HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

We taped around the edges of the bonnet to stop the gel from creeping under and creating a mechanical lock, next we put what Lee called a skim coat of matting on, we also went round the edges with some tissue, this kept the edges from lifting.

DSC_0893.JPG

DSC_0895.JPG

We then moved on to the inside of the bonnet, it was of coursed waxed with the release mould wax, then gelled up, a skim coat of matt  was applied and once dry a further two coats of heavy matt were applied. I missed the pics of the wax and gel process on these ones.

DSC_0928.JPG

DSC_0931.JPG

DSC_0934.JPG

These were de nibbed where necessary and waxed once again before being gelled and layed up, the inner bonnet only had one coat of heavy 600 gram  matting, Lee thought this was ok as once bonded to the outer skin formed a nice light but strong finished piece.

The outer bonnet and boot was layed up with two coats of the 600 matt. these pics are the inner skin.

DSC_0947.JPG

DSC_0954.JPG

DSC_0955.JPG

DSC_0956.JPG

DSC_0957.JPG

I wasn't there when Lee released the bonnet from the mould, he sent me some pics of how he used some foam in between the two skins to stop it drumming, I also had some new stainless mounts made for the hinges and bonnet catch which Lee bonded in before bonding the two skins together for me.

thumbnail_DSC_0225 (1).jpg

thumbnail_DSC_0225.jpg

thumbnail_DSC_0226.jpg

This is the bonnet fitted to the car, the inner skin is not the greatest as the buck was pretty crap to be honest so it has a few ripples in it, I am very pleased with the outer bonnet, it fits well to the car and will only need a small amount of prep before painting.

DSC_0992.JPG

DSC_0993.JPG

DSC_0994.JPG

DSC_0996.JPG

DSC_0997.JPG

On 3/24/2019 at 11:56 PM, Boy from Oz said:

Very interesting Jeff, keep the images and info coming.

I'm largely self-taught (through trial & error) about fibreglassing so I'm keen to soak up any information.

Hi Peter,

I had an idea of the basics but spending a few days with Lee has certainly helped me a lot.I feel confident enough to be able to take a mould from any car panel now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Looking forward to the photos.

I think there are a few still lurking around here (Michelle, Dick, et al) who have been through the GTO build process and would be willing to offer well-intentioned opinions. As shown in the past it might assist in preventing you reinventing the wheel.