HybridZ

turbo l28 in a 74 skyline

schwiplarkin

i just recently purchased a 74 rhd skyline with intentions of putting my turbo motor in it , and i just found my first problem. after i had the L20a hanging in the air from my hoist i realized that the oil pan is the opposite to the L28 , so that the hump was at the front to clear the stearing arms, but the l28 the hump is in the rear to clear the steering rack. i cant beleive that i didnt see it before , but i tend to drink while i work on my cars. anyways i did a rough measurement with the l28 on my stand and it seems that it might be 1.5 inches to short but it is hard to tell since i didnt check the clearance before hand , and i also have the tranny out so i cant throw it back in and check. i guess my question is has any one here done that conversion and do you think im ok??

The pans may be interchangeable. Do not remember for sure. As for the pickups. The bottom of the L28 blocks have 2 flat spots for the oil pick up. Drill out the same spot as the L20A. This way you can use the L20a's pickup and with any luck the oil pan. Also do not forget to block off the old pick up spot with a plate. Have done this before with a hand drill but would reccommend taking it to a machine shop just in case...My project has a modified pickup as I had one laying around already. However my buddies engine required the drill out method. Drilling it out is the better way to go...

The Maxima pan does not work. On all the GC10 and GC110 (the car he has) the oil pan is completely unique. The sump is extremely wide from left to right but front to back is only about 8 inches long. Eric is right about the pick up point. You might need to drill it out and plug the old one. As for the height, the L28 will fit easily into the bay.

Also, welcome to Skyline ownership. You will find a few things are pretty unique. I also assume you are the new owner of Brian Galloways white KGC110. He told me it went to Colorado.

Brian

Just a thought but how about using the L20A crank and rods in the L28 block. Custom pistons would probably be needed. Would be able to rev higher and be unique for a turbo motor. If you think you may want to go twin turbo on the L6 let me know I have a twin manifold at my other garage. LHD cars are too difficult for the twins....

i honestly dont know but isnt the stroke shorter on the l20? i want more displacement not less. AKWIKZ, how much does your kenmeri weigh? mine feels really heavy compaired to my two zcars. i think im going to start collecting stroker parts this winter , im going to need the extra torque to push this heavy thing around.

Let's see if I can answer all the questions. The crank of the L20 uses a slightly shorter stroke from that of the L28. From what I have read, you can use the L20 crank and rods in an L28 block to yield a 2.6 liter that will rev like no other. The long rods and short stroke would be somewhat comparable to the RB26. With forced inducion and quality parts you coul spin that thing over 8k.

As for the weight question, according to my books, the KGC110 weighs in at 1145 kilos (2524 pounds). Not quite as light as my KGC10 or an early S30, but by no means portly. When you say it "feels very heavy", are you referring to actually pushing the car around? Or is this the way it feels when you drive it? You need to keep in mind that the L20 is no powerhouse. Especially one as old and tired as yours is bound to be. Also, if I remember correctly, you are running S.U. carbs, a stock exhaust, and a points distributor. Even the L20 that came in my '71 felt pathetic. This one has trips, a Trust header and exhaust, and an E.I. distributor. It sounded absolutely beautiful, but it couls barely move fast enough to get out of it's own way. You will find that even a healthy L28 will make a huge difference.

Brian

my buddy had the same problem when putting a KA in his 510. we just cut the crossmember toward the ends and welded it in the other way, it only took us like an hour, and with the middle of the crossmember facing the other way, it easily clears the pan, it should work too if it is similar to the 510's crossmember.

Unfortunately, the set up is just different enough to be a pain in the butt. I have been dealing with the various pan scenarios for a while now. The GC10 and GC110 Skylines use recirculating ball steering, just like the 510. The problem arises with how far inboard the steering links move during their stroke. The crossmember is actually not too much of an issue in comparison. Any oil pan with a decent sized sump in the rear area will interfere with the steering. You really will get an appreciation for the Nissan engineers when you see it. They put the sump in the only place they had any real space available, in front of the crossmember.

Brian

If the L20A doesn't work out for some reason let me know and I can get you one. However I cannot think of why it won't. I applaud you for keeping the L gata series in the car. Turbo L6's are alot of fun and parts are easy to come across...Not to mention easy to wrench on...and wallet friendly....Do you by chance have the japanese paperwork for the car?

im sorry green, i dont understand, you can get me "one" what? i have a good budy of mine that was trying to talk me into dropping a small block into it , but i think that would be a bit sacreligious ,and i already have a v8Z. And i love my l28, it has a t3/t4 turbo , holey 750 four barrel with direct port nitrious. i ran a 12.79 last year in my z without the notrious and that was a mile up.

Hi. The C110 Skyline was also sold in Australia as the Datsun 240K. These guys should be able to help you out with C110 specific questions, like the sump problem you are having. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102

If the L20 crank in a L28 block with L28 pistons produces a 2.6 liter engine, then it sounds like the L20 crank is pretty much the same as a L24 crank. L24 crank in a L28 also makes a L26 i hear, but the opposite of the L26 made by Nissan (which was a L24 bore, with L28 stroke, where as this would be L28 bore with L24 stroke).

I have an L28 in my 240K. It was in it when I bought it, so i dont know what work was involved with the sump to fit it.

Always good to see pictures :)