HybridZ

New Mods to the detached garage!!!

Mikelly

So those of you who have been to my new place, you know how dim it was in the garage with those two puny little bulbs... Well not anymore...

Yesterday morning I went to lowes and used a gift card that had been given to me for $100, and I chipped in the rest... I bought 6 eight foot/two tube flourescant fixtures, two cases of tubes, a 200AMP panel (for later in the month when we upgrade the service) and some extra wiring "stuff... So later in the day a buddy of mine from a corvette site came over and helped me hang the fixtures. Today I finished up the wiring and man, talk about night and day... I CAN SEE!!!!

Next on the agenda is to get an additional five 4 outlet boxes mounted, and to mount the panel and meter base. Then I'll get the power company out there and get the second service done. After that, I'll be able to wire in the compressor and atleast get closer to "back in operation", even if the lift has to sit dismantelled in the corner for a while longer... We won't be able to start on the excavation and dig footers for the expansion until spring, as my friend with the equipment is tied up until then...

Making progress though! :2thumbs:

Mike

TBK, what kind of garage are you putting up? Seems that I out grew my attached two car garage and need to put up another for the toys and wrenchin space. Was thinking of something around the same size as yours with a stairway and a second floor loft.

OK, OK I'll take some pics and put them in the normal location, later today, how's that! :-)

Our addition to the detached garage will add 24X42 additional space to the existing structure which is 26X32 internally. It's all cinderblock construction. The important part about the addition is that it will have a ceiling height of 13Ft., which the current garage doesn't have.

Mike

That, and painting the rest of the walls white is also on the list, along with putting sheetrock on the ceiling (and insullating the ceiling!), once the rest of the wiring is done and the extra feeder to the 24X42 addition is complete... We did the math and I should have about 1750 square ft. of shop space in this combined shop... plus the two car attached garage at the house, which has an additional 625+Square ft. of space... WOOOHOOOO!!!! :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

Next time you go to buy bulbs (which will probably be a while), go to Costco. They sell both 4' and 8' bulbs by the case at probably 1/4 the price of Home Depot.

I laughed when I moved into my house a few years ago... 2 bay garage with one 40W lightbulb and a garage door opener light, and one outlet with a switch for the light. First modification was fluorescent lighting, a few switches and a bunch of outlets. Dont sweat wiring in new circuits (e.g. the 240V circuit for your compressor), you can wire that in yourself very easily.

- Greg -

Wire for all your overhead lighting first.

Put the sheet rock up covering the ceiling.

So you dont have to take the lights down latter to do it.

Then paint the ceiling and walls white.

I read quikly through the thread. Sorry for the repeat.

Let me know when you want to do it, I will come up and help.