HybridZ

gas tank vent?

lowrider

i recently bought a project z with a v8.after i fill it up with gas i noticed that the fuel guage went down at a steady rate.i looked under the rear end and noticed a barb that was sticking out of the center seam of the gas tank. it looks like the people before me crimped the barb and tried to seal it with sillicone.i was wondering if it was a vent or what,and what should i do to make it stop leaking.

all help is greatly appreciated.

i recently bought a project z with a v8.after i fill it up with gas i noticed that the fuel guage went down at a steady rate.i looked under the rear end and noticed a barb that was sticking out of the center seam of the gas tank. it looks like the people before me crimped the barb and tried to seal it with sillicone.i was wondering if it was a vent or what' date='and what should i do to make it stop leaking.

all help is greatly appreciated.[/quote']

First of all silicone dissolves when exposed to gas. Secondly you have to have vent into the tank equivalent of the amount of gas being removed. Gas tanks typically have a roll over valve in the line, if yours doesn't have that get one, should solve your problem as it sounds like the tank was or is under pressure and pushing gas out that hose, which it should not, so sounds like that line isn't the vent. Trace the lines, see whats what then make a decision before blocking off any lines. Make sure you have a vented cap and that any vent is outside the car.

First of all silicone dissolves when exposed to gas. Secondly you have to have vent into the tank equivalent of the amount of gas being removed. Gas tanks typically have a roll over valve in the line, if yours doesn't have that get one, should solve your problem as it sounds like the tank was or is under pressure and pushing gas out that hose, which it should not, so sounds like that line isn't the vent. Trace the lines, see whats what then make a decision before blocking off any lines. Make sure you have a vented cap and that any vent is outside the car.

it doesent have a hose,it is just a barb.zgastank004wz7.jpgzgastank006xw6.jpg

That is for a vent hose. The Z tank has 3 of those, one pictured, and two at the top of the tank ( tall side). They all go to a small vent tank behind the filler neck. You need to take the inside panel off inside the car to see it. The easiest thing for you to do, is run fuel line from these vent barbs back to the vent tank.

That is for a vent hose. The Z tank has 3 of those, one pictured, and two at the top of the tank ( tall side). They all go to a small vent tank behind the filler neck. You need to take the inside panel off inside the car to see it. The easiest thing for you to do, is run fuel line from these vent barbs back to the vent tank.

i looked after i got home,and it seams the the people before me replaced the filler neck.i say that because there is only one vent connected to the filler neck and no more barbs.should i block the barb off again?or try to route it some where else?