HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

Just got back into all the forums and Z based discussions. Love This Stuff!

My GTO has sat for the last few years, always Registered, rarely driven.

It is: 1973 Datsun 240Z with ArizonaZ GTO Kit (Large Hood type Kit).

I bought the Z donor car already converted to V8, Complete with 1962 SBC, 283ci, Automatic Trans, Air Conditioning. Mallory Ingnition.

Electric Fan. Oil Cooler. Great running order.

About $12,000 invested.

Valued at $15,000 to $18,000.00

Runs with 289 Cobras!:burnout:

Needs re-paint after minor repairs.

Bonding of rear clip above Hatch needs attention. Feather the Bonding

But NO door delamination (a common problem with poor installations).

Gas Filler moved inside, needs re mounting. or mount outside

Needed New Key and switch, just bought one off ebay.

I'm getting a new battery and sorting out the running.

Custom Dash

'62 Corvette Outside Mirrors

Wire Wheels

New Windshield.

Electric Doors, Alarm.

EXTRA rear hatch, Pantera Style !! Mounted, not painted.

Newer Black/Silver Interior, carpeting, panels.

Reupholstered Stock Seats - Black with Red piping!

Extra set: Low-Back Seats from an AlhaRomeo, Reupholstered

- Black with Red piping, never used, I am 6' and they didn't work, good for a 5'9" or smaller driver....Bolt right in tho'.

Austin Healey Running Lights.

Italian Guages

One-Off dash Cover

Head Light Covers, never installed

Alloy For Light Rings

Stereo and Electric antennae

Spare 283 heads, Hardened Valve seats

Many Farrari touchs

Many Z Parts

Still have all Datsun Z parts that came off.

L & R Fenders

F & R Bumpers

LOUVERED Hood !!! 2 rows

Tail lights etc.

NOT quite turn-key, due to sitting.

All repairs ARE cosmetic.

Would entertain Porsche Kit Trade, 356 or 550, any condition.

$8,000 or best offer. Even with a custom paint job and repairs

you could NOT build this for under $10,000

$8k

Thanks, Patrick

Orange County, CA

Edited by phdr
Supposed to include Locale

OH. SMOG.

I believe by age a 1973 is Calif Smog Exempt.

I have been thru many changes in Cali Smog laws.

My 250GTO, v8 was converted by previous owner

and I now have it titled and smogged as a 1962 passenger car !!!!!!!!!!!

huh?

Yep and WOW....weird

• 3 weeks later...

just in case anyone is interested i am posting a pic of my 74Z it has the rear GTO section. although we did fill in the ducts behind the rear wheels, lower the kits mounting points so it sets lower to the rear tires, shorten the rear body panel about 6 inches so it is flush against the stock rear body panel....

Z Cars 013_thumb.jpg

Z Cars 014_thumb.jpg

Z Cars 015_thumb.jpg

i would be glad to explain the process as best as i am capable.

i started off with a complete GTO rear tub. (great cars)

but, as i wanted this to be more in line with what i had in mind, i opted to close up the rear body gap between the rear quarter and the top of the tire.

my brother (hes the body man ) was kind enough to endulge me.

we cut the rear tub into sections , seperating the sides and the rear panel apart. my brother decided that it would be easiest to order the tires and wheels i wanted to run on the car and then mount the quarters to match the shape and size required.i installed american racing wheels 11 x17 with 315/35/17 tires.then with the tires on we set the quarters in place and refiberglassed and bonded it to the vehicle. at that time we also shaved and shorted the quarters so the rear panel could be mounted flush the to original rear z panel. i have a 1000 pics of the entire process beginning to end.its late here now, but i will snap a few shots and post them right now. if anyone is interested further i can take better pics later and post.

i might add that we did install coil overs and completely replace all the stock suspension so we could fine tune it when we finished. i wanted 1/2 inch gap between tires and quarters when finished as well as have the inner fender wells fiberglassed in and finished so we could paint and clear the entire underside of the car. it turned out better than i had hoped for and i have been thrilled to drive and show this car .we showed it at Motorsports west coast nationals a week after we finished it and won first place in modified class...

If you've built a Velo Rossa, please post some pics and explanation of how you did the trunk latch, especially the striker plate. The manual says there is a backing plate built in, but mine has nothing.

I'm using the locking VW Beetle engine compartment latch.

Thank you,

Michael

just in case anyone is interested i am posting a pic of my 74Z it has the rear GTO section. although we did fill in the ducts behind the rear wheels, lower the kits mounting points so it sets lower to the rear tires, shorten the rear body panel about 6 inches so it is flush against the stock rear body panel....

I wonder how many ways people Bond their GTO body to the Roof. Mine has delaminated right where they meet, as it is a Flex point of the body (hence the lead filler from the factory).

I used the Marine Bonding glue I think was suggested by Thunder Ranch, 17 years ago. My Door Skins Remain Perfect, a common delamination point.

I want to Re-do mine. It was suggested to grind back to Metal on the roof and Fibeglass the Clip to the Roof. Feathering it farther forward onto the roof.

What are peiple doing these days?

GTO Left Hand Drive_thumb.jpg

MClark...

Even though you already received the info I sent you directly, someone else suggested I post it for the benefit of others who may have the same issue. The photo/caption in the installation manual does not make it clear that this is a part the builders can fabricate themselves, then it is screwed to the inside of the old tail light panel. There are many ways to do it, but this is just one simple way.

Phdr,

On your delamination issue, I think you are on the right track. There's no easy way to fix it. Grind down to metal, and grind the fiberglass back a bit, too. Then do a wet layup over the area, 2-3 inches out onto the metal and 2-3 inches onto the fiberglass.

You could do this with a panel patch kit from NAPA, etc. The resin in those kits is standard polyester resin. For a more robust repair you might consider talking to a composite shop about buying a small quantity of vinyl ester resin...or you could ask them to do the layup for you after you do the prep.

The marine bonding glue (typically "Marine-Tex" etc) is really good stuff, but can be a bear to sand and finish. It's like it never really gets hard, which makes for a good bond, but...when you try to sand it and feather it is like trying to sand snot or soft plastic.

There are a lot of composites guys around Orange Co. If you can't find someone let me know and I'll look through my archives.

Has anyone had a custom car cover made for their Velo Rossa or GTO coupe? I'll be moving my car outside and want to protect it from rain, etc.

Any ideas on how I go about getting a custom car cover that fits well and looks good. I don't want it to look like a tent or a tarp.

Thanks,

Michael

Has anyone had a custom car cover made for their Velo Rossa or GTO coupe? I'll be moving my car outside and want to protect it from rain, etc.

Any ideas on how I go about getting a custom car cover that fits well and looks good. I don't want it to look like a tent or a tarp.

Thanks,

Michael

Check out California Car Cover in Chatswoth, Ca. They make custom covers.

I am very glad I came across this website! HybridZ is one of the best enthusiast sites I have seen. Great information, factual, useful and no BS or flaming arguments. Very well run, my complements to all involved

I have read the rules and have followed the string for 36 + pages and have not found the answer to my issue. So I have decided to post.

First a short explanation, I inherited a 260Z that was in the process of being converted into a McBurnie 250GTO. I am inventorying everything in the barn. I have found some parts missing (260Z headlight bucket) and other sundry other items (left side exhaust Header). Its still early in the inventory process though. I did find some great stuff including an LT1 engine in the crate that fits the orphan right side exhaust header and 6 speed Tranny .

The kit seems complete and in good shape for having been sitting for 8-10 years. The biggest stumbling block is the assembly manual. It looks to be the original but the photos detailing the assembly are very very poor. Even before the paper turned yellow, it appears that it was a copy of a copy of a copy. The photos are pretty much useless. The manual has 59 pgs. I do not know if it is complete. Anybody know how many pages in the assembly manual?

My first question/posting is does anyone out there have a legible or (be still my heart) an electronic copy? Has anyone documented the build process? I did read something in the early 250 GTO string postings. Boy from Oz mentioned something on Nov. 15 ’06 of a manual but I have not seen anything about manuals since.

Can anyone help me out with assembly documentation?

I am very glad I came across this website! HybridZ is one of the best enthusiast sites I have seen. Great information, factual, useful and no BS or flaming arguments. Very well run, my complements to all involved

I have read the rules and have followed the string for 36 + pages and have not found the answer to my issue. So I have decided to post.

First a short explanation, I inherited a 260Z that was in the process of being converted into a McBurnie 250GTO. I am inventorying everything in the barn. I have found some parts missing (260Z headlight bucket) and other sundry other items (left side exhaust Header). Its still early in the inventory process though. I did find some great stuff including an LT1 engine in the crate that fits the orphan right side exhaust header and 6 speed Tranny .

The kit seems complete and in good shape for having been sitting for 8-10 years. The biggest stumbling block is the assembly manual. It looks to be the original but the photos detailing the assembly are very very poor. Even before the paper turned yellow, it appears that it was a copy of a copy of a copy. The photos are pretty much useless. The manual has 59 pgs. I do not know if it is complete. Anybody know how many pages in the assembly manual?

My first question/posting is does anyone out there have a legible or (be still my heart) an electronic copy? Has anyone documented the build process? I did read something in the early 250 GTO string postings. Boy from Oz mentioned something on Nov. 15 ’06 of a manual but I have not seen anything about manuals since.

Can anyone help me out with assembly documentation?

I am not positive about this, but I am pretty sure you could still get an instruction manual from Tom Mcburnie. Website: http://www.thunderranch.com. Phone: (619) 444-1006 It never hurts to ask.