HybridZ

pilot bushing

evans280z

This quote is from an earlier post by technicalninja.

"Changing the pilot bearing is a good idea when replacing any clutch part. This part is also an across the board part. Any 240z-280ZX part number will work fine. You have to remove clutch then remove it with a bearing removal tool. Many parts stores will lend or rent this tool. There are ways to get this out with out the tool but save your self the hassle and obtain the tool- it will save time and sanity."

I'm not suggesting you do or don't do this, it's just an old trick. fill the cavity behind / inside the pilot bushing with grease, then using your clutch alignment tool (or a broom handle turned down to the right diameter) to 'hydraulic' the bushing out. In other words, push the tool in and the grease will push the bushing out.

those pilot bushings are in there pretty tight (they should be pressed in) so unless the tolerance btwn the ID of the bearing and the OD of the tool is extremely close, the grease will just squish out the sides. if its loose then it might work...the easiest way is to get a slide tool at the auto store. they come with bearing puller attachments

I tried the grease trick first....didn't work

Puller....didn't work.

I finally broke out a sharp chisel, knocked out a portion of the bushing and cleaned it out. Not suggested as it is difficult to not scratch the crank seat and its a pain to make sure you get all the brass chunks out (as they are stuck in their good with grease).

I used the chisel method. The brass is very soft, you only have to score it with the chisel, then get a small screwdriver and carefully collapse the bushing. Once that's done you can use compressed air to blow the chunks out.

I also didn't need to press my new one in, I just used a socket the same size as the bushing OD and a brass hammer and tapped it in.

• 1 year later...

and What if it doesnt slide on the drive shaft. I know taking the tranny off was the easy part, but putting it back in is the hard part because the bushing does fit the shalf any more why? how do I put it back on the RIGHT way? thanks sorry to bring back the dead (link)

• 1 year later...

Bringing up an old thread. I figured after reading this post and using the grease method to successfully remove my pilot bushing, I should post what I did. I took the new pilot bushing with me to Lowes hoping that a wooden rod may fit into the bushing snug enough for it to work. I found that a 5/8" wooden rod (I went with an oak piece for strength) fit perfect in the bushing. It was slightly snug. After putting some bearing grease behind the bushing and wacking it a few times with my bfh, it came out really easy. I tried the "rent a tool" from a local auto parts place, but the tool was slightly too large to fit into the opening of the bushing.

I'm not suggesting you do or don't do this, it's just an old trick. fill the cavity behind / inside the pilot bushing with grease, then using your clutch alignment tool (or a broom handle turned down to the right diameter) to 'hydraulic' the bushing out. In other words, push the tool in and the grease will push the bushing out.

If this doesn't work use spuds instead of grease.

edit: just noticed the date.. silly me.

Nigel