HybridZ

BHJ Damper problems... :(

24OZ

I finally got to the stage of my build to put my damper on, BHJ damper purchased from Rebello with a 60 tooth trigger attached.

I push the damper onto the crank and tapped it in centrally with a mallet. I ahve not even tightened it yet and I notice that the bolts holding the trigger wheel are touching the timing cover.:confused2

Has anyone else found this?

What is the fix? Appreciate any help on this as its really holding me back..

Sounds just like what I had happen if the back side of a regular oem damper did not get cut back so my TEC2 trigger wheel would clear the timing cover.

I'm sure thats what is happening, although its hard to belive Dave didn't know this would happen. Also hard to belive the new damper wouldn't be made to accept the wheel w/o contact....

Prolly going to have to be installed on the front of the wheel, like TimZ did on his BHJ damper with the TEC2 wheel.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103543&highlight=BHJ+damper

bhj2.jpg

I am really dissapointed to say the least.

I am sure Dave didnt get it wrong and I am hoping that I have overlooked something.. but what?

Here is a picture of the back of it, the studs are touching the timing cover.

165622648.jpg

Thanks very much for checking. Seems they overlooked this.

I will try and remove the bolts, but I am sure it wont be easy since they have probably been loctited.

Just another setback... when will this engine ever be done...

Thanks guys..

I may even email Dave to let him know, just so that it wont happen again and others aren't in the same position.

Now I am a litle confused on the wheels. When I was putting mine together the engine management system specified an electromotive style trrigger wheel. My bad if I got something wrong here. First time with the trigger wheel setup and still learning...

The TEC is made by Electromotive, so there is no difference between a "TEC-style" trigger wheel and an "Electromotive-style" trigger wheel.

As you can see from the pic above, Joel's and my BHJ dampers have the trigger wheel mounted on the front, instead of being sandwiched in behind the damper, so there was no way for us to have such a problem (I was really confused until I saw the pic of 240Z's damper).

By far the best solution would be to countersink the holes and use flathead allen machine screws (loctite them in), as z-ya suggested. Once you get the screws and the countersink bit, it's about 10 minutes worth of work on a drill press. You could probably even get away with using the coutersink bit with a hand drill if you have a steady hand (drill press would be far better, though).

Thanks for the help, it's very much appreciated.

I managed to remove the studs fairly easily. I firstly want to mount the damper with the wheel using no studs at all, just to ensure there is no clearance issues with the damper and the thickness of the trigger wheel. Then if there is till no issue, I will do as you guys have suggested, counter sink the holes and get flat bedded bolts.

• 12 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I am in a similar position to George. I have one of these BHJ dampers and want to fit a trigger wheel to it. When the damper is installed on the engine there doesn't appear to be enough space between the damper and timing cover. The wheel I have is not the one from BHJ and is the standard 5mm thick but I think the gap looks to be less than 5mm. How did you get on George?

I have a BHJ dampener with a trigger wheel for an Electromotive ignition system with sufficient clearance. My set up uses flat head screws and a 3mm thick trigger wheel.

Countersink you trigger wheel and use flat head screws, The head of the screw should be flush with the back side of the trigger wheel. Looking at my car I think your 5mm thick trigger wheel will fit. 

If your BHJ dampener uses Imperial-inch threads to attach the trigger wheel you will need to use an 82 degree countersink if it has metric threads you will need to use an 90 degree countersink this is important.

Not the best picture Zoom in to see flat head screw. 

Erik

20190202_205236.jpg