HybridZ

Straight 8

Guest HBZ81

So anyone know if anyone has stuck a straight 8 in a 280zx yet? I know where I can get one (the straight 8 engine) for $150 in running condition. And also a sweet centrifugal super charger for a good price.

And of course I am expecting to have to move forward, and bang out the firewall, to HOPEFULLY have enough room IF I was to do this

a straight 8 out of what? 1940s olds?

Something around that era, I'm going to find out the info on Monday. I already asked about it, but I had forgotten

Puts the weight too far forward, IMO. Neat idea though.

That was a worry of mine, but at least the weight will be centered left/right!

"...at least the weight will be centered left/right".

So is a V6 or V8 and the weight is much farther back and lower down, which makes nearly perfect 50/50 F/R weight distribution and lower center of gravity.

It's a neat idea and worth doing if your goal is to be different. Just don't expect it to be an easy swap nor for the car to handle well

Well, FYI, me and some friend found an 1949 buick roadmaster in nearby field, it was parked there, with permission, 10 years ago by some guy who refused an 5000$ offer 8 years ago but, never came back, we got the car off the farmer's hands thru a law we have here in Canada that states that if something has been on your land for more than 90 days, it's rightfully your's.

To make this long storry shorter, here is MY tought about this.

-The engine is verry long and it might be a tight fit for the rad.

-The engine is has cast iron black & head, it's VERRY heavy

-The long crank might have problems to manage heavy boosted horses.

-What tranny will you use, my guess is, an addaptor of some kind will be needed to addapt something to it.

-I know nothing about how mutch they balanced engins in this era.

-I don't think it'd be able to rev. verry hard.

All of those questions will be answered someday cause after evaluating what it costs to restore a car so it'll actually be worth something (even if the car is all match#'s and verry clean) we decided to do a modern "LeadSlead-hotrod" out of it. Guess what, we tought about boost too.

There was a chrysler concept car a while back, I forget what they called it, that had two neon four cyls bolted together with a special adapter that made it look like one engine. Since the cranks were bolted together it acted just like a straight eight. You might look into something similar for your car, lighter weight, newer technology. I've always wanted to do a V16 like that, but I've got nothing to put it in.

I built a buick straight 8 once. The pistons had to be custom made in California, by Ertel I think IIRC. the rods in those are wimpy and long. The crank stroke was something like 4.5 inches and the bore was ridiculous, like 3.5 inches. I think the max rpm for those is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3500rpm.