HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

Did you get your kit? I talked to him yesterday and he said it was shipped.

I received the body panels on Thursday the 23rd of July. The shipping was fast since the parts were picked up in California on Monday the 20th of July.

I'm still waiting for the miscellaneous lights and turn signals, door buttons, grille trim ring, headlight lenses, and headlight trim rings.

I received the body panels on Thursday the 23rd of July. The shipping was fast since the parts were picked up in California on Monday the 20th of July.

I'm still waiting for the miscellaneous lights and turn signals, door buttons, grille trim ring, headlight lenses, and headlight trim rings.

I am going by the shop today....I will prod him about that stuff. Tom is really a good guy, this economy has really hit him hard, I don't know how he does it.

If you rebody a Datsun Z into a 250 GTO, even if you also change the running gear, do you still register and insure the car as a Datsun? I would figure you do since you still have the original frame and the VIN on the frame, but I thought I would check with the experts here and make sure. Thanks! --Brian

hey guys,

Ferris house stuff just keeps coming up.

Video was on NBC yesterday

like a minute in I'm driving the car into the garage

http://lxtv.com/openhousechicago/video/10064

Treadstone, it depends on local laws. The VIN is attached to the dash and if you replace it with a GTO style one you're going to have to remove the VIN tag, in most places it's "illegal" to reattach it.

Hey, Treadstone. Mine is still registered as a Datsun, never had any problems with it. I've heard of some actually getting Ferrari on the title somehow but I don't see the point. Just makes your insurance rates skyrocket and isn't going to fool anyone. My Tags are only .62 cents a year, insurance cheaper than my motorcycle. After the initial inspection, which went really easy, I've never been hassled.

If you rebody a Datsun Z into a 250 GTO, even if you also change the running gear, do you still register and insure the car as a Datsun? I would figure you do since you still have the original frame and the VIN on the frame, but I thought I would check with the experts here and make sure. Thanks! --Brian

Your choice. If your car is a '75 or older I would register it as a Datsun but insure it as a GTO replica. If it is later than a '75 get a specialty construction registration as a '62 GTO replica and you can avoid the bi-annual smog inspections.

Hey, Treadstone. Mine is still registered as a Datsun, never had any problems with it. I've heard of some actually getting Ferrari on the title somehow but I don't see the point. Just makes your insurance rates skyrocket and isn't going to fool anyone. My Tags are only .62 cents a year, insurance cheaper than my motorcycle. After the initial inspection, which went really easy, I've never been hassled.

Having Ferrari (or special construction) on the title/registration is very useful in one important regard. When you get pulled over because the officer who has followed you long enough to run your tag gets concerned it might be a stolen car when the tag comes back listing it as a Datsun. Then when you have to dig around showing him VIN tags and trying to convince him it really started life as a Datsun and life can get difficult. If you made a custom dash and didn't put the VIN in the original location technically it is a vehicle with tampered VIN tags, and they can impound it. At that point it's really totally up to the officer's discretion. At least if you have the stock dash or an alpha dash you can leave the stock tag in the stock position.

Anyway.. it's something to consider and can reduce problems down the road

Chelle

• 2 weeks later...
All these poor Velo Rossas getting sold. :( So sad.

Too bad they're not hard tops, I'd have done my best to make it happen.

btw...I can't seem to find the correct info...what's the correct diameter Nardi wheel for the original GTO?

Thanks.

If you are referring to post #690, that is a hard top (berlinetta/coupe) kit.

Re: Steering wheel - "Steering was by an elegant Nardi wood rim wheel of 400mm diameter. The three engraved aluminium spokes were gently dished and the central horn push carried the traditional Cavallino Rampante motif on a yellow background". Bluemel. K, Pourret. J, Ferrari 250 GTO, Bay View Books, Devon, UK, 1998, p.34.

Probably the best you can do now is the Nardi Anni 60 which has a 363mm rim at around $600US. I think mine came off an Alfa or Lancia and I picked it up off the Italian eBay for $250US with the Nardi horn button. I then obtained a Ferrari horn button for about $35US.

Measuring the wheel is from centre of the wood rim to the centre of the wood rim and not the outer edge. Many will advertise a 380mm dia when in fact it is a 360mm (or 363mm according to my Nardi packaging box). Apart from the original being a larger overall diameter the horn surround is also a larger diameter. You can possibly track down an original but even the replicas start at around $1600US! Here are photos of the real thing and mine.

Real GTO dash_thumb.jpg

Nardi Anni 60_thumb.jpg

Nah, I was referring to Zerrari's VR...it's not the first unfinished VR I've seen available lately. I'm still looking for either an unfinished project, or that certain 280Z to base the project on. But I've had to put those dreams on hold b/c of worsening medical issues.

And 400mm...thank you. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I'm considering going with a more modern look and putting on a cap like the ones pictured. I've also thought about just taking the easy way out and using the fiberglass door that John Washington includes with the Velo Rossa. It would be great if everyone would post a close up picture of their gas cap along with a 3/4 rear view of the car with the gas cap for comparison.

Ciao for now,

Michael

SRT Gas cap_thumb.jpg

dodge_viper_srt10_coupe_gas-cap_06_thumb.jpg

Guest cxdmedia

I just found the forum and wanted to drop in and say Hi. I've read a few posts going back this year where various members were listing their 250 GTO's for sale on ebay. The ads are all expired. I was wondering if anyone has a completed 250 GTO for sale at the moment?

Thanks!

-Chris