HybridZ

So you want to swap a ROTARY into your Z! (how-to)

auxilary

Guest RotaryBuddha
Hey aux, i have a Turbo 2 motor and trans sitting in my shop that i really want to get rid of, but how do i know whether its a Series 5 motor?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan if this is indeed a series 5 motor maybe we can work something out

Another way of telling is that the series 4 on the water pump outlet had a metal piece with a pressure cap. On the series 5 it was just a plastic piece with no cap.

Also auxilary what are you using for a oil cooler?

What i find crazy is how 1.3 L rotarys run MASSIVE turbos.

much larger than t04's but i guess at 8k+ rpm that small motor is flowing ALOT of air.

2 huge exhaust ports dumping lot of exhaust in pulses.... for example my turbo has .84 a/r for exhaust, and that's small because i wanted more midrange power. common is .96 or 1.0 a/r

buddha: fc stock oil cooler w/ -10an lines.

same as a piston motor - put the compression plug tester into the spark plug socket, crank... you just have to use a very short probe, since rotary spark plugs don't stick out. pull one out, and you'll see. Normal compression ratio for a rotary is about 90-110psi, if memory serves

you can also check instructions here:

http://www.fd3s.net/compression_test.html

and tips here:

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=386678

just an fyi, there's no point in doing just 1 rotor rebuild, because the engine comes apart like a sandwich. You'd have to do the same amount of work to replace seals and springs on both rotors as you would on just one.

And unfortunately, no I don;t know anyone that needs an s4 t2 motor.

Maybe Owen? :)

Glad to see that this thing is rolling now Aux.

Don't take this the wrong way Aux, but whats wrong with using the S4 T2 engine? The turbo model made 182hp, which is decent. Even with slight mods like intake and exhaust, plus supporting mods like fuel, it would make a substantial difference in power. Plus finding a piggyback would be relatively cheap. The Rtek 2.0 controls fuel and timing to an extent. I've seen some S4's in the 300hp range using only the Rtek. I don't see why it would be so bad? But then again, I don't know my Z's as well as my rotaries yet. Guess this was just a rant!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest RotaryBuddha
Motor's out of the car for the last time, so if anyone wants dimensions of my motor mount, I can document them... I think. It's not the most straight forward mount out there to duplicate though

Yes I want dimensions as well. Hell I will even paypal you some money for a drawing of it and lots of pictures.