HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

I also have the seat trims.

I didn't like the colour all that much when I first saw them in the GTOs (see photo #1) but the more I thought about it the more I got used to it. Unfortunate, as they will be the last item to be done on the project, I won't be in a position to fit them for some time.

post-1266-0-33609000-1379740869_thumb.jpg

post-1266-0-29788200-1379740902_thumb.jpg

post-1266-0-87012300-1379740920_thumb.jpg

post-1266-0-41867800-1379740942_thumb.jpg

Hiya mates,

I'd like to ask about the front turn signal and tail lamps for the GTO conversion. Real GTO lamps are rare and expensive, but vintage Lucas ones are not.  Would you please tell me the exact diameter?  I have a set of (MGA?) lamps but the black boot holding the lens looks odd.  I'd like a set of Lucas lamps, but they look like different diameters, and eBay sellers tell you "about 2 3/4 inches" is the exact diameter.

cheers

The square lights?  I have a set of KC lights that came with the kit. I can give you the part number

Yes, My kit had no lamps, so I need everything.  I'm referring to the two clear rectangular driving lamps on the nose.  I'd appreciate the information, and if you can a little description of how they were installed.

To add to that from my GTO book:

It was the  final GTO with the 1962-style body. Purchased on 6. Sept. 1962, it was painted Rosso Cina (China Red) and was LHD. It finished second in the Tour in 1964 (same drivers), and was featured in a a British magazine that compared it to the Pontiac GTO.  It was recorded competing in various rallyes and hillclimbs, and had only one recorded accident during competition.

So why was it so valuable, besides it was the last of the '62 bodies with a '63 chassis? Staring in 1964, the GTO bodies were noticeably different, so that might be the reason.

Edited by TomoHawk

Yes, My kit had no lamps, so I need everything.  I'm referring to the two clear rectangular driving lamps on the nose.  I'd appreciate the information, and if you can a little description of how they were installed.

These are what I used.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BLZ0/DF1073KB/N0393.oap?ck=Search_N0393_-1_-1&pt=N0393&ppt=C0335

Not a perfect fit, but I don't mind the chrome bezel sticking out a little bit.

post-4015-0-98115100-1381964775_thumb.jpg

Installation was pretty simple.  I drilled a hole in the center of the molded mounting bucket for the wiring, then using just the lamp and front bezel as a template I drilled the two holes for the mounting screws.  Secured it all with a couple lock nuts.  To make it all fit snug, I cut a couple of gaskets from a sheet of cork to go between the bulb and fiberglass.

post-4015-0-82173900-1381964777_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tip, 78Z/250.  The red brake lamps would be fine, and the price is not bad, but you can't get amber lenses, and you still need something else for the front turn signals.  What are you using for the fronts?  I looked into some vintage-style Lucas lamps, but they are just a few millimeter to big to fit the front holes.

Right now I have a set of old MG lamps, but I don't like the rubber boots they use to hold the lenses on.  They look too fiddly or weak.

• 2 weeks later...

Rosso Cina

I have researched this (on the web) until I can research no more. None of the following should be taken as absolute fact.

- In 1962 Ferraris were most likely painted with a product supplied by Italver, Duco (DuPont), Max Meyer or Salchi

- Cars bodied by Pininfarina used Italver or Max Meyer

- Cars bodies by Scaglietti (incl. 250 GTO) used Salchi

- Ferrari ‘Rosso Cina’ code is 20.456 S – ‘S’ for Salchi?

- PPG (Du Pont) bought Italver and Glidden bought Salchi

- later PPG bought Glidden and Salchi

- FIAT/Lancia offered products in a colour titled ‘Rosso Cina’ in the 1960s

- Alfa Romeo had a ‘Rosso Cina’ (AF 521) in 1968-73

AF521 is the colour I have chosen for my car and I had a sample sprayed on a spare panel.

kt9f.jpg