HybridZ

q45 v8 or turbo supra motor help!!

joe d.

88 turbo supra or q45 v8 in my 240z  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 88 turbo supra or q45 v8 in my 240z

• q45 v8
    • 88 turbo supra

OK people i have two options and need some opinions. I have a 72 240 z and can't decide which to use the q45 v8 or the turbo supra motor. I have both engings and transmissions both rebuilt from oil pans to valve covers.And if anyone knows which is easier to do let me know. And all the tech info i can get would be great!!! thanx people!!

both are awesome motors, but i have pretty much no experience with either in a Z. Depending on your power goals and what u want in your Z, your decision will really vary. Both are great motors, but have very different characteristics. Both swaps have been done, but i can't recall who's done the vh45de. The supra swap can be found if u just do a member search on z-gad, who as of now is almost about to break 8's in his Z with his current 2jz setup. The vh and 2jz can both make ungodly amounts of hp, but as everyone knows, nothing can mess with the 2jz because of it's awesome head design and forged internals...700whp is not unseen on stock internals and is done everyday. The vh on the other hand is higher compression motor (10 to 1 versus the supra's 8 to 1) and the Vh being an aluminum block as well with be lighter than the 2jz but will not handle boost as well as the 2jz due to it's higher CR and aluminum block versus the supra's cast iron. big horsepower is not difficult on the vh45 but supra numbers are not feasable without the internals replaced, but mind you, these blocks have seen over 500whp on stock blocks. My opinion is to decide what the car is going to be most used for, then decide:D I personally would go vh45 due to it's nissan heritage, v8 torque and it's abundance in junkyards; a low boost turbo setup would make for an insane Z. The 2jz is an amazing motor, but it's cast iron block and size make it more of a candidate for a drag car. Being an dohc inline 6, the 2jz will not sit as far back as the vh45, making the vh45 a better candidate for neutral handling and it'll keep your weight down. Best of luck in your deicision and let us know how it works out! btw make sure to check out z-gad's ride, it's siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick:icon47:

Guest wanta280zx

I would think the toyota 7mgte would be more cost effective. Also an easier swap, IE the header probally won't need to be custon fabbed like the v8. no real fitment issue. I never did an engine swap before but thats just my 2 cents. If money isn't an issue than do whatever! :)

The vh on the other hand is higher compression motor (10 to 1 versus the supra's 8 to 1) and the Vh being an aluminum block as well with be lighter than the 2jz but will not handle boost as well as the 2jz due to it's higher CR and aluminum block versus the supra's cast iron. big horsepower is not difficult on the vh45 but supra numbers are not feasable without the internals replaced, but mind you, these blocks have seen over 500whp on stock blocks.

The static compression is 10:1 but the dynamic compression is a bit lower. The VH actually responds to boost very well.

An iron block can definitely be stronger but don't believe for a minute that an aluminum block will be a lot weaker. The VH's block is very strong and can handle some major power. There's actually some guys in NZ that did a twin turbo VH in a boat. From what I understand, only on a factory rebuild they're making somewhere in the range of 1,000 hp. Granted they have much better cooling capability being in a boat but that still shows the major potential of the VH.

With aftermarket rods and pistons it could be a monster. I think if you could do a good "turbo" cam regrind it would be even better. Being setup for N/A it likely has a higher amount of overlap. Reduce the overlap and optimize the duration and such for a turbo setup and it would be simply awesome.

If you wanted to keep it N/A the VH still has a lot of potential there as well.

If you're planning on driving this on the street a lot I'd stick with the VH. It has some incredible low end torque, which would make for a much more fun ride on the road than something that's a bit more peaky.

Ok now i 've really got a problem. I was at my local junk yard today and they just got in 9 350z's 6 A/T and 3 M/T. so i bought one of the 2004 M/T swaps (motor,trany,ecu,harness,d/shaft and a butt load of brakets and bolts) all for $2800 with 31,281 miles. And yes they have more if anyone is interested. my question is how the hell does this thing go in to my 72z. oh and i decided to put the 7mgte in my 77z but first the block and head are going to AMS for some new slugs , rods and bump sticks. so if anyone has got any info on the 350z - 240z swap please let me know.

• Administrators
my question is how the hell does this thing go in to my 72z.

This probably won't help much but... The VG30DETT has been successfully installed in an S30 at least a couple of times. My point? the VQ35, believe it or not, is substantially 'tidier' than the VG30DE.

• 2 weeks later...

If you plan on using the factory ECU you're going to need to go back to the junkyard and get the pedal assembly from the 350z. It should have the sensor on it you will need for the Drive By Wire. Then you'll have to find a way to graft it onto the Z pedal assembly or use the entire 350z pedal in your 240. I thought about this swap myself and that is one thing i just didn't feel like dealing with.

You can also swap the VQ30 timing assembly from a 95+ maxima and use the maxima ECU or a stand alone. The VQ30 timing chain setup disables the VTC's so you can use any ECU. Or just leave them unpluged.

Alex

(PS this came about because maxima guys are swapping in 3.5's where their 3.0's were just by changing the timing chains and tuning the ECU it all bolts together same mounts and all)

i know im going to come off sounding like an ass.. but i feel it needs to be said. you spent 2800 on a vq35 and parts and the first thing you did was jump on here and ask "ok how the hell does this go in my z?". it sounds like your way in over your head. most of the guys here dont mind helping.. but i doubt anyone is going to spoonfeed you. case in point the vq drive by wire system.. its gonna be a job.. one which you obviously didnt see coming which tells me you arent doing ANY research. you need to do research. the 7m and vq45 transplants have been discussed over and over and over and anyone could at this point, read through the posts/threads to make thier own decision about which motor to choose through pro's and con's. And im saying this assuming you have quite a bit of automotive knowledge and are just not doing homework. because if your lacking in mechanical skill.. you need to stick to the 7m if your hell bent on doing a swap because it will be much easier to put in, in all aspects of doing a swap. all this of course is my opinion.

i know im going to come off sounding like an ass.. but i feel it needs to be said. you spent 2800 on a vq35 and parts and the first thing you did was jump on here and ask "ok how the hell does this go in my z?". it sounds like your way in over your head. most of the guys here dont mind helping.. but i doubt anyone is going to spoonfeed you. case in point the vq drive by wire system.. its gonna be a job.. one which you obviously didnt see coming which tells me you arent doing ANY research. you need to do research. the 7m and vq45 transplants have been discussed over and over and over and anyone could at this point, read through the posts/threads to make thier own decision about which motor to choose through pro's and con's. And im saying this assuming you have quite a bit of automotive knowledge and are just not doing homework. because if your lacking in mechanical skill.. you need to stick to the 7m if your hell bent on doing a swap because it will be much easier to put in, in all aspects of doing a swap. all this of course is my opinion.
#1 I new about the drive by wire before i bought the swap because i have a 350z. #2 I will never be in over my head and did not ask to be spoonfed.#3 I allready put the 7m engine in my 72 240z and bought a 75 280z for the vq35 which i dropped in yesturday. #4 i am and did do research. I never would have bought the engine unless i knew it would fit. And #5 I've been working on cars& doing swaps since i was 11 years old. I now own a shop and have over $80,000 in tools and yes I know how to use them all. I know what i'm doing. I just figured someone local might be interested in helping out and then they could pass on that knowlege to someone else. and none of this is my opinion.icon12.gif

Mario, when you say an entire dash from a 350Z, do you mean the factory guages also, or just the dash form with different guages. I would love to use the complete dash with the factory guages; I just don't know how to get them to work electronically. What about the computers, sensors, etc?