HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

Hi, everybody. I'm following this 250 GTO thread with interest as I would very much like to build a 250 replica when funds become available. I have a few questions I hope you all can help me with that I haven't found answers to in the thread so far.

1) I have seen a few 240Z cars for sale between $4-6000. Would those cars, if free of rust and accident damage, be good starting points?

2) Will I be able to use a Chevy LS1 engine? I'm very familiar with the LS engines and would love to be able to power my replica with one.

I don't want to build anything fancy, just an everyday cruiser that looks sharp and has the performance to go with it. In fact, I would like a Z that's in super running shape as I may wait some time to update the powertrain and suspension, so paying more for a good car isn't an issue.

I know of a car in San Diego, a 1977 280Z that was stripped down for a 250 body kit, the owner then had financial problems so the project was scrapped. The 250 kit was sold and the car sits ready for a body kit to be installed. There are more kits available where the car is so no worries there. The car can be had cheap and ran and looked great when it was delivered to the shop for the conversion. I got all the stock body panels for a project I am working on so I know the quality of the car which came from Texas and I believe the previous owner paid over $4K for. PM me for more info.

I know of a car in San Diego, a 1977 280Z that was stripped down for a 250 body kit, the owner then had financial problems so the project was scrapped. The 250 kit was sold and the car sits ready for a body kit to be installed. There are more kits available where the car is so no worries there. The car can be had cheap and ran and looked great when it was delivered to the shop for the conversion. I got all the stock body panels for a project I am working on so I know the quality of the car which came from Texas and I believe the previous owner paid over $4K for. PM me for more info.

Thank you for the tip. It sounds great but I'm not in the best spot financially right now. Maybe next year. --Brian

What other 250 GTO kits are out there other than Thunder Ranch? Or is that the sole provider right now?

I discovered a company in California (not terribly far from me) that builds a 250 GTO that they call a Merlin http://www.carconceptdesigns.com/index.htm that has a different front end than the Thunder Ranch, but it looks decent enough. I wish they had more pictures. They offer turn-keys for $25k. Any comment on that?

A very interesting site and when I looked at it the name 'Merlin' rang a bell. The chap credited with creating the first 250 GTO kit - the Eagle GTO, but best known as the Alpha - was Merlin Cafono going by the name Barry Goldstein (see post #419). I see that the 'artist' responsible for the Merlin is again Merlin Cafono but this time going by the name Baryla Khodorkovsky. Quite a character I would imagine but very talanted just the same.

Also the rear closely resembles another Ferrari of the 60s-70s - a Daytona perhaps?

What other 250 GTO kits are out there other than Thunder Ranch? Or is that the sole provider right now?

I discovered a company in California (not terribly far from me) that builds a 250 GTO that they call a Merlin http://www.carconceptdesigns.com/index.htm that has a different front end than the Thunder Ranch, but it looks decent enough. I wish they had more pictures. They offer turn-keys for $25k. Any comment on that?

The Thunderranch kit is nice and can be had cheaper than the list price. I know that Tom has a few complete kits on the shelf ready to ship. He can also do turnkey kits and does take monthy payment plans while the car is being built with 50% downpayment. I believe it can be build cheaper than the Merlin and looks great.

The Thunderranch kit is nice and can be had cheaper than the list price. I know that Tom has a few complete kits on the shelf ready to ship. He can also do turnkey kits and does take monthy payment plans while the car is being built with 50% downpayment. I believe it can be build cheaper than the Merlin and looks great.

If you plan on using a Thunder Ranch body kit, you'd better plan early and order it a good 2-3 months before you actually need the body panels. He doesn't just have any complete kits sitting around on the shelf, you're going to have to wait for him to lay one up in the molds.

If you plan on using a Thunder Ranch body kit, you'd better plan early and order it a good 2-3 months before you actually need the body panels. He doesn't just have any complete kits sitting around on the shelf, you're going to have to wait for him to lay one up in the molds.

I got a project there right now.. so I go up there time to time. I am pretty sure Tom has one or two kits up in the fiberglass shop. In this economy if you got the money he will get the kit to you sooner than 2 months, he could use the business.

I think you mean a TomaHawk Z

oops..i figured it mush be spelled same as your name.. was still neat to see one

I have access to the Puckett molds and one completed body panel set btw, but no desire to go into business making bodies.. not really sure what we're going to do with them. In all likelihood they will go to Mr Washington as he already is in that line of work. Watch this space and when I decide what will happen this is where I'll post it.

best,

Chelle

I got a project there right now.. so I go up there time to time. I am pretty sure Tom has one or two kits up in the fiberglass shop. In this economy if you got the money he will get the kit to you sooner than 2 months, he could use the business.

I don't spread rumors around, he doesn't have any GTO body kits sitting around on the shelf. I've been patiently awaiting the shipment of my kit for two months now since I've paid for it in full.

I don't spread rumors around, he doesn't have any GTO body kits sitting around on the shelf. I've been patiently awaiting the shipment of my kit for two months now since I've paid for it in full.

Ohhhh...shoot... I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully your kit was the one I was told he was busy making a crate for on the 4th of July. I can tell that you are unhappy and I understand. I may have mistaken your kit as two kits, I do get confused by the items I see up there, I apologize. I bet your are ready to build and all you need is the kit.

Hi Guys.

I too have been following this thread for the last year or so. Lots of good stuff here. I see the topic of price has come up so I thought I'd throw in my two cents' for what it's worth.

Let me start by saying I'm not a car guy by trade or a Ferrari devotee by any means. I was just looking for cool project car to putter around with. I had wanted a Cobra ever since seeing the movie 'Gumball Rally' when I was 18. But the needs of my young family, and the cost of a kit thwarted me until a couple years ago.

I settled on the Velo Rossa kit from John Washington at Reaction Research because of the low initial cost. I have found John to be nothing but helpful since the day I first inquired about this project. I purchased the install manual three years ago, but didn't purchase my kit until April 2008.

I purchased a non-running 260z donor for $350, and spent a year getting it ready for the kit. I sold off all the parts I don't need. I actually made a profit of $25.

If I hadn't had to replace the rusted floorpans ($270) I would have started way ahead.

I picked up my body kit from John at the Knotts show last year. No crating cost, no delivery fee, just gas for my pickup truck, from Northern Cal and back. $4500 total.

I've spent the last year fitting panels, cutting and sanding... fixing my mistakes... and then redoing it the correct way. My plan is to do the basic bodywork myself and get the car into primer. Then install all the exterior lights. Then I'll move on to drive train (SB Chevy using JTR conversion), suspension and interior. Once it's a driver, I'll strip it down and send it out for paint.

To date I have around $5700 invested in the project. I'm estimating at least another $5000 before wheels and paint, but that will be spread out over the next couple years at my current rate, so it won't hurt too much.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Hey guys I am sad to say after years of tracking this car down and finding a way to buy it. I need to let it go. If there are any lurkers here thinking about doing a Vella Rosa kit check out the forsale section.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=1048396#post1048396

I am sorry if I have stepped on any toes with this shameless plug. But You all are my target group. And I need to get the word out about this sale. Also sad to say that the first time I post pics of it is in the forsale section.

OK, I'm going to try this again...I hope those sensitive Italians don't shut me down again. I've split it into two auctions this time so the body kit/donor car is at an even lower starting price ($2000). The suspension alone is worth about that much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280375407486&viewitem=&_trkparms=tab%3DSelling#v4-34

This auction is for the engine and transmission set-up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280376147344&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

If anybody out there is even halfway serious about a project like this, here is your chance to start with a big head start at a low entry cost.

Did you get your kit? I talked to him yesterday and he said it was shipped.