HybridZ

Differential / CV / LSD / HP / Torque / R160 / R180 / R200 / R230 / Diff Mount

JMortensen

Keep starting in 2nd. No reason not to. You can put a taller diff in there, 3.54 is easy to find, but is shifting going to make you faster because you have more torque multiplication, or slower because you lose time shifting? I would guess that you'll be slower for shifting. So long as the highway rpms aren't annoying with the 3.90, I'd stick with it. If they are, then jump down to a 3.70 or a 3.54.

You can use the trans calculator to figure it all out, not sure if all T5's have the same ratios, but it does have a T5 in there and you can manually enter the ratios if they're wrong:

http://webspace.webring.com/people/cz/z_design_studio/

j m thanks for the reply..i do see the point of what will be quicker but i am almost looking for what will be a better driver friendly combo, the starting off in second works great but then there is third real quick and fourth, so my untrained brain thinks that a lower or taller ( 3.90 to a 3.54 ) or taller to shorter gear would help ?? the car is a rocket super fun but i dont see us hiting the freeway at 90 with any rpm leftover .. thanks again for the help you are the gear man..

I am all confused now on the LSD, VLSD, CLSD conversions. I have a 77' 280z with an R200 rear end, assuming it is a longnose becasue it was a manual car to start. I was planning on using a 87' 300zx turbo diff and cv joints and all the necessary parts to convert it to an LSD.

My question is; is there a replacement gear setup from Cusco or Kaap (or anyone) that I can buy and drop it in my original R200 diff that is in the car now, so I do not have to competely swap rear ends to have an LSD?

If anyone reading this is near Spokane, WA please send me a message with any information and maybe we can meet up to figure this out. Thanks.

From what I understand, aftermarket LSD's from S13 240sx's with an open diff will go into our long noses. If you do a little digging you should find some people commenting on it.

Hopefully someone more experienced than myself can chime in, but this is the route I'd like to take instead waiting for CLSD to finally pop up or going the rebuilt OBX route.

I am all confused now on the LSD, VLSD, CLSD conversions. I have a 77' 280z with an R200 rear end, assuming it is a longnose becasue it was a manual car to start. I was planning on using a 87' 300zx turbo diff and cv joints and all the necessary parts to convert it to an LSD.

My question is; is there a replacement gear setup from Cusco or Kaap (or anyone) that I can buy and drop it in my original R200 diff that is in the car now, so I do not have to competely swap rear ends to have an LSD?

If anyone reading this is near Spokane, WA please send me a message with any information and maybe we can meet up to figure this out. Thanks.

You should do some more reading and get the FSM for your car. Are you wanting to replace the gears or the differential or both?

• 3 months later...

Okay, Thanks for ID'ing the 350Z Diff's as Shortnose R200's. Question then is, Can the CLSD from a 05 350Z be dropped into a 77-78 280Z Longnose diff? What of the diff stub axles? Are they swappable over as well, or would we have to use the S30 Axles?

• 2 months later...

Do you think it would be possible and keep it's durability and dependability? I don't think 5mm would be that much, it's only 2.5mm off each side, I just don't know about how hard that steel would be so I don't know how hard machining it would be.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello, Good thread, thank you

I have a r200 longnose open 4 pinions Z31 (87), I want to convert by a LSD KAAZ san2655 1,5way

If I understood, I must check if on my r200, there is 12mm bolt holes,

If it's ok, I have just to put the LSD KAAZ in the r200 longnose pumpkin?

That all? No problem with CV shaft?

I have a S12 and the r200 Z31 clsd is bolt on without mods, and in France, the r200 ratio is 3.7

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a question about my R200. (Rather than start a new thread I figure it could be discussed here as relevant).

I have replaced all my bushings with poly for the mustache bar etc. put in an RT diff mount and removed any "clunks" from the rear end. Brand new Spicer U-joints, everything appeared fine with the diff when I had it out of the car a year and a half ago. I barely drove the car at all last summer.

There is now this odd "whirring" sound coming from what sounds like the rear of the car. I can only describe it as a whirring that chatters slightly which is more pronounced at around 25-30mph or less. If the car is under load the sound pretty much goes away but when I coast off the gas it makes this "whirr-whirr-whirr" sound (the dashes are a break in the sound of silence).

I'm not sure if maybe i'm mistaken and it's a noisy clutch in need of replacing but it certainly sounds like it's coming from the rear.

There is a slight I will call it "howl" at highway speeds that isn't obnoxiously loud but it's still there. Any input before I go hauling everything back out again?

Poly bushings transmit more noise. If you want to get really noisy, go to solid metal mounts. For any helicopter pilots out there, do you remember how loud a tail rotor gearbox is during coast down? Well, a tail rotor gearbox is essentially the same as a differential. The gears are just noisy - run it till it breaks.

Poly bushings transmit more noise. If you want to get really noisy, go to solid metal mounts. For any helicopter pilots out there, do you remember how loud a tail rotor gearbox is during coast down? Well, a tail rotor gearbox is essentially the same as a differential. The gears are just noisy - run it till it breaks.

I was also wondering that. So the added noise is likely just transmitted through the RT mount and te poly mounted mustache bar? Your line of thinking "run it til it breaks" is likely solid advice that I usually live by. I guess I just try to be pro active with the old girl.

• 6 months later...

So I just picked up my R230 out of a Z32 300ZX TT but I still need to get axles. My questions is what year Q45 axles should I be looking for? Are there any other cars that have the CV joints that would work?

Edited by Turbo6.0

• 4 weeks later...