead to beleive that the LSD fitted to the C200 solid beam rear axle on some 4x4s can be fitted to the R200 but thats only from reading US Nissan 4x4 websites.

Anyway what I'm looking for is an LSd for the front of mine to either go in the R180A or to replace it altogether but I need to be able to get at least as low as 4.625 preferably lower (so I can fit bigge tyres)

Can't recall if this has been posted before, but an old Zed racer in Melbourne showed me this trick years ago and I just did it to my 280Z here.

Just replace the stretched leather strap over the top of the diff with chain wrapped in 1" ID rubber/vinyl tube. All done in under 2 hours in the driveway.

Dave

0614081854_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have an ZX R200 3.9 rear end in my 78 280Z with stock stub axles.

I am looking to put in an LSD unit and think I am down to two options:

1. The Calmini, that I have confirmed with them is a 29 spline.

http://www.purenissan.com/r200a_lsd.htm

2. The 240SX NISMO LSD

Limited Slip Differential (240SX 1989-1998 w/o OE LSD) SKU: 38420-RS661

http://www.thenissanpartsstore.com/Pages/Ecomm/Product_category.asp?prodCatId=16

Any thoughts or opinions?

This is a street car (Daily Driver) that I autocross and track occasionally.

Thanks,

Fred

• 2 weeks later...
I have an ZX R200 3.9 rear end in my 78 280Z with stock stub axles.

I am looking to put in an LSD unit and think I am down to two options:

1. The Calmini, that I have confirmed with them is a 29 spline.

http://www.purenissan.com/r200a_lsd.htm

2. The 240SX NISMO LSD

Limited Slip Differential (240SX 1989-1998 w/o OE LSD) SKU: 38420-RS661

http://www.thenissanpartsstore.com/Pages/Ecomm/Product_category.asp?prodCatId=16

Any thoughts or opinions?

This is a street car (Daily Driver) that I autocross and track occasionally.

Thanks,

Fred

I believe that unit is NLA. Some catalog are still listing them but when you order them the order comes back NLA. I know, I tried 3 different places.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dazzak75

Hi guys,

I am looking for a LSD for a R180A diff, I have a navara and I have been told that I can use a LSD out of an earlier skyline or silva to put into the front of the navara to give it a better grip when off road, can anyone confirm or help with how I can tell what diff is what and what cars are using the R180 LSD,

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Thumper280

i have an 82 280zx turbo automatic. i dont know much about my car yet so what diff do i have in it. i plan to put a small block 350 in it with up to 420 hp. will it handle it? or what needs to be done. i have been told to look for r200 gm diff flanges but have not found any. but like i said i dont know what it has as far as diff and cant find the info anywhere.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

Sorry, this question was maybe mentioned earlier, but...

Im thinking about buyin a nissan silvia s12, but it has no lsd in stock. So i wanna know, that is it possible to put an lsd in that car? I read somewhere that the R200 is compatible with the s12. But what parts have to be changed? Can i just buy these stuffs in a nissan shop, or on ebay? Or should i buy a cheap used car, and get out the parts i need from it?

I want to make the s12 driftable, thats why i need an lsd...

About how much is this change will cost to me?

Sorry for the silly questions, but im clueless in these thing now...:)

has anyone tried the phantom grip in a z? my friend said they would be to unreliable, but i dont see how. im no genius but i think the only problem would be turning. id rather spend 350 bucks to have an 3.54 r180 lsd then spend time at a junk yard to spend like 100 bucks and then 400+ for lsd. i mean it would be wise for me to just bite the bullet and spend the cash and be sure it would last a while but im cheap.

sorry my main question is, has anyone used the phantom grip?

Thomas

There are threads on the Phantom Grip here. Search and you'll find them. There is a reason why I didn't include it in this thread.

I found them, sorry for asking stupid questions. I was wondering, i can get a powerbrute lsd and as lont as the diff gear lines up i can use it right? (wondering if im understanding all of this right)

I have an R200 in my 79 2+2 ZX. Am I correct that I can replace the halfshafts with 300ZX CV's? If I wanted to swap the axle stubs with the 5 bolts would I just have to drill the rear rotors? Finally, what LSD unit would I have to order from KAAZ etc to swap it out (180sx w/o LSD)?

This might be stupid question, but I haven't figured this out yet. If I want to put R200 from 300zx to my 260z which has R180, do I need the 280z mustache bar? Also if I want to use halfshafts I need kit like the one which modern motorsport has?

Yes, you need the R200 mustache from a 280Z. You also may need to swap the input flange from a 280Z R200. You can use your 260Z half shafts, but you will need the 280Z R200 spline shafts to mate to your 260Z half shafts.

Pete

• 1 month later...

Anyone know of a source for the M10 studs that are pressed into the stock 280Z R200 stub axles? I know these are usually replaced with the CV axle but I'm using the Wolf Creek CV setup which bolts to the original stubs.

-Rick