HybridZ

Clutch fluid question . . .

Garrett76Zt

I'm having some disengagement issues with my clutch at the moment. Dont think its disengaging fully. Anyways there appears to be no leaking of clutch fluid and the pedal is properly adjusted. But my clutch fluid is black. I'm curious if this could be evidence of fluid blowing by a seal in the master or something? I will try bleeding it out and checking piston travel on the slave in the next day or so I'm just curious about the fluid color.

Garrett, I had that happen in my 240. It was just an accumulation of sludge etc.. that broke loose. Everything worked much better after i bled all the lines till clean fluid came out.

Did you pull the boot back on your slave and check for fluid? Your level is not dropping is it?

Sounds like maybe its time for some new parts!

There is one other possibility (unlikely) that your pivot ball on your trans is really worn, or the clutch fork is tweaked.

Evan

the black stuff you see is water mixed with the brake fluid. Read up on the stuff. It is hygroscopic and miscible with water. Brake and clutch fluid should be changed regularly. Period depends on your own comfort level. I do mine at least every two years or shorter if it is really black. IF the fluid gets hot enough the water boils and you no longer have an incompressible fluid in your hydraulic system - which is what you need for it to work properly. Or do you really have fluid in the reservoir one of the young guys in our club couldn't figure out why his clutch no workee. He said see I have fluid when you look at the translucent resevoir but when I pulled the cap there was nothing there but a film of sludge.

I have had my clutch master fluid look like that as well with poor shifting. Plus I have seen it on other Datsuns. Seems to be common but I don't know why. The brake masters do not seem to get that dirty. Perhaps because they get more attention? Anyway I flush mine every spring now when it goes back on the road. Also got a braided line for the slave cyl. installed this year. Have not had any more problems.

You should flush/bleed the system every year or two... to get rid of moisture... even if it sits in the garage.. the fluid will accumulate moisture over time... unless it is silicone based...

A common problem is maladjustment of the pedal pushrod... The manuals state the method for attaining proper adjustment.. follow it to the letter and it will feel great...

Take the piston( slave cylinder) apart and clean it out all the crap over the years gets down in there. I took mine apart when I was reinnstalling the trany and it was full with black sludge.It dosen't take long just some degreaser and rag and a screw driver and a wrench.Your going to blead it any ways. .

well because I'm using the z32 trans i had to use a longer clutch slave line (240sx) well when i got under there it looks like in addition to my fluid issues the line had gotten kinked up a bit. A few quick adjustments to the line and a good flush/bleed job and its 10x better. Looking forward to the next time at the track now.

i didnt have time to read the whole post but if u had a bad seal in ur master cylinder ur car would go no where ive removed and replaced my tranny 4 times now im gettin dam good at it... one thing u might want to check is if the clutch fork is on right mine wasnt so it snaped and then check the throw of the slave push pin....