HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

What kind of jack do you all use?

I've got the standard Zed scissor jack, and I'm wondering if it would cause damage to the bottom on the fiberglass rocker?  I suppose I could glue on a shallow piece of channel in the four places where you'd put the jack.  I think some kind of hard rubber would be better.  Both metal or hard rubber channel could be manufactured, then attached with glue or fasteners.

But faux jack hole covers for the antique Riganti jack would be a nice touch.

Here is a Riganti jack and a jack hole plug.  I'm surprised no one was killed using those jacks.

post-309-0-22272700-1492221805_thumb.jpg        post-309-0-23436500-1492221827_thumb.jpg

What kind of jack do you all use?

I've got the standard Zed scissor jack, and I'm wondering if it would cause damage to the bottom on the fiberglass rocker?  I suppose I could glue on a shallow piece of channel in the four places where you'd put the jack.  I think some kind of hard rubber would be better.  Both metal or hard rubber channel could be manufactured, then attached with glue or fasteners.

I welded moly tubing into the chassis inside the rocker and behind the front fenders. Technically, if I have a flat on the side of the road, i could use the original jack, but I also welded air jacks into the car so I can jack mine with an air hose. :)

One thing that got lost during the conversion is the air coming from the lower (foot) vents. As far as I can tell, the air comes from a 'scoop' that's part of the lower front wheel splash guard.   The air pressurizes the area inside the front fender and then flows through a passage to the lower vents.  When you remove the front bodywork, you remove the air scoop and the large duct formed by the fender & splash guard, so you no longer get the  forced air.

The 240Z didn't have the air scoop at the lower part of the front fender, so they added the plastic elbows from the radiator support to the fender area.

I used my shop vac to blow are into the lower vent and searched to see if the air came out somewhere, like the windscreen wiper linkage area, but that is for the intake of fresh air to the ventilation/heater system.  If I ha done this before permanently fixing the front bodywork,  I would have provided another air path, like a 1-inch hose from somewhere near the nose.The exact place where the air get to the lower vents  would be nice to know....

So my question is, how can you get air to the lower vents? A long hose from the brake cooling intake holes?  Air scoops on the sides by the engine vents?

It would also be nice to have some forced air into the upper (dash) vents, but that is easily done by adding the hood scoops and short ducting, like you are familiar with.

• 3 weeks later...

TomoHawk, Check around at various trophy shops and see if they can laser engrave.

al the trophy shops in my area are only able to engrave flat things like trophy plaques and medalions.  The best the could do for me is to engrave a metal disc and I would have to glue it to the wheel nut, which might even look like the Boranni nut.  Getting the disk machined is another tall hurdle, unless you have the CNC codes to do the work.  There aren't any small shops either-  all the older guys that worked from the home shops are out-of-business or retired.

I welded moly tubing into the chassis inside the rocker and behind the front fenders. Technically, if I have a flat on the side of the road, i could use the original jack, but I also welded air jacks into the car so I can jack mine with an air hose. :)

I suppose you never saw a certain Interet add for an air bag-jack that is inflated by exhaust?

Here's a new thing that I'd like to do this summer....

The Zed bonnet had the louvers, and the GTO wings have the vent slots, so can we make some kind of vent slots in the back corners of the engine bay?  I think I can get in there with a   11/2   inch hole saw and make two holes in a vertical line, then connect them for a slot.

Would that be a problem with the stock L28 engine?  You wouldn't want to end up with a banana car.

Otherwise,  I'll have to rig up a kind of spacer to hold the bonnet open about 3 inches, so the hot air can get out while parked or idling;  the open bonnet seems to attract attention. :o

Edited by TomoHawk

Here's something for you problem-solvers....

Car manufacturers start using VIN number in the mid-1950s, bur they were not standardized, even for any particular manufacturer, like Ferrari.

So, besides the chassis' individual serial number, did these cars have some sort of VIN?  I was able to find some bits of information:

Chassis designations:

400 SA:  538 U
250 SWB/SWB Cal/GTO:    539
250 GT Lusso:    539 U

Paint Code:

Rosso Cina paint code:  20456 S

So if you wanted to build a USA-style of a VIN, you could.  OTOH, each GTO was personally sold by the dealer to the owner, and probably new the owner very well, and there were only the few  cars made, so if you if you needed anything, you didn't have to enter the VIN (into  computer) to get a part...

But I'm still curious to see what there was at the time... 

• 5 weeks later...

Here's a new thing that I'd like to do this summer....

The Zed bonnet had the louvers, and the GTO wings have the vent slots, so can we make some kind of vent slots in the back corners of the engine bay?  I think I can get in there with a   11/2   inch hole saw and make two holes in a vertical line, then connect them for a slot.

Would that be a problem with the stock L28 engine?  You wouldn't want to end up with a banana car.

I drilled holes in the sheetmetal behind the front shock towers.. then reinforced it and added some 5" fans to help extract heat.. I feel like every little bit we can do helps

Hi all, I am a newbe. We are just finishing-up our Alfa-One, on a 74 260Z, stretched 4.5 inches, Powered by a BMW V-12, w/ 4 Weber Carbs, Aluminum Flywheel w/ Stage II clutch, 280 Z LS Rear end, Toyota 4runner 4 wheel discs and a ZF Dog Leg, 5 speed Transmission, and Porsche Power Steering Rack, (Hi-end everything, to be brief). We have just gotten the car back from the paint shop,( silverstone/ with a silver strip).
 We had bought a Refurbished set of Borrani RW 3801 wheels and Splined hubs from MWS in GB. but the Deep offset of the RW 3801 wheels will not work on the front, so two of the wheels are currently posted on Evil bay, ( perfect and correct for the rear), and are looking for a more correct, lip laced wheels for the front. There are a couple of Videos on U tube, done during to build process. (go to Datsun Ferrari 250GTO, Weber or something such as). Regards all, Bob Lesher in Astoria Oregon

After all  the work you did, are you ready for people to tell you the car is a "fake" or a "Nissan kit car?"  There are basically no armchair car enthusiasts that will appreciate a well-made anything, especially when they expect to see a $50 million car...

Edited by TomoHawk

Welcome 1alfanatic,

Sorry I can't help with the wheels.  Most of us with wire wheels run custom Dayton wheels.  Nice wheels but they are not Borrani's.  Sounds like a very interesting project so how about posting a few pictures? 

BTW, Chelle, who posted above, has a beautiful Z based GTO with the longer wheelbase and BMW V12.  She built it herself and is quite an enthusiast, so if you had any questions, I am sure she would be willing to answer them. 

Ferrari_32

Boranni got their modern (hub) design from Dayton...  You might say Boranni and Dayton wheels are essentially the same, because the only real difference is where the spoke go through the rim.

Edited by TomoHawk
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I am a newbe. We are just finishing-up our Alfa-One, on a 74 260Z, stretched 4.5 inches, Powered by a BMW V-12, w/ 4 Weber Carbs, Aluminum Flywheel w/ Stage II clutch, 280 Z LS Rear end, Toyota 4runner 4 wheel discs and a ZF Dog Leg, 5 speed Transmission, and Porsche Power Steering Rack, (Hi-end everything, to be brief). We have just gotten the car back from the paint shop,( silverstone/ with a silver strip).

We had bought a Refurbished set of Borrani RW 3801 wheels and Splined hubs from MWS in GB. but the Deep offset of the RW 3801 wheels will not work on the front, so two of the wheels are currently posted on Evil bay, ( perfect and correct for the rear), and are looking for a more correct, lip laced wheels for the front. There are a couple of Videos on U tube, done during to build process. (go to Datsun Ferrari 250GTO, Weber or something such as). Regards all, Bob Lesher in Astoria Oregon

Welcome!! Isn't this the car that was listed with several Alphas on "Bring a trailer" in the Pacific northwest a couple months ago?  Glad to see you're digging in on the car. Also I love the Montreal! I have a couple Urracos, which share the same distributor cap :) Your car is looking great! Please post more!

Also, did you get ignition system figured out? I followed the discussion on one of the BMW forums and saw Fred with the V12 Vette was showing his setup with 12 individual coils. I run 6 dual plug coils and waste spark (fire coils on both the compression and exhaust stroke), which means any ignition computer that can fire 6 coils can manage it. And I batch fire injectors To fire 12 + injectors individually i would need to either get an EFI technologies ECU (almost $5k) or treat the engine as 2 six cylinders and run a computer for the left bank, and another for the right bank.. even with the EFI Tech ECU, you still have to use waste spark.. Short of a custom configured MoTeC M880, with 12 ignition outputs (for around $3k), waste spark is necessary unless you want to treat the engine like 2 six cylinders.

Following on from the movie  http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/50042-250-gto-owners-thread/?p=1182927 I've put together a book about the build.

I just started out keeping notes for myself and any future owners about what went into the build for later maintenance and repair. Friends wanted to know how it was progressing so the notes morphed in quarterly journal entries.

Someone suggested I compile it into a photo-book and as it turned out I think it gives added provenance to the car.

post-1266-0-22948500-1499911375_thumb.jpg

post-1266-0-20148200-1499911290_thumb.jpg

post-1266-0-69755500-1499911331_thumb.jpg

Just a thought for those undertaking builds.

I might be able to find it in the GTO Replica Registry  or I could have it on the old Terry Watson registry list. 

Does it stioll exist?  I was going to add mine, but I don't think the GTORR is still online, for obvious reasons.

Think that 12 cylinder engine is wrong for the car, IMO.  It's too big and too heavy.  A lightweight 3 Litre V-8 with a short stroke would be more fitting, IMO, as it would be closer to  the original  specification. 

Edited by TomoHawk