HybridZ

Which spoiler works best?

Well i've had another guy from this forum from QLD PM me about buying it too, so i'll just post a couple more pics up so you can both have a look and one of you might want it. I'm about to go away for tonight and saturday so i'll take some pics and upload to here on sunday.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here are some pics for those interested in buying. It's a bit dirty and got a bit of white splattered paint on a bit of it, dunno how it got there but was there when i bought the car. Obviously it would need respraying for your car anyway. You can sort of see in 'spoiler2.jpg' that its not a perfect surface on the main top bit. its not perfectly straight. could almost use a bit of a level with bog or some glass resin before respraying. But it's not too bad, could just keep it as is and would look fine. Don't wanna hijack thread, Contact me through PM for more details etc.

spoiler1_thumb.JPG

spoiler2_thumb.JPG

spoiler3_thumb.JPG

spoiler4_thumb.JPG

DSC01935_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
(I'm putting this in an existing thread instead of starting a new one...)

I really like speedgato's spoiler, both from the shape / looks standpoint and the execution. It's got a nice hand-fabbed no-nonsense look to it, and from the look of it, it's inexpensive. Attachment is straightforward, just a series of what looks like bolts through the back lip of the hatch.

469134675_aac17c09ac_b.jpg

(apologies to speedgato for using the photo without asking first, in the sake of expediency)

Downside, it's non-adjustable.

This could be fixed, however, by using a piano hinge along the edge and NASCAR-style spoiler braces...there's not much real estate to attach the braces on the lower edge.

23705-06-08-400.jpg&w=&h=&page=popup

I'm not a fabricator by any means, but I LIKE this design and would like to replicate it with the above changes. Anyone have suggestions as how to best do it?

speedgato, any chance you could post a template of some sort based upon yours?

I'm currently making a mockup of this wing and I, too, would like to make it adjustable.

What do people think about aircraft grade prepreg fiberglass, thick enough to handle the force? Would make it easy to bond on the brackets that the NASCAR style adjusters can attach to so you'd have a nice clean surface.

I like exactly where speedgato's wing sits, I need to fab up some brackets and figure out those adjusters.

Might end up just making it to comply with the Auto-X rules similar to the pontiac wing posted in this thread.

I wonder if those brackets are custom made, or if they can be purchased somewhere.

Those were the brackets I was referring to except the slimmer struts would look nicer. Also, would three of those suffice? I think that would be enough to hold up the wing and support it.

I'm also leaning towards the thin strip of rubber to prevent air from escaping at that point.. bonded onto the fiberglass as well. Good thing is it can be easily painted to match body color.

If i can't find a hardware solution that works, and can be replicated easily to distribute, then I'm just going to make a fixed version just like speedgato's except fiberglass because that's what I got.

We made this one from "Home To-pot" parts. Still keeping our butts planted to the asphalt in high speed turns for the last 4-1/2 years now. It will flex a little and probably could have been placed at a softer angle. I'm a little hesitant to try something new after this set up has never failed us at 125mph in T9 at Willow or in the Roval T1-T2 at Cal. speedway. Very similar to Speedgato's version.

MSA-4.jpg

See how the one in the pic below is mounted using strips down the outside edges of the hatch? I'm going to make one mounted like that but it will be a spoiler, not a wing like in the pic. A spoiler similar in shape to the Chino240Z one, which by the look of it should produce a lot of downforce and a fair bit of drag.

280zx rear wing_thumb.jpg