HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

Zerrari - picked this up from priceofhistoys.com posted by Tom himself (bit of debate about the Vanilla Sky car) but sounds like he's out of the loop:

"sorry to inform all of you out there but the blue gto replica used in vanilla sky was infact not a car from scorpionzcars, i would know this fact because i was the owner and founder of scorpionzcars ( tom ) now oliver ownes scorpionzcars

found at OMsportscars.com . sorry i do not know any further info about that car except it was not used enough in the film" Tom

And just for Duke, that UK GTO

gto1.jpg

gto2.jpg

gto3.jpg

Here is a little exercise that I found worthwhile. The three-quarter rear image above reminded me of the similar position photo of Speedracer's fantastic replica on car domain. I decided to open a second explorer and from his site overlay that image on the one above. In particular I was interested in the rear wheel comparison. The real car sits much lower than Speed's because, as I understand it, the standard 240Z fuel tank, combined with the exhaust, limit the amount you can lower the car and still drive it around the streets. I have also wanted to keep the original rear rim width of 6 1/2" or 7 1/2" but that seems to look inadequate on the replica.

What this is leading to is this. Both Zerrari and I are using tanks that allow full-length duel exhaust pipes to be tucked up beside the fuel tank. That should enable us to have a much lower riding car and narrow rim wheels that tuck under the rear arches and therefore better replicate the original GTOs in ride height. Any thoughts.

Erm, don't know how to break it to you Boy from Oz, but the car above is not real, it's a Z based replica . . . with real Boranis . . . and reprofiled roof line . . . and locking nose vent cover plates . . .etc!

He's a member of the Italian replica Club in the UK

Smash those photos are Killerz...

I am looking into the same drop for the same reasons...the exhaust issue is workable as you say. I am concenred with the rear camber when it's dropped that far. I would look killer though. But stiffen up those springs.

Smash those photos are Killerz...

OzBoy - I am looking into the same drop for the same reasons...the exhaust issue is workable as you say. I am concerned with the rear camber when it's dropped that far. It's the killer look, but stiffen up those springs, yes?

BTW, my doors are done, ready to go, except for locating those damn honda parts.

Just finished 6 long days (10-12 hrs ea.) working on the car. I'm physically and mentally beat. Progress, although slow, is being made. The wiring harness is finished, the rear end is installed (can't wait to see how the Quaife performs), serpentine system is done (looks amazing !!) and the interior is almost there. Just working on the speaker/sub brackets then I'll snap in the plastic panels. Got the front fenders finished and mounted. I'm really happy with the latch mechanism. After hours of sanding/buffing the aluminum has a mirror finish. Found a guy who is going to try and make me a set of trim rings for the headlights. I'll find out in a couple of weeks how they turned out and how much they cost me.

Hey Mike, haven't forgotten about the valve covers. If you're still interested send me an e-mail.

Just finished 6 long days (10-12 hrs ea.) working on the car. I'm physically and mentally beat. Progress, although slow, is being made. The wiring harness is finished, the rear end is installed (can't wait to see how the Quaife performs), serpentine system is done (looks amazing !!) and the interior is almost there. Just working on the speaker/sub brackets then I'll snap in the plastic panels. Got the front fenders finished and mounted. I'm really happy with the latch mechanism. After hours of sanding/buffing the aluminum has a mirror finish. Found a guy how is going to try and make me a set of trim rings for the headlights. I'll find out in a couple of weeks how they turned out and how much they cost me.

Hey Mike, haven't forgotten about the valve covers. If you're still interested send me an e-mail.

When you get your strength back...Post Some Pictures!

Can't wait to see it!

Before you guys spend a lot of time and money turning your GTO's into low riders take a look at the real GTO. Hard to go see a real one in person but check out pictures of them sitting still. Note that the exhaust ran down the outside of car just inside of the rocker panels - so.... a stock GTO could not and did not sit very low.

Speed, the real gto is very narrow top to bottom...so the top of the hood line is closer to the ground that the ZGoat... hence the reason people drop the car - not to lower the bottom line but to lower the top line.

For example the 28-9 inch rear tires come almost as high as the sideglass. Note pic...

1962_ferrari_250_gto_small_thumb.jpg

Here is a side by side comparison. The rectangles are each appx. 15" tall based on the wheel diameter. You can also see the proportion difference including length.

This is why Chelle stretched her chassis, ...well that and the V12.

GTO Compare_thumb.jpg

Nice pic - very useful comparison tool.

Very interesting to note that it's not the really the wheelbase that makes the difference but the length of the nose after the front wheels - severely lacking on the Zgoat - is really what makes it look so much stubbier. It's missing the 'duck bill'.

It's a similar tale at the back - the rear overhang on the real GTO is more than the Zgoat.

I think correction of those two points would go a long way to improving the resemblence. Also agree that lowering helps disguise the 'thickness' of the zgoat.

That and the windscreen rake which is more upright on real gto giving the bonnet more length.

(I'd still have speeds car at the drop of a hat though!!!)

*EDIT*

Just been looking at the GTZ shown below (on the omsportscars site) - unfortunately there's no side on view but even from this angle it's clear they've extended the front and rear overhangs and amended the vent placement. It's quite a bit more acurate than the one above and the impression of additional length is very apparent.

Red_GTZ_Rondail_side_800_600.jpg

I still can't believe that there is not a full tube frame kit for the GTO like the Factory Five Racing Cobra kits, Daytona kits, etc. Is it because the kit car companies are afraid of legal action by Ferrari?

On another note; 16 days and two emails to Oliver at the "new" Scorpion Z and I still haven't gotten an answer about the fiberglass rocker covers. I've gotten the proverbial "I'll get back to you" twice so far but that's it.

Another 6 days (12-14 hrs ea.) has been spent and this time I feel like there has hardly been any progress. When I have to install and then re-install (up to 3 times) it gets very discouraging. And all of the little things like battery cables, clutch linkages, skid plates (one bolt always breaks) and speedo connections just take time. Want to thank all of those who have done such an amazing job of postings here on HybridZ. After a couple of years you forget how it all goes back togehter. But a quick visit and a short search later has always cleared up the confusion. Kind regards.

Stagger_Lee - See post #32 on this thread for possible suppliers.

For $2000 I think a Scorpion rear is well worth it - it will be worth $4000 of satisfaction when it is all finished.

Complaining about the cost of imported items will bring a wry smile to the faces of all us outside America!

After all the research (thanks Hybrid Z contributers) I'm now starting to walk the walk. Note;that's not rust on the inner guard, just the red dirt we have down here.

Rotisserie Day 1c2_thumb.jpg

Rotisserie Day 1b2_thumb.jpg

Hey, Oz. Thanks but I've all those links bookmarked.... I'm not complaining about the cost of importing it, I grumble about the $2,000 dollar cost PLUS import postage. The Vela Rossa has a trunk kit that is only $218 and a block off kit for $80. I can't imagine what makes a piece of fiberglass and a bit of steel bonded into it worth $2000. Just venting, cause I was hoping to save myself a whole bunch of time by just buying one off the shelf instead of fabricating everything. Chelle had a good post on how hers went on, should be able to duplicate everything in the garage. Sigh.:icon50: