HybridZ

I should be dead/trouble will steering

I drove 100 miles like this+ rain+ night+no defroster at about 45mph and should be dead. I've used whatever lives/ 1 ups etc. that I have left. I really wish my car would have just died so I'd have no choice but use AAA.

Symptoms

-When driving straight the steering wheel is at 12 o clock (sometimes)

-When driving straight the steering wheel is at 9 o clock (sometimes)

(It would float between these two points and the steering wheel would have a lot of play/wheels would track on every bump/puddle)

I want to say a tierod fell off but I stopped and turned my wheels at full lock and got out and saw that they had turned. I'll check tomorrow whens its bright/dry. I also noticed that the dust boots to the steering rack are pretty much gone/old/dead so I was wondering if my steering rack(manual) could have died?(doesn't seem like it should since its mechanical) Any advise would be appreciated, I'm glad to be typing this right now.

I had a rack-and-pinion come loose once. The mechanic who installed it bolted it in wrong. Steering became a bit loose so I pulled off the highway. The steering wheel locked up the moment I parked. Yeah... I should be dead too and maybe some others....

Glad your still around... now if it were me I would first check what Mike suggested (the bolts holding the rack), after checking them loose or not I would go through and systematicaly check every single bolt, nut and component in the steering system and that means from the steering wheel all the way to each front tire and don't skip anything. If you do not feel that you can do the job yourself take it to a shop and let them check it out, but be prepaired for the under car show and lecture about how you could have been killed just by driving the car, and last but not least take a look at what he tells you he found then fix it or get it fixed.

Dragonfly

The physical mounting of the steering rack is loose.

The steering coupler has come a part.

The steering shaft is not properly attached to the input shaft of the steering rack.

The ties rods are shot.

The tie rod lock nuts are loose.

Broken steering arm.

Offset camber bushing in LCA is loose.

Camber plates are loose.

Broken TC rod.

Had some midterms last week, finally able to get under it. And I cant find anything visibly wrong. Although I'm not sure what a steering arm is(unless its the piece that goes through the engine bay and connects steering wheel to rack.)

Anyhow, what I've noticed.

-When parked steering works as it should as far as I can tell.

-When moving. When the wheel is centered and I turn it clockwise I immediately get steering input and turn right.(good) However, when the steering wheel is centered and I turn it counter clockwise, I have to turn it till about the 9 o'clock position until I get any steering input and turn left.(bad)

I've gone through the above checklist and am looking for any ideas before I take off the rack tomorrow and see if it is broken.

Parallel park your car with the left front tire against a curb to prevent it from moving. Then have a friend attempt to turn the wheel left to right while you watch all of the joints in the steering system for movement.

Check the u-joint in the steering shaft from the column,

check the splines where the shaft couples to the rack,

check the tie rod ends for ANY movement in the joint,

and check the lower ball joints for ANY movement.

I wouldn`t drive this car anywhere until you get this problem figured out. It sounds like a potentially deadly to me. I would hate to see the offending part fail at highway speed or heavy traffic.

I wouldn`t drive this car anywhere until you get this problem figured out. It sounds like a potentially deadly to me. I would hate to see the offending part fail at highway speed or heavy traffic.

The point I was trying to make in a half joking manner.

My bet is you are missing some teeth in the rack unit, but Denny's procedure will eliminate all the other possibilities.

My tie rods are definitely old and the steering is a little bit loose and when the car is sitting you can turn the wheel and there is a little noise and clunking and I have crawled under the car and pulled on the wheel and looked for where the play is. I have one ball joint that is dead and on the other side I have a dead tie rod end. Going down the road is a little loose but nowhere near as bad as yours. Good luck figuring out your problem!!

Also do you think that with your ultra low backspace wheels could be putting extra stress on the steering rack?

Took out steering rack and as far as I can tell its fine. I've been able to get ahold of the steering shaft bushing and the steering wheel at the same time and find no play so I'm pretty sure column is alright. Sheered one of the rack bolts(who knew there was a nut on top) so I'm waiting to get a ride to a hardware store so I can put it back together, align it, and crash it into a wall. Thanks for the help guys.

You over looked JohnC post. I bet you a lot of money it's the last item on JohnC's list. I had this happened to my ZX recently. The Tension compression rod broke right where the bushing is. Sometimes the bushing still stuck on there and you can't really see whether it broke or not. You just have to use a long pry bar and wiggle the front wheel forward and you will see it. It is a scary feeling when this happens. On a ZX the TC rod is bolting to the front so as soon as it broke you will feel it. On a Z the TC rod is bolt to the back so you won't notice it until you turn the steering wheel. GL

Vinh