HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With everything done to the bodywork that I'm prepared to do, the time came for the final painting.

The original light coating - to seal the primer while a 12 month assessment was carried out - was rubbed back.

105-1669-s.jpg

105_1677_s.jpg

Final coats applied

105_1688.jpg

105_1687_s.jpg

Then rubbed back with 1000, then 2000 and finally 3000 grit wet-n-dry.

I'd pushed my luck about as far as I was game by this stage so I engaged a professional car-detailer to do the final buffing.

orange_Peel_13.jpg

Orange_Peel_18.jpg

Orange-Peel-21.jpg

Really pleased with the outcome.

Edited by Boy from Oz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have just signed up as I am currently building a 1975 260Z based GTO, I am pretty sure it is an old Scorpian kit from here in the UK.

I spent ages last night reading every page on this thread and stealing pics and ideas for my build and I  doff my cap to some excellent work done.

I have not done an awful lot to the car since buying it as customers work has taken priority, the kit has been fitted quite well by the previous owner, the problem is it has been sat in primer for a couple of years so this needs to come off due to the risk of microblistering at a later stage.

The bonnet (hood)  has been extended at the front but I plan to take a mould from both this and the bootlid (decklid) as the quality of these two panels are not really up to scratch. I also want to enlarge the rear window due to the one being supplied with the kit being too small and too recessed.

I have been involved with kits and kit cars for a number of years here and funnily enough I know Smash quite well who posted around the start of this thread ( We both had Tribute 250 SWB kits.

Happy to put up some pictures if any body is interested and I have applied to join the Face Book group (pending)

Regards Jeff.

6 minutes ago, chelle said:

Can't wait to see your progress pics! 

Hi Chelle,

I was very impressed with your car, I actually had a few pics of it from the net before I saw it on here and Face Book.

These pics are from the advert and I have only really stripped the car down and taken the primer off.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (11).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Sadly the gauges are all labeled Smiths,

A very common gauge over here, I am hoping to cheat a bit and  get them re labeled, I also got the hard to find parts with car like the headlamp covers and stainless rims plus the bonnet fixings and perspex vents.

It also has the correct Marchal spot lights and the correct wing repeaters, the rear lights are BMC Mini so they will be replaced, I do have a set of Hillman Imp ones which may suite better.

The car drove on and off the trailer ok so I am hoping to not have to get too involved with that side of the build.

Thanks! The nose on yours looks more like an Alpha1 that someone cut the hood down on though. I'm going on the shape of the carious openings in the nose and the shape of the area around the parking lights, primarily.

Looks like a great start!!  Did you join the Facebook group too? 

On 1/26/2019 at 6:13 AM, Jeff H said:

...I have been involved with kits and kit cars for a number of years here and funnily enough I know Smash quite well who posted around the start of this thread ( We both had Tribute 250 SWB kits...

Welcome Jeff. Always great to have a new member and vehicle.

I'm fascinated by the prospect of a 250 SWB kit. Although it sounds like it was some time ago I'm sure we would all appreciate any information and photos you may have.

Thanks.

12 hours ago, Boy from Oz said:

Welcome Jeff. Always great to have a new member and vehicle.

I'm fascinated by the prospect of a 250 SWB kit. Although it sounds like it was some time ago I'm sure we would all appreciate any information and photos you may have.

Thanks.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the welcome, I fully read your build thread yesterday from the link you gave me, I am so tempted to mod the doors on mine to make them look more original, I wont be extending the wheelbase as Chell has done as that is a massive undertaking.

The 250 SWB was a kit from Tribute over here in the uk, some of you may be familiar with them ? they do the GTO kit for the Mazda MX5 (Miato)

that was actually taken from a Scorpian kit and then cut n shut to fit the Mazda, it is IMHO another one that doesn't work (No offence to anybody who has one) as the front is too short and the roof too long.

The SWB was based on a BMW Z3 Convertible, the quality of the kit left a bit to be desired but it was in fact a very clever and well thought out kit, we are able to register them properly over here as a rebody so no expensive and time consuming IVA test required.

I altered the kit quite a bit on mine, they were designed for a MGB Coupe rear screen to be fitted these were too recessed and too small so I changed that, I also raised the doors and sills as you have done, I also put a curve in the door to try and get it to look a bit more original.

The front end on the SWB was far too short but their was nothing I could do to overcome that , also the screen angle was miles out but again it was never intended to be an exact replica more of a look a like, I did square the body off at the top corners of the screen and fitted a moulding to reduce the slabbiness of the screen.

Any way I realize I am rambling on and don't want to spam up the thread with pics that are not GTO so will put a few up and leave it at that.

And this was one that I built for a customer, he went the whole hog and fitted Borrani wheels and had me fit a genuine SWB rear screen, we also modded the doors and sills on this one to, also moved the fuel filler to the other side.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Jeff, they are a couple of very impressive examples, I'm anticipating something special from you on the GTO.

You seem to have a similar issue with modification limits as we have down here. Stretching the wheelbase (a la 'chelle') would require extensive testing and re-engineering approval.

Hi Peter,

Yes under the rebody rules we are not allowed to cut in to the chassis or monocoque of the vehicle, once we do that we are in for a world of pain and have to go down the IVA route.

People do of course snip the odd bit off here and there like brackets and have to cut holes to re route pipes etc but it is no major drama.

This is a kit I painted for a chap local to me who makes the Formosa 120 GR, it is a rebody for a Herald or Vittesse and uses the original bulkhead for the pedals, servo etc, he also makes them fit the Scimitar which is a good doner.

DSC_0592.JPG

DSC_0602.JPG

DSC_0584.JPG