HybridZ

Stopped smoking....

COZY Z COLE

It's been one week now after 44 years of smoking two packs a day. After my Primary Care doc had run out of things to harp about she zeroed in on my smoking. Yes, I told her I know all the health problems associated with smoking. She didn't skip a beat, an every three month visit became every two weeks. I had quit drinking alcohol in 2000. All my bad habits are falling by the wayside. This is the hardest thing I've ever tried to do. What do you do with your hands?? LOL

I will not miss the burn holes in carpets, chairs, clothes, cars, and other misc. stuff.

I escaped a life threating incident in JAN.66 in Vietnam without a scratch so I guess I have some unfinished business to take care of yet.:-)

LARRY

Guest Sleepy-z

Thats great cozycole that your going to stop, hope your health is good not terrible after the visit to make the doc say that though. Just think of it as a little more money saved on the side now to dump in the Z each day which is better then smoking IMO. Now I will have to keep an eye on you sunday and make sure you dont try to sneak one. Maybe the best solution is to setup more meets to keep your mind on other things......How does a Saturday evening at Mels in Vacaville sound sometime or maybe monthly, I listened to you last time its just a matter of gathering some Z's in the area to go and hopefully Sunday will bring new faces out for us.

Congrats!

Oh, that's the hard part, all that money now to burn up on the z! Let's see, $2/pack? x 30 days/mo x 2 packs/day = $120/month = $1440/year

Well, let's see, gold plating, you know BLING IT OUT, BABY!!!!!

Since it's already yellow you know.

How about a gold plated blower and carb!!!!

Quitting smoking is a bitch, especially if you really enjoy it. Congrats on getting it behind you.

I quit twice. Once about 5 years ago, that one stuck for around a year and a half. Then again about 3 years ago, still going and don't think I'll fall back into it again. I only smoked for 12 years, about a pack and a half a day. It was hard for me, but after about a month it got better, then again about 3 months in, then again about a year in. Different plateaus of withdrawal you might call it. I still love the smell though. My sister-in-law smokes and so does her boyfriend. Whenever they're smoking I'm always hanging around downwind. Sometimes I dream about it too. But I know if I have one I'll be hooked again, and as time passes the temptation weakens. Didn't really make me feel healthier and I gained about 25 lbs, but hey, I've got more money to spend on the car and I don't have to pay $4 a pack in BS punitive taxes anymore. I hope you get at least that much out of it too.

:2thumbs:

Thanks for the comments and kind words. They're no critical reason for this other then what 44 years of smoking does to you. My doc told me I'm one of her "missions". I told her once I would stop if it would make her happy.... Wrong Thing to say. Her face got red and she said you don't have to do this to make me happy. I'm here for your well being.......

A side note, she was a boat person that at 10 years old came to the USA with her family after the fall of SAIGON. She could speak no English but now her and her sister are both Doctors... Only in America.

LARRY

You can do it! I have never smoked, but I remember my Dad asking me what I wanted for my 18th birthday, I said "stop smoking". I didn't think he would take me serious, but I am 35 now, and he has not had a smoke since. Think positive, all of your fellow HybridZ brothers are here to support you.

I wish the best of luck.

Jason

I quit 26 days ago.

I'm 29 and I smoked about 12 cigarettes per day since I was 18. I didn't consider myself to be a heavy smoker but I do feel much better now that I've quit.

My cravings are reduced now, but for the first two weeks I would read this webpage anytime I got a craving.

Cozy, you should try this if you get an urge. I hope we are both successful.

http://www.emphysema.net/my.html

Posted by Cozy:She could speak no English but now her and her sister are both Doctors... Only in America.

I met a guy going to Villanova that is living with my cousin who is from Somalia, who watched his parents and family get murdered in front of him. He proceeded to WALK to another country, and somehow found his own way to America where he is attending an ivy league college. Only in America is right, people are so amazing sometimes...

My mom was only able to quit smoking when she got pregnant. I know that's not really an option for you larry, but medical science is making leaps and bounds these days...

Best move I ever made. I quit in 97 and never looked back. Just do it for yourself. When I first quit I did everything I could to keep busy like vacuum the celing, sweep the roof, clean the gutters, paint everything in sight, fixed the fence. I was so busy that I was tired and got tons of extra sleep. Now I dont even think about it. I can have a glass of wine with my girlfriend and she can smoke and I dont care.

Now the girlfriend is one of those that can smoke 1 to 10 a day then not smoke anymore for a week. Go figure. I was either going 2 packs a day or nothing.

Hang in there Larry. I quit a few years ago, though I had only smoked for about 5 years. After a few weeks of quitting my head started messing with me. Thoughts like "you know, I smoke because I like smoking." After that I'd grab the mountain bike and head for dirt each time a craving hit. It's really difficult to want a cigarette when you can't catch your breath. ;)

I thought I should mention one other thing... I don't know how you're doing it, Larry; Cold turkey, Zyban, Nicorette, etc. In my case I did the gum and when those cravings hit hard a couple times it really helped to have a piece of Nicorette around. I'm talking 3 or 4 months down the line without having any nicotine in 2 months or so I still popped a piece of gum. It does help. The Zyban doesn't do anything if you don't have it in your system for 2 weeks or so, but the gum or the patch will give you that relief instantly. Keep some handy even after you think you're through.

For all of you that have or are in the process of kicking the habit, Congrats! I just wanted to say that I was an on and off smoker for awhile and I am so glad I kicked that habit. However, regardless of what anyone thinks, quitting smoking does not cause one to gain weight. It is usually that one modifies their eating habits after quitting (replacing one compulsion with another) as well as not exercising just as as they did when they were smoking. Because you are now eating, but still not exercising, it stands to reason that one may gain some or alot of weight. Since nicotene is an appetite surpressant and is usually combined with coffee which is also and appetite surpressant and a diuretic it stands to reason that when you quit smoking your body will be crave the food it has been deprived of. The trick is replacing the unhealthy habits with their exact opposites. Replace that cigerette with a water bottle, glass, or mug. I have a professor that does that. Not only do you have something in your hand, but you will be flushing out some of the 40 years worth of toxins built up from those wonderful cigerettes. You are most definatly here for a purpose. I do not believe life is ever spared for no reason! Again I say congragulations!!!