HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

I would like to look over an origininal copy of the McBurnie documentation myself.

thxZ

ME TOO !!!!!!!!

Although an origianl manual of the one I used really

would not have been much more useful.

17 years ago when I built my "Arizona Z" my manual was a copy of a copy of a copy etc. etc.

Brings back memories.

It was tough.....trial and error:roll:

I am very glad I came across this website! HybridZ is one of the best enthusiast sites I have seen. Great information, factual, useful and no BS or flaming arguments. Very well run, my complements to all involved

I have read the rules and have followed the string for 36 + pages and have not found the answer to my issue. So I have decided to post.

First a short explanation, I inherited a 260Z that was in the process of being converted into a McBurnie 250GTO. I am inventorying everything in the barn. I have found some parts missing (260Z headlight bucket) and other sundry other items (left side exhaust Header). Its still early in the inventory process though. I did find some great stuff including an LT1 engine in the crate that fits the orphan right side exhaust header and 6 speed Tranny .

The kit seems complete and in good shape for having been sitting for 8-10 years. The biggest stumbling block is the assembly manual. It looks to be the original but the photos detailing the assembly are very very poor. Even before the paper turned yellow, it appears that it was a copy of a copy of a copy. The photos are pretty much useless. The manual has 59 pgs. I do not know if it is complete. Anybody know how many pages in the assembly manual?

My first question/posting is does anyone out there have a legible or (be still my heart) an electronic copy? Has anyone documented the build process? I did read something in the early 250 GTO string postings. Boy from Oz mentioned something on Nov. 15 ’06 of a manual but I have not seen anything about manuals since.

Can anyone help me out with assembly documentation?

JTR's V-8 Conversion Manual should help with the LT1 crate engine install.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Chevrolet_TPI_TBI_V-8.html

Hi everyone,

Steadily making progress on the VR. When I put the trunk lid on, I can see that its quite humped in the middle on the right and left sides. It's not that I don't have the lid supported properly. If I make the front and rear even with the tub, the middle is buldged. See the pics. I'll either have to grind it down even with the rear tub or fill in the rear tub to match.

I think I'm going to grind it down to the tub unless anyone warns me away from this.

I did use the Finish Line trunk hinges instead of the RX7 hinges that a lot of guys use. I like the look and chrome finish.

Trunk lid 001_thumb.jpg

Trunk lid 002_thumb.jpg

Trunk lid 003_thumb.jpg

I would be cautious of making the edge of the trunk lid too thin. You might think about doing both, a little filler on the fender tops and a little sanding on the trunk lid.

On the other hand, if it's just the ends of the trunk lid that have warped upwards then I would add material to the bottom of the edges first and then grind off the top. The thinner the fiberglass gets the harder it is to work with. Measure it first. If you plan to grind away 1/8" on top then get out your mat and add an 1/8" to the underside first.

I have no experience with the VR trunk Lid, but.....

With the 1st generation GTO nose, "long hood" there is only 1 1/2 inches between the Sugar Scoops and the leading edge of the hood.

I had always noticed how wavy other cars were right there.

Someone must have suggested, can't remember, but I

bonded a long strip of 1/8th inch steal under that thin strip of body.

I had drilled and pre-tapped 4 holes spaced from the ends and between the scoops.

With another tapped strip bonded to the inside bottom of the nose, I installed 4 turn-buckles. My hood to nose

alignment is always perfect !! Adjustable

I don't know if you have room to bond a "stiffener" to your Trunk Lid.

Just a thought

I have no experience with the VR trunk Lid, but.....

With the 1st generation GTO nose, "long hood" there is only 1 1/2 inches between the Sugar Scoops and the leading edge of the hood.

I had always noticed how wavy other cars were right there.

Someone must have suggested, can't remember, but I

bonded a long strip of 1/8th inch steal under that thin strip of body.

I had drilled and pre-tapped 4 holes spaced from the ends and between the scoops.

With another tapped strip bonded to the inside bottom of the nose, I installed 4 turn-buckles. My hood to nose

alignment is always perfect !! Adjustable

I don't know if you have room to bond a "stiffener" to your Trunk Lid.

Just a thought

The trunk lid is really stout/stiff, but I might be able to put a stiffener in the tub and use that to hump it a little. I think I'll try that and then do a little grinding and filling as needed.

Thanks,

Michael

Sidwell that looks great, it has to turn heads when you drive down the street. Can I ask what size tires you are running? Don't know when I'll ever get to mine. Have a 57 chevy to do for a guy. He wants it completely stripped down and everything removed, repainted, and rechromed. I've got all the parts to do mine, just not the time.

I'd be proud of that car, good job.

Staledale

There are no leak issues. I built up about 1/4" lip at the bottom of the vent to make sure water did not pool there. The felt around the vent makes for a very nice seal as well.

BTW: I just updated my build site with larger pictures, more of them and organized them better. Enjoy.

BTW #2: I will be moving to Central Washington state soon. Are there any GTO people in that area?

I wonder how many ways people Bond their GTO body to the Roof. Mine has delaminated right where they meet, as it is a Flex point of the body (hence the lead filler from the factory).

I used the Marine Bonding glue I think was suggested by Thunder Ranch, 17 years ago. My Door Skins Remain Perfect, a common delamination point.

I want to Re-do mine. It was suggested to grind back to Metal on the roof and Fibeglass the Clip to the Roof. Feathering it farther forward onto the roof.

What are peiple doing these days?

I used West Systems epoxy resin... just noticed your pic here though is a photoshop modification of one of our cars. That pic was taken in the driveway of the Ferris Bueller house, by me.. original is here:

http://members.core.com/~michelle.lonnecker/Ferris/GTO-NBC4.jpg

just kinda surprised me to see it posted like that without something noting it's a modified pic .

Can we see some pics of your car Phdr?

I don't come on much anymore as I am working too many hours, when not working i'm working on a couple cars.. sorry, is nice to see the thread is staying active. Welcome new members, looks great Sidwell :)

Chelle

Hey SidWell,

The new site looks great.

Would like to get a look at the inside of the finshed side vent/window, I couldn't find one on the site (did I miss it??). Curious to see how you finished it off.

Now that mines finished I can't stop thinking about taking it apart and changing/redoing a few things. The blocked off side window has always bothered me. Due to an out of control budget and a behind build schedule I opted for the easy way out. Did you consider the smaller trunk conversion?

Regards