HybridZ

Updates and Questions on the LT1 swap.....

Gents:

Haven't posted in a while as the school year has started and teaching is consuming most of my time. I have been able to make a little progress on the LT1 swap and am finishing up the last bits of wiring. I have several questions that I've searched for already, but no help. BTW, if these border on the moronic, over look it - I just can't find an answer and am at a loss.

1). Anyone have pics of how they relocated their battery to the trunk? Even more specifically, behind the seats? My Odessey battery is mounted, but I've never relocated a battery before and there were no instructions with the kit. I recognize that I have to ground to the unibody - can that be done inside the car w/out issues? My next question is how do I wire the positive side? Does the extended cable go directly to the starter or to a remote post(?) or something?

2). For those of you who have done the LT1/T56 swap, how did you handle the neutral safety switch, or did you just not use one? I've looked through the JTR manual and searched here, but no clear answer for a T56.

Thanks in advance for any help, jeers, flames, etc. BTW, just completed the majority of the HotRod Air swap. If you're debating about whether or not to go with one of these systems (or a vintage air) do it! Very easy and clean to install. Freed up a good bit of space behind the dash as well. I just need to take the car - when it finally runs - to get the system charged.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Bryan

Dat240zg

Gents:

I recognize that I have to ground to the unibody - can that be done inside the car w/out issues? My next question is how do I wire the positive side? Does the extended cable go directly to the starter or to a remote post(?) or something?

Bryan

Dat240zg

I have not tried this myself but from everything I've read and with 40 years of electronics I'd run both leads to where the original leads went. You don't want to rely on the chassis for your engine ground, just asking for future problems. Of course this is just my opinion.

I relocated the battery behind the passenger seat in a Taylor battery box. I'll have to dig up some pictures for you.

I ran the ground to a bolt to the frame and routed the positive down the trans tunnel in a PVC pipe.

The box sits over the tool compartment, so I ran the Positive into the compartment, out the hole where the fuel pump lines are, into a 90 degree PVC bend to the trans tunnel, into a flexible PVC bend that had threaded ends (hole in the trans tunnel). That got me inside the trans tunnel, from there I just ran a PVC pipe to the engine compartment. I tested the ground with a meter and it seemed fine. I haven't started the engine yet, but all the tests were fine.

I can email you some pictures it you need them.

- Joe

I have my odyssey battery installed behind the passenger seat with a nice aluminum case I got off eBay. I grounded it to the bolt for the seat belts and yes the positive cable runs to the starter.

I did not use a neutral safety switch.

Guys: Thanks much again for your insite. Joe: Pics would be great. My email is Dat240zg@gmail.com. Pop: I had to relocate the battery due to the placement of the LT1 computer - otherwise I think that I would have kept the stock location.

Bartman: I think that you and I have pretty much the same setup. I looked for pics off of your site, but didn't see anything. Grounding to the seatbelt bolt is what I was looking for. As far as the postitive side, is there any danger to running the positive cable on the same side of the body as the braided fuel lines? BTW, when you switched to the ram air, what did you do with air intake setup that you were using prior to that? If it's still around, any interest in selling it (from the MAF to the airfilter)?

Thanks again. Startup d-day is Thanksgiving, or my wife may give me the move out talk..... :)