HybridZ

thinking of goin turbo

Silent

i miss having a boosted car. and the whole all motor thing is a lost dream right now.

my thinking.

3.1 bottom end

p-90 head

n42 manifold

60mm tb

stock ext mani

stock t3 on 12 psi

intercooler

aeromotive pump/regulator

450cc injectors

3 inch dp and 3 dp back

megasquirt system

dunno

kickin around idea's

tryin to get 300 to the tire

or i'll end up sellin the car

why are giving up a on the N/A ... just wondering... and dont feel bad I am too.

But I love my Z and I wouldn't give it up no matter what. I'm going turbo gause I want 300 WHP and you just cant get that with out a turbo.

I think the set up you have there will be able to get you 300 WHP pretty easy. If you went with the t3/t4 hybrid turbo you would get that and a lot more.

Good luck... :burnout:

Just watch your CR ... depending on what kind of pistons you are using will change that dramatically.

i made the mistake of selling my first z, for years i regreted it, but luckily i found it and bought it back only to send it to the crusher due to damage. if you want more power; boost it dont sell it. lesson learned here. but i my case i sold my first car b/c i was made fun of by fellow zthusiests due to my engine set up. but you know what i missed that damn care and i got it back, but it was just too late. anyways i prefer all motor even if its less then 200rwhp i dont care. so boost it, v8 it, rb it, put jet engine in it but if you sell it, you will miss it and i guarentee that.

im debating on boring out my car too for boost...im researching prices as we speak...i would include a bigger turbo if your gonna go thru all that work..i would say an easy 350hp car

i am going to bore my motor but only .40 over to fit the arizona z car pistons. exactly what liter would that put my motor at anybody know? kind of a stupid question

not sure what im going to do at this point, the original plan was to do a all motor/bottle car, that should have put it close to 400 to the tire on juice.

i think that might be a wee bit extreme. hence me going for about 300 to the tire would make the car pretty damn silly. with my turbo knowledge and ems stuff i know. tuning it would be easy. then again, so is nitrous. but, thats another 600 bucks for that. not sure what im going to do just yet.

Turbos are wonderful, I miss having one and am looking for a cheap turbo motor to rebuild and drop in. I figure I can do one for around 1500, much of that being for an LC-1, megasquirt, junkyard intercooler & perhaps larger injectors, on top of a rusted out turbo Z.

It's safe, always avalible power and dosen't require refils and dosen't need to be used in short burts at full throttle above a certain rpm. No2 isn't so much cheating as it's good for going fast in a straight line. I like turbos, personal preference. If you need more intercooling, try water/ethonal(sp) injection rather then running rich and/or an intercooler spray bar.

I think instead of having parts related goals, maybe you should just have an overall performance goal in mind-then just do whatever will get you there the easiest. Garrett seems to be making pretty good power with his setup, I don't really know the specifics, but I heard something about 400hp on the turbo? I don't see why that setup you listed wouldn't be able to get you around where you want to be after tuning. I like the idea of nitrous, but it seems like rented HP a little bit. I would like to get my hands on a kit, if for no other reason than to paint the bottle. I've got some good ideas for what I would do to it...

Is that crazy cam you got from BRAAP going to work with turbo, or is it more of an NA spec cam?

I think instead of having parts related goals, maybe you should just have an overall performance goal in mind-then just do whatever will get you there the easiest. Garrett seems to be making pretty good power with his setup, I don't really know the specifics, but I heard something about 400hp on the turbo? I don't see why that setup you listed wouldn't be able to get you around where you want to be after tuning. I like the idea of nitrous, but it seems like rented HP a little bit. I would like to get my hands on a kit, if for no other reason than to paint the bottle. I've got some good ideas for what I would do to it...

Is that crazy cam you got from BRAAP going to work with turbo, or is it more of an NA spec cam?

my daily driver right now is a 400 hp car {bless the nitrous gods} but it is also a 3600 lb tank.

the cam that paul has in wait for me is for an allmotor/bottle set up. crazy yes, but serves a purpose. i really need to talk to him. i haven't talked with him in a couple months now. im sure he's a bit upset with me. dunno

the set up i posted should be good for about 250 to the tire, with out changing turbo's boost levels may vary here and there. not sure. that was more or less a general thing i threw together

• Administrators
my daily driver right now is a 400 hp car {bless the nitrous gods} but it is also a 3600 lb tank.

the cam that paul has in wait for me is for an allmotor/bottle set up. crazy yes, but serves a purpose. i really need to talk to him. i haven't talked with him in a couple months now. im sure he's a bit upset with me. dunno

the set up i posted should be good for about 250 to the tire, with out changing turbo's boost levels may vary here and there. not sure. that was more or less a general thing i threw together

LMAO…

Silent,

No I’m not upset at all. We just want to make sure you are happy with the end result no matter what route you choose to go in regards to your Z car. I was beginning to think maybe you were getting upset with me for not posting the pics of your N-47 as I promised I would do a few weeks ago. Sorry bout that. More on that further down.

As for your Z dilemma, I feel your pain. Your new street toy is spoiling you isn’t it?

To get an all motor L-28/31 to run as good or faster is going to make for a street car that is not quite as docile as your current street ride. Boost will definitely get you closer to your intended goals or better with less sacrifice in around town street ability.

SOOoo… do we need to shelve the current N-47 and start a P-90? We still have that P-79 as well….

BTW, your N-47 will be finished and ready to ship in a couple/few weeks, “but” that is only if you plan to keep going the N/A route. I should be posting pics of it during the first week in Oct. Sorry I didn’t get them up sooner. As has been the case this entire summer, we got really behind.

I wouldn’t blame you for wanting to go boosted if retaining the L-series under the hood

FWIW, if you think you may want that P-79 instead of the N-47 for boosted head, you better speak up quick as Ron Tyler has his eye on that P-790 we originally started for you and he will most likely end up with it if you don’t…

Keep us posted on what you want to do and if we can, we will try and help out the best we can.

Paul Ruschman

LMAO…

Silent,

No I’m not upset at all. We just want to make sure you are happy with the end result no matter what route you choose to go in regards to your Z car. I was beginning to think maybe you were getting upset with me for not posting the pics of your N-47 as I promised I would do a few weeks ago. Sorry bout that. More on that further down.

As for your Z dilemma, I feel your pain. Your new street toy is spoiling you isn’t it?

To get an all motor L-28/31 to run as good or faster is going to make for a street car that is not quite as docile as your current street ride. Boost will definitely get you closer to your intended goals or better with less sacrifice in around town street ability.

SOOoo… do we need to shelve the current N-47 and start a P-90? We still have that P-79 as well….

BTW, your N-47 will be finished and ready to ship in a couple/few weeks, “but†that is only if you plan to keep going the N/A route. I should be posting pics of it during the first week in Oct. Sorry I didn’t get them up sooner. As has been the case this entire summer, we got really behind.

I wouldn’t blame you for wanting to go boosted if retaining the L-series under the hood

FWIW, if you think you may want that P-79 instead of the N-47 for boosted head, you better speak up quick as Ron Tyler has his eye on that P-790 we originally started for you and he will most likely end up with it if you don’t…

Keep us posted on what you want to do and if we can, we will try and help out the best we can.

Paul Ruschman

naaa, im not mad at ya man. i just have the ole lack of money due to car payment syndrome right now.

im not sure what im going to do at this point. yes the new car with the bottle on it is spoiling me. if i can run door to door with a new c6 vette {they trap about 110-112 mph} and im right there in my lil ole grand prix? yea. thats the delima. anywho. the guy that has the turbo stuff isn't responding to me on a local z board, so i may end up just staying all motor, and putting the car back together and just driving it.

i really don't care if the z is going to be docile or not. my plan was to have that cr be mean ass hell, and shake at stop lights. also to scare kids. but thats pretty easy anyways

• Administrators
Silent. Hey is Eugene local enough for you? Got an 81 turbo car down here. Pretty much complete. It's never been run. Aquired through salvage auction. It was abandoned on street. Was savin it, now don't know.....

LMAO… Well, it’s probably not close enough for him as he lives on the right coast, BUT, it is plenty close for us (we live in Sandy between Portland and Mt Hood), and since we are building his custom cylinder head, if he ends up wanting to go P-90….

We come to Eugene quite often, (that is where I do most of my autocrossing with the EESCC), also good friends Dustin Rinehart, Kelvin Dietz, and my father live in Eugene. Ron Tyler’s wife also makes several trips to Eugene every month, (she sometimes works as our Portland to Eugene courier service.) :wink:

Been to Dustin's place. They do nice work. On my budget though, I have to do most of my own work. I live about a mile away from performance. Got like 5 L-6 cars here. I don't want to jack this thread.... Been eves dropping on site for a couple of years. He's shooting for 300 to wheels turboed. I'd just like to have 200 NA.

Silent, it's pretty easy and not very expensive to build an L28ET Z that will hand it to the C6 and the NOS Hippo. Just wisely spend the money in the right places and do your own labor. You will not ever regret a Turbo L28ET Z.

300HP to the rear wheels? Heck my, unopened, original, junkyard L28ET with hell'a high miles almost does that and makes 300ft-lbs. at the wheels.

The only reason I would pulling the L28ET out of my Z is if something broke. So far it is holding up well for over two years at 15psi. It is leaking a tiny bit of oil up front but that might be from when the crank pulley got loose. It might have damaged the front seal. Tell Silent how cheap one can pick up a running L28ET.

i miss having a boosted car. and the whole all motor thing is a lost dream right now.

my thinking.

3.1 bottom end

p-90 head

n42 manifold

60mm tb

stock ext mani

stock t3 on 12 psi

intercooler

aeromotive pump/regulator

450cc injectors

3 inch dp and 3 dp back

megasquirt system

dunno

kickin around idea's

tryin to get 300 to the tire

or i'll end up sellin the car

Silent, not sure if 12 psi is enough for your 300rwhp goal but with the 450cc inj and the MS system you can boost higher than 12 even on the stock turbo. Make sure you intercool and have a healthy turbo. You dont need to stroke it...you can save money there keep the bottom stock and even keep the head stock. Everything else sounds great. Up to 300-340rwhp you dont really NEED internal engine work.

BTW, 2400 pounds and 300rwHP puts you in the mid 11's in the 1/4!!

I bet thats faster than your 400HP Hippo.