HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

Zerrari GTO - The Simpson (Blue Ray) rocker panels do not look like the ones posted by the Boy for OZ as they are very angular. They do tie into the rear quarter panels but not the front fenders so you can still unbolt the front fenders if needed. And yes, if I had a buck for everyone that's asked about those rocker covers I'd could have built another car!

Darth V8r - The rocker cover haven't been produced in years and the guy that made them is out of business.

Sal Versaggi - Eagle Engineering designed and made the molds for Joe Alphabet (Alpha 1 GTO) who, I think, started selling the kit in 1984 or at least that's when the ads in kit car started. I bought mine kit from Joe in 1986 so, I might be wrong, but I don't think your kit was the source for the Alpha. Joe Alphabet ran a Ferrari restoration business so when the Ferrari lawyers showed up and asked him to stop selling the kit he sold the molds to McBurnie. How about posting a picture or two of your car?

Speed

Guest Darth V8r
The rocker cover haven't been produced in years and the guy that made them is out of business.

Cool thanks. They are somewhat similar looking to a valve cover that B&M make (or used to make?) in that the flange around the bottom of the cover is not shown. In the case of the B&M cover it is a polished unit and not nearly as reminiscent of "period" the way your covers look. The B&M is meant for easy access to the valve train and the eight (ten?) bolts around the perimeter keep a cap on the cover only.

I haven't seen the B&M covers in years. An ex-GM guy had mine made for a kit he used to sell called a VIP. It was a replica of the original Ferrari Testarossa. They are very wide cast aluminum and four of those Allen screws go all the way through the inside to the standard holes in the head to fasten them on.

Mickey over at Ingeles has some that look like DOHC covers but they are a bit on the expensive side. http://www.inglese.com/inglese_products.htm Machine off the "Inglese" and replace it with the Ferrari emblem and they would look pretty good.

Quote from Boy from Oz

"Change of topic, but very relevant to 250 GTO with twin REAR exhaust. Zerrari - I noticed elsewhere that you have, or intend to make, a front diff mount for twin exhaust. I am about to do the same. I have noticed this done elsewhere on HybridZ but it worried me that the two mounts had (apparently) been cut in a straight cross section in the middle and then welded. I think it might be a bit more structurally sound to stagger the section, the way A-pillars are cut and joined in a 'cut & shut". Any thoughts."

Boy from Oz,

To make the front diff mount fit you really need to cut a section out of one of them and then splice in the rounded part from another. This keeps one of the mounts pretty much intact. You could do this with one mount and cut out a section of steel pipe for the other rounded exhaust section.

Once you have two mounts side by side you realize the way the mount fits is not symetrical so you can't simply cut them down the center and weld them together.

My home computer crashed so my pics are not currently available but you can see a completed one on Pete's site: http://alteredz.com/exhaust.htm

Hey Duke...Not bad. It would really depend on the size of rim and tire combo. If you don't fill up the larger opening of the GTO it will look off. The rear tire/wheel on mine are larger than the front. So 4 equal sized tires might not work so well. A great wheel is made by a company in Australia (Oz you might be able to get more info if ya read this). Called Simmons Wheels (I think). They're 3 piece rims that are custom made to your size requirements. And they have more of a wire/mesh look to them.

A guy haad em for sale on the internet but didn't have any contact info - tried posting to the web admin but haven't been abl;e to reach him. He musty have sold em - too bad. They were 25.7 inches tall so they should filled the well nicely 8 up front 10 in back...

oh well.

They may be Italian made O.Z wheels seen here on a Classic Revival 250 GTO.

http://www.classicrevival.com.au/250gto.htm

http://www.ozracing.com/2006/pages/index.php?lang=en

You probably know my puritan views on these issues but take another look at the Daytons in Speed's photos and then decide for yourself which you prefer.

While on the subject of replicas (facsimiles actually) I read where the windscreen on the 250 GTO was intended to have more of an incline, similar to the Zed, but the Italian registration of the time required it to be more vertical. So the Zed is closer to the original Ferrari design than the actual 250 GTO!

Anyone know if these offsets wopuld work for a GTO wheel well...?

Fronts: 18x9 +8mm offtset 5X114.3 and 4X114.3

Tires: Fuzion 245/40/18

Rears: 18X10 +5mm offset 5x114.3 and 4X114.3

Tires: Pirelli P-Zero Rosso 255/40/18

Thanks

Duke - My rear tires are 27.1" tall so a 25.7" tire is good sized but its not going to quite fill up the huge rear wheel wells on the GTO. However, that's not the biggest problem - the offset is. The rear wheels on the real and replica GTO's have a very large offset. I do not know exactly what size mine are without taking the wheels off the car but the rear rim is 10" wide. The best I can tell while measuring them on the car is that approximately 7" of that is on the outside and 3" on the inside of the wheel. A 7" dish is very deep and unusual on today’s cars.

To each his own but I have to say that modern 18" wheels look out of place on an old GTO.

Speed

I tend to agree with you about the wire look. The Borranis and Daytons look best on the car style. This was just a pretty good deal and if the fitment was right... pretty tempting as a track set or for those weekends when you might want to mix it up.

Speed

I tend to agree with you about the wire look. The Borranis and Daytons look best on the car style. This was just a pretty good deal and if the fitment was right... pretty tempting as a track set or for those weekends when you might want to mix it up.

Switching from knock-offs to bolt ons for special occasions will be a real pain in the butt.

Zerrari GTO - The Simpson (Blue Ray) rocker panels do not look like the ones posted by the Boy for OZ as they are very angular. They do tie into the rear quarter panels but not the front fenders so you can still unbolt the front fenders if needed. Speed

Speed,

The only kit car website I could find for Simpson was for these Miata based kits: http://www.simpsondesign.net. Is it Stable Auto Works? Are those rocker panel covers you mention still avialable?

Thanks.

Zerrari – Sorry, I guess I should have provided some additional info. Yes, that's the same Jim Simpson who owned Blue Ray Engineering and used to sell the GTO kit which he called it a "Rhino." I even have a picture Jim sent me of a Blue Ray Engineering Rhino GTO in front of a Rhino the animal.

Anyway, Jim sold his molds to Tom Edwards over at Scorpion Z car http://www.scorpionzcars.com/ Tom has since sold the molds to OMS Sports Cars in England but the have the rockers as seen here http://www.omsportscars.com/Gallery/gtz_basic_kit-800x600.jpg I would check with Tom and see if he will sell just the rocker panels at a reasonable price.

Anyway, Jim sold his molds to Tom Edwards over at Scorpion Z car http://www.scorpionzcars.com/ Tom has since sold the molds to OMS Sports Cars in England but the have the rockers as seen here http://www.omsportscars.com/Gallery/gtz_basic_kit-800x600.jpg I would check with Tom and see if he will sell just the rocker panels at a reasonable price.

Are you saying Tom still has an inventory of Scorpion parts? How do I contact Tom?

• 2 weeks later...

Stable Autoworks still exists, sorta. I can go down there and push the owner around a bit and see if he'll make/sell some more parts. My 240 was actually supposed to be a kit car for the owner of Stable, he never got around to building it so I now own the car and am building an autocross car out of it.

My GTO Rhino Blue Ray GT was bought from Rod Simpson. My cross wire 15 X8 Daytons were special ordered by Simpson from Dayton with the proper off sets front and rear for the GTO and cost $400.00 a piece way back then. You may be able to contact Simpson or Dayton about the wire wheels. IF you cannot find anything out , I will measure mine.....PM me for this.... I cold photograph the wheels and rocker panel cover. I also have the rocker panel pieces which would be easy to splash. My Tomahawk kit could use the rocker panel covers and I intended to make a mold this summer among a dozen other things. I will only work with fiberglass outdoors. I have the push button door latch mechanisims (3 sets) made but no chance yet to fit them.

My GTO Rhino Blue Ray GT was bought from Rod Simpson. My cross wire 15 X8 Daytons were special ordered by Simpson from Dayton with the proper off sets front and rear for the GTO and cost $400.00 a piece way back then. You may be able to contact Simpson or Dayton about the wire wheels. IF you cannot find anything out , I will measure mine.....PM me for this.... I cold photograph the wheels and rocker panel cover. I also have the rocker panel pieces which would be easy to splash. My Tomahawk kit could use the rocker panel covers and I intended to make a mold this summer among a dozen other things. I will only work with fiberglass outdoors. I have the push button door latch mechanisims (3 sets) made but no chance yet to fit them.

Hi Larry,

Where did you get all your latch mechanisms? Let me know if you want to part with any.

I contacted Oliver Meulbrouck at Scorpion Z Cars in the UK. He said he was handling everything now and made it sound as if Tom was no longer involved. He is supposed to be getting me prices on the rocker panels but haven't gotten anything back from him yet. Keep me posted if you decide to splash your rocker panel covers.

Thanks,

J.P.