HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

I would like to ask if anyone would please submit a few photos of the conversion process, so I could 'sell the idea' to a friend that's interested in helping me out.  Maybe we could build two!

Photos:

front clip installed

Rear clip installed

door skins installed

hood hinges attached to chassis

THanks!

Hey TomoHawk,

Not sure how I missed this post.

I know you you're not building a roadster like mine, but I have quite a few photos on my VR build thread (http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/85830-vacaville-velo-rossa/ )that might give your friend the general scope of the whole project. 

Hope this helps.

I'd like to keep mine simple.

Why did you modify the gas cap pocket?  I assumed the supplied Le Mans gas cap would fit the pocket as-is. Otherwise the Factory Five gas cap  interests me.  It seems to be what matches the description in my Blue Ray assembly manual.

Edited by TomoHawk

Finally got around to fitting the Tuffy lock and finger pull to the boot (trunk) lid. Very straightforward.

I had to trim down the finger pulls as can be seen in the photos and I ordered only side-mounted finger pulls so I had the file new notches into one pull to have it positioned pointing rearward.

I can't see there will be any problems with the doors.

FWIW,  it seems like you can get two tyles of finger pulls, side...  and top/Bottom.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-148-topbottom-finger-pull-lever-for-pushbutton-lock.aspx

Edited by TomoHawk

I saw a photo of a Datsun valve cover that was modified to resemble a Ferrari valve cover with black wrinkle paint and a Ferrari logo.  Has anyone seen it, or have any ideas how you could do all that?  The black wrinkle paint  sounds easy, but what about the lettering?  IMO< t would probably need to be cut  but of thin plastic (heat-resistant) or metal glued to the paint. 

It would depend on how far you want to go and what sort of appearance you are after.

An important factor of early Ferrari valve covers is their simplicity - they were racing cars in those days not the the display of opulence of today. Apart from the Ferrari name the series of parallel ridges is just as significant.

I'm not all that familiar with a Z valve cover but here is how I would probably go about it.

- Have a machine shop mill the top of a cover removing any raised sections  and ensuring there is a flat section 1" wide along the center. You could even do it yourself with a hand grinder.

- Obtain a strip of aluminium flat bar (1" x 1/4") to fit along the top.

- Drill three holes (about 1/2") through the cover where the aluminium is resting.

- Weld the aluminium bar to the valve cover from inside ensuring the weld seals the holes.

- Have an industrial engraver create the Ferrari logo and grooves.

- Finally, POWDER COAT. Do not paint as powder coating looks 10 times better and you will lose the details of the engraving if you use paint.

I was able to engrave directly into the valve cover but the outcome should be the same

post-1266-0-08356600-1419291179_thumb.jpg

post-1266-0-90762200-1419291210_thumb.jpg

post-1266-0-94232100-1419291608_thumb.jpg

I'd like to keep mine simple.

Why did you modify the gas cap pocket?  I assumed the supplied Le Mans gas cap would fit the pocket as-is. Otherwise the Factory Five gas cap  interests me.  It seems to be what matches the description in my Blue Ray assembly manual.

to whom are you addressing this question?

If you buy the TUFFY pushbtton locks...

Don't take the screw off the arm! 

If you take the screw off, the whole lock spring & cylinder will come out, and you'll never get it all back in. (I spent two hours trying.)    If you must take the screw or the arm off, pull out the  shaft, then use a small vice-grips to grab it so it doesn't go back in, then you can remove the screw or arm.

Otherwise, the Tuffy lock is compatible with the other similar pushbutton lock I got recently.  The the finger pull plate will fit right on, and I didn't need to cut any slots. You do need to pay attention   to how the lock is oriented  in the hole, and make a new arm. 

Edited by TomoHawk

• 5 weeks later...

Found these two at a local consignment dealer.  

post-4015-0-57170400-1421880891_thumb.jpg         http://www.specialtysales.com/vehicles/11090

post-4015-0-30330700-1421880893_thumb.jpg         http://www.specialtysales.com/vehicles/11089

Both would make nice daily drivers or weekend drivers, but IMHO, the owner has them priced like show cars.  Too many flaws to list.  The Velo Rossa's bonnet fits worse than mine. I hope he gets what he's asking for them.  A rising tide lifts all boats. :2thumbs:

Edited by Fauxre
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow, talk about lifting all boats - how about a "By It Now" of $140,000!!!!!!   http://www.ebay.com/itm/400873630999?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

If they get anywhere north of $50,000 I might just have to sell.  :o 

Update:  Wow it got up to $74,011.00 but didn't meet the reserve. 

Edited by SpeedRacer

• 4 months later...

I think mine is finally done? 

Mine has totally stock Zed equipment.  I think I will add a diamond vinyl  floor cover with carpet 'floor mats' and a carpet rear deck.   I'd like to add the Alphabet gauge pod after  or with restoring the dash.  I don't think I will use the scuderia badge, as I have a family crest that actually looks similar (yellow field with a black horse and great dane.)

I'd like to thank everyone for the input over the last few years, such as John Washington ar Reaction Reseach, Jim Simpson who made the kit, SpeedRacer, Boy from OZ, and Here Comes Trouble for all the technical information, St. Jude, and especially the Creator of all things; God.

I would like some recommendations for the Dayton rear wheels (dish and style.)

post-309-0-53704500-1436704031_thumb.jpg         post-309-0-84317200-1436704103_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomoHawk