HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

Guest 250 GTO

Anyone in the Western New York area that is looking to have custom work done please read . I took my rhino gt into a local collision shop to have the work completed. The shop is located in Batavia, New York and is located on rte 63 . Too make a long story short as any custom work that is done around here they want money up front . What I found out too late is that he takes the money your car and parts then does very little work . He then calls you stating that he needs more money for one reason or another. If you refuse to pay him he then locks your car and parts up and puts a mechanics lean on the car . Then he send you a letter stating the money he originally wanted to complete the car is due along with $30. a day storage fees that started a week ago. In New York your only chance of getting the car and parts back along with your money is to go to civil court which cost thousands and takes several months even years . I was lucky enough to get the car and parts back but got f***ed on the money due to having to sign a waiver , I didn't sign the waiver and still got screwed. I hope that in the long run this helps someone else from getting screwed . BTW I heard he was looking at moving down south and open up his shop there as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Someone may have already posted this but there's an article on Chelle's GTO in the Oct 2007 Kit Car Builder. http://www.kitcarclub.com/

Look in the upper right...

sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=6

My favorite line: "Many women would have a psychotic eposode at the very idea of bits of headlights in the oven, but these two pop them in and bake cookies at the same time."

All in all pretty cool.

Congrats Chelle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Higuys!

I've been trying to find out what month the original Alpha1 buildup was in KitCar mag, and I found out that there is a 250 replica in BullRun?? Could that be Chelle's car? I would definitely watch that Bullrun too if it was. I saw the first BullRun anyway.

BTW- what month was the original Alpha1 build article in? I think it was 1983?

thxZ

NOPERS, the Bullrun car isn't ours.. it's here:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2602375

I'll try and find the original Alpha1 magazine article.. I do have it here someplace..

Sorry I haven't posted again much lately, this is blocked at my work again and at home I just get real busy with stuff.. I'll try to post more though..

Looking in new kit car builder there's an ad for a new Z based car... not to my taste really but it kinda looks like it's got a mildly customized Vela Rossa nose.. anyone see it?

I am ready to foam the rear tub on my car for the V/R kit and would like some suggestions/experiences with the various insulating foams on the market. I'm doing an experiment by shooting foam on a piece of fiberglass and laying another piece on top of it and sandwiching the foam. I want to measure the expansion and see how well the foam adheres to the fiberglass.

The only one I've done so far was for the product "Great Stuff" which is commonly found at home improvement stores. It expanded from 1/2 inch high to about 3/4ths and did not stick to one of the pieces very well (the other was good). I didn't like the way it flowed when sprayed so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
... would like some suggestions/experiences with the various insulating foams on the market... Thanks.

Never used it myself and I have only undertaken a little research on this but it appears that the domestic stuff has a problem with moisture retention and ultimately breaking down. I think you may need to look at foam used in marine applications.

mclark999 Re: Driving lights - see post #52 on this thread.

Hi Zerrari!

I have been gone for awhile but am back and ready to get moving on my VR again. I pick it up in 2 weeks and bring it home to begin.

To answer the question about foam. Great Stuff will appear to work but my experience in the boat business is that it may not keep the moisture out long term. I would not use it.

I went with a 2 part mixed marine foam (3 or 4 lb if I remember right) similar to this stuff:

http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html

I set up various funnels at the points where I needed to pour it in and taped wax paper covered cardboard in places to stop if from flowing down onto the shop floor while it began to foam up. Mix a little at a time and play with it - it expands quickly and is a mess to work with until you get the hang of it.

My car has been sitting outside without a cover for the past 4 years so I will cut some out when I get the car down here and see what the moisture looks like.

Good luck!

Hi Zerrari!

I have been gone for awhile but am back and ready to get moving on my VR again. I pick it up in 2 weeks and bring it home to begin.

To answer the question about foam. Great Stuff will appear to work but my experience in the boat business is that it may not keep the moisture out long term. I would not use it.

I went with a 2 part mixed marine foam (3 or 4 lb if I remember right) similar to this stuff:

http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html

I set up various funnels at the points where I needed to pour it in and taped wax paper covered cardboard in places to stop if from flowing down onto the shop floor while it began to foam up. Mix a little at a time and play with it - it expands quickly and is a mess to work with until you get the hang of it.

My car has been sitting outside without a cover for the past 4 years so I will cut some out when I get the car down here and see what the moisture looks like.

Good luck!

Great information Boat Bum; that is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

As I'm getting closer to completing the VR, I'm thinking about driving characteristics. I know the Z car experiences quite a bit of front end lift at anything over about 70 mph and tends to wander on the road.

For the people that have finished a GTO conversion. Does the car still do this with the new body? I know that Ferrari had issues with this to some extent.

Have you considered any kind of front spoiler or diffuser on the front?

Have you put a pan underneath or done anything to change airflow?

For drivers that have headlight covers. Did that make a difference? John Washington no longer sells the headlight covers and I'm thinking about doing something different, but not if I need the covers to help keep the front end down.

Not mine, but thought someone here might want this - an ebay seller has a Vela Rosa nose with no reserve for 250 with headlight covers and driving lights :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170166103084

Zerrari, Kim found an online source for the 2 part foam that is a lot cheaper and stronger than anything you can get at West Marine.. I'll ask her for the URL and post it here ASAP..

Mclark, we have had ours well into triple digit speeds and I don't think the headlight covers make a difference. a belly pan under the engine and a front spoiler might reduce some lift but then the engine compartment will hold even more heat :( Dropping the nose some would help more I'd think. and perhaps something under the back like the F430 has, or this Z car..

2655395_1_full.jpg

Okay, sorry for the slow return...

turns out the place I was talking about for the foam is the same stuff just mentioned by boatbum... just a different URL..

http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

way better than "great stuff" for our purposes and great prices too.

Besides the price, the other great thing about this is you can choose the density depending on what you're trying to do. They have it in 2LB, 4LB, 8LB and 16LB densities.

They will even sell you a pair of 55 gallon drums if you want enough to say carve out an Enzo from a giant brick of foam... not that I would ever consider such a thing ;)

The medium density stuff could even be used to absorb impact in collisions

oh, and regarding mclark999's post about moving air under the car, check out the work done by Mikelly posted here:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121877

They did a lot of great work on the airflow issues, and looks like more is coming. Kinda inspiring me to rent a windtunnel to see how the GTO's compare :)

anyone know if there's a windtunnel in Chicago area?