HybridZ

to dish or not to dish

Steven280zx

well guys i'm really confused now and lets see if we can get a bit of a debate going here. i'm told that dished pistons decrease c/r and therefore allow us to run more boost from the turbo. this is older thinging. nowadays there are not dished pistons in turbo charged cars. so why would someone whos doin a turbo conversion get dished if they could get flat tops that would survive the heat at a c/r of 9.5. i was talkin to brian from wiseco pistons and he said most ppl are running flat tops at a 9.5 c/r. so here's the question. to dish or not to dish?

Something you might want to consider is that you are not using a modern head that is designed to work with a flat top piston under boost. Nissan decided to use a dished piston on their turbo blocks, possibly because they had them laying around and needed to put them somewhere, but probably not. Modern combustion chambers are designed to a level that was not possible even 20 years ago, so it's not really fair to look at say a Subaru STI engine and ask why my L28 isn't built like that. I have heard a theory that using a dish piston concentrates the force of the combustion on the piston and not the head, supposedly better for power production and not so hard on head gaskets and fasteners, but I don't remember the specifics well enough to relay it properly. www.theoldone.com has some interesting discussion about chamber design and matching pistons.

Grammer? :D

That one gets a lot of people. At least John didn't spell it grmr.

The annoying text messaging grammar was only part of what made my head hurt, though. I saw that Steven apparently decided to go with dished pistons, but the reasons for the decision seemed pretty sketchy to me.

Im going with 8.6:1 CR when I build my turbo engine. that should give me a "snappy" off turbo engine. I don't plan on running huge boost thought, about 12-15 psi. I think 7.4 CR is better for a bigger turbos and higher boost... but im still learning.

If I could get one of thoes Giken twin cam heads ... now that could be fun to turbo

12-15 psi is pretty high on an L28 w/ 8.6 CR. You going studs all around, & MLS headgasket?

If you build up a L28T motor, you can go with a higher compression ratio. There are plenty of guys on this forum that are running 8:1 compression ratio and putting 400+ to the rear wheels. It is all a matter of building the motor for it, fuel and spark control and a good intercooler. I plan on increasing the compression ratio on my car to kill the of the line dogginess when your not flooring it.

15lbs from a t3 is a lot of boost but not compaired to a t4's 15 or 20lbs.

I plan on running megasquirt with 440cc injectors

and a super efficiant IC

I'll start with 7 psi on my my nissan Z31 t3 turbo and see how that go's then i'll slooooooooowly bring up the boost.

I have an HKS steel head gasket but If I use it my CR will drop to 8.1:1 so instead of using the steel head gasket I think I will go with studs.

I supose that if I go with the 8.1:1 CR I can alway upgrade to the t3/t4 hybrid turbo and get over 350 to the wheels.

am I being niev? am I missing something? My goal is 300 to the wheels so once I reach that ill stop raising the boost.

Thanks, Matt-

I have an HKS steel head gasket but If I use it my CR will drop to 8.1:1 so instead of using the steel head gasket I think I will go with studs.

Thanks, Matt-

Metal head gasket or studs really isn't a trade off. If I was going all out on studs I would still use the metal HG. Hell I would probaly o-ring the thing honestly. I know bolt stretch might blow out a stock gasket but once there is a real high compression inside the CC it's gonna ruin the stock HG even with studs.

15lbs from a t3 is a lot of boost but not compaired to a t4's 15 or 20lbs.

I plan on running megasquirt with 440cc injectors

and a super efficiant IC

I'll start with 7 psi on my my nissan Z31 t3 turbo and see how that go's then i'll slooooooooowly bring up the boost.

I supose that if I go with the 8.1:1 CR I can alway upgrade to the t3/t4 hybrid turbo and get over 350 to the wheels.

am I being niev? am I missing something? My goal is 300 to the wheels so once I reach that ill stop raising the boost.

Thanks, Matt-

Seems to me that you'd be more likely to be able to live with the higher compression ratio if you went to a t3/t4. Not sure why you'd want to run a higher CR with a less efficient turbo.

good point about the gasket... I'm just trying to find that perfect ballance of a snappy off boost engine that will scare the $hit out of people with 12 psi Im guessing that is a magic # of between 8-8.5 CR.

Right now I'm driving a 9.2:1 N/A Z and it is quick.