HybridZ

Documentary of the Super Datsun resurrection

Bob_H

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, been working on the car for the past few weeks - finally finished/nearly finished a few other projects that were in front.

Ended up pulling the motor back out - going back to the RB25 trans and keeping it closer to stock. G-force trans is out for now - too little time and $$ to make it work.

Of note, I am selling the original oil pan - Brad Davies made for me - similar to the Thaggard pan, etc.. I'll take the first $250 for it shipped. No pickup - but I do have a drain plug welded on. I'll also include the Nissan gasket. Last, I did modify my pickup tube - and I'll include the pickup portion,(just the bottom screen box and a short section of tubing), to help fabricate to your own setup. I also have a RB20 rear sump pan I'd let go for $125 shipped - again, no pickup.

Took some pictures of the car out in the sun for the first time in a while,(its been hiding in the garage). I'll try to post them in a few days. Maaayyybee.. just maybe, this car might run under its own power this fall..... We can all dream can't we!

-Bob

Bob,

I just reread this entire thread. Why do we always have too many projects going?

I remember sending you emails when you were a mid.

I have nothing but awe that you did all this while in the training command.

Navy flying life is a time hog.

I did it for 20.

Your car is gorgeous! I have a similar color but your is a little lighter.

It looks great with the black wheels!

If I ever get down to CC I will look you up.

Fred

Well, not pics of the car, but I did find I had some of the oil pans I'm unloading... Here they are:

RB20rwdoilpan.jpg

RB20rwdoilpan1.jpg

RB26oilpan.jpg

RB26oilpanbottom.jpg

Close up of where it rubbed the steering rack hold-down and bumper. I'm having it fixed by the guy that worked on my other oil pan pictured above.

RB26oilpanrubbing.jpg

Still not sure why I'm not getting notifications of replies... anyone point me to other places where I might look for that setting? Already have it "watching" this topic at the top of the thread...

Pat - you are correct, I was wrong, its a front sump pan. Never used it, didn't check the way it "tilts" - it is a front sump.. Got rid of it.

@Fred - I was a Midshipman back in the 90's - quite a while ago,(in some respects). While I'm in the training command now, I'm instructing and am a reservist. I actually live up in Fort Smith, AR. Need to update my profile. I still come down to CC/Kingsville area to drill. This car is still down here and will be until about mid- Aug. I bought this car after I got through flight school and was in Norfolk.

@Jakester - look at the beginning of the thread - the motor was installed at one point! Now running - that's another issue, maybe a month or two down the road.

Late response to @dispeyon - I don't recall the exact thickness of the material for the pan - but its thick. 1/8" I think. Possibly 3/16? I went heavy duty the second time around.

No pictures right now - I'm busying going all over the place. Had lots of cussing going on getting valve seals on the head.... they are NOT the same size intake vs exhaust like many places sell...... $70 down the drain, we'll try that again....

Sorry for minimal pictures - once I get crackin on it again,(a week or two), they'll start again.

-Bob

• 1 year later...

Well, been working on the car for the past few weeks - finally finished/nearly finished a few other projects that were in front.

Ended up pulling the motor back out - going back to the RB25 trans and keeping it closer to stock. G-force trans is out for now - too little time and $$ to make it work.

Of note, I am selling the original oil pan - Brad Davies made for me - similar to the Thaggard pan, etc.. I'll take the first $250 for it shipped. No pickup - but I do have a drain plug welded on. I'll also include the Nissan gasket. Last, I did modify my pickup tube - and I'll include the pickup portion,(just the bottom screen box and a short section of tubing), to help fabricate to your own setup. I also have a RB20 rear sump pan I'd let go for $125 shipped - again, no pickup.

Took some pictures of the car out in the sun for the first time in a while,(its been hiding in the garage). I'll try to post them in a few days. Maaayyybee.. just maybe, this car might run under its own power this fall..... We can all dream can't we!

-Bob

I know this thread is a bit on the old side, but I'm new to the Z forum, and I'm installing an RB20 in my 75 280Z right now. Do you still have the rear-sump oil pan for sale? Is that the one I need for the RB20 to fit my car? Please excuse my ignorance to the matter. I love Z-cars, but I have very little experience on Nissan parts/engine compatibility.

Saw your msg in my old thread. The rb stamped pan was actually a front sump pan and I was mistaken,(corrected a few posts later). I'll sell the custom pan shown above along with a pickup that you'll have to attach to a tube of some kind for $150. Call it $160 shipped assuming your in the 48 states. I think that flange should work on any RB as it was the same bolt pattern as the RB25 front sump pan shown in my pics.

If your interested, just let me know and I'll give you my paypal info. I can have my welder friend clean up where it rubbed.

I see no point in continuing to move this pan all over the US. I'm back in south Texas again....bout was actually a front sump pan and I was mistaken,(corrected a few posts later). I'll sell the custom pan along with a pickup that you'll have to attach to a tube of some kind for $150. Call it $160 shipped assuming your in the 48 states.

If your interested, just let me know and I'll give you my paypal info. I can have my welder friend clean up where it rubbed.

I see no point in continuing to move this pan all over the US. I'm back in south Texas again....

Bob

• 2 years later...

Well, this topic was started in Oct, 2006 just after I got the car back from the paint shop.  This car has moved with me to S. Texas, up to Arkansas, back to S. Texas and now to North Carolina.  

I FINALLY got it off the trailer and into the garage today.  

DF218C53-485D-41F0-AA1F-D376247ABEB7_zps

Washed the car before I pulled it in to get all the massive coat of pollen, dust/junk that have collected while this sat outside for the past nearly year on the trailer!  To show just how good the guys did on the paint job - here is a shot which I took to show the ghost flames, but it shows the quality of the paint, despite being outside in texas, arkansas and now here for about 2-3 some years of the past 8.  

EFD67A9C-0B46-4A00-B206-10D1CCF80EB2_zps

I'm just happy to finally have it in a garage, have NO other projects on the horizon, and have the ORDER from my wife to "GET IT DONE!"  Why?  Mainly because when it is done, it will be sold so for the first time in over 15 years I will be down to only 1 project - my original 240z which I still have an have great plans with a NA L6 I already have.   For me, it is the one project - for her, the $$$ to pay student loans and something on the house.  

Sometimes i just sit in the garage and stare at her:

EA3F4FA1-AF0A-4C37-BE17-4DA70E2BB6D7_zps

I can't wait to finally drive it for the first time since 2003....  I have some work obligations that start in the fall, so my timeline is fairly clear - get it done this summer.  I'll take it to the track once or twice since owning it this long and not taking it to the track would be a shame and a disgrace.  Besides, VIR is only about 60 miles from my house...  

So this is my official "bump" to get this back to the top and have you guys keep me honest moving it forward.  

So what is left?

Engine will come back out for some prep work:

-Engine wiring harness from Wiring Solutions to mate to a custom harness in the car.

-Fuel pump in the back mated to the already run lines.

-Re-wire the entire car with the custom kit I already have

-Re-do the front intake for the turbos

-the big part - weld in a new trans tunnel where a big hole is from the older side shifter transmission that was in the car when I bought it.  I'll need to source a good transmission tunnel from a trashed car so I won't feel bad about cutting a portion out for my car.  

-Re-install the dash and instruments.

-Figure out the heating controls.  I have a stock panel, but am considering a few options that are different.

-Finish out the interior to include carpet, vinyl, seats, etc..  

-Multiple little things, but those are the bigger items.  

I'll keep photos coming as progress moves along.  

Any leads on a transmission tunnel from a rusted out or trashed car which is not salvageable,(such as wrecked) is much appreciated!  Here is a photo of the "hole" I have to fix:

8A8D077B-C43E-4950-A52C-1F98BB41B61E_zps

Good to see you back at it, Bob. Has it really been that long since you brought the stroked L6 up to NJ for Jimmy?

So apparently it seems you have a summer to figure out a plan that will allow you to keep her. I'd get working on that before the engine come back out :)

Joe

Joe- I brought that motor up in 2002 or 2003 I think? Going on 12 years....2003 was also the last time this car ran under its own power....

The motor in this Z was destined for my 240 which that L6 I sold to Jimmy came out of. Never did make that happen. I still have that Z as it was the first car I ever bought. I now have Dan Baldwin's old NA L6 in it, just not hooked up. 250-260 some odd rwhp I believe vs the ~180 in the motor I sold him. How times have changed.

As to this car, I never intended to keep her- this was always a "project completion and then sell" plan. Granted it has expanded greatly from my initial plans, but you can always build another right?

Bobby

• 4 years later...

Well, revive from the dead!  Looks like most of the photobucket pics are back working again!  :)

Looking for some advice from the collective here. 

I'm still in the Navy, and this car has followed me from NC, up to Rhode Island, then back down here to Norfolk, VA where I'm currently stationed. 

I'm at a cross roads though - I may look to sell the full RB26 setup - front to back, intercooler, piping, RB25 trans, mounts, etc..  This includes the upgraded manifolds, GT Lemans turbos and downpipes.  Not looking to sell the car. 

The question, if I did that, best place to advertise?  Bring a Trailer was a thought, but this is a fairly narrow market regardless.  This is an ~12k mile motor, completely gone through, upgraded the oil pump, did all the gaskets, etc.. 

Good RB26 engines alone are back up in the 5-7k range, (yes, ragged high mileage ones are cheaper).  This is a plug and play for any 240-280z person, (maybe modify the trans mount depending on your trans mount style). 

What does it need? 

Clutch was stock, that may be something someone wants to do.

Is setup for the stock MAFs.  If you want the larger Z32 size ones, the intake tubes have to be modified or get the upgraded NISMO ones that are the same size.  

Injectors are stock, computer and wiring is stock.

Driveshaft is custom regardless - I'll include whatever stock RB driveshaft I had so someone has a starting point.

For me to get this running - I need to give it fuel, and start it.  And I may do just that as part of showing it is ready for sale as a plug and play.  

That's likely it.  My guess is the current setup is good for around 400 whp if properly tuned, maybe 450,(but injectors are likely limit at that point).  Turbos are good for more and I always tried to set it up for breathing so limits were fuel and camshafts, not piping and airflow. 

If I kept it, what would I do?

Clutch since the oem one in there is used, might as well get an upgraded/new one.

Aftermarket tuning of some kind - so many choices, need to do some recent research. 

If I got really brave - new larger injectors and then the tomei PON cams.  That should put this setup somewhere close to 500 whp and would be plenty for the car.  Might consider a ATI damper as I have the stock one. 

That's it.

Those who have read this very, very long thread, know all the detail that went into it - the oil pan alone was a custom beast.  If I recall, it also has a jun oil pump. 

So I'm looking to the collective here:

-Best place to advertise if I did decide to sell the combo

-Best guess on reasonable price?  I have my own idea, but I don't want to poison the pot with my own opinion. 

Let me dig up the specs from within this thread and update this post with the engine details and intercooler/etc.. 

Well,

I'll have to go into my file back home,(down visiting family right now) to get the specs on what I put in the engine. 

What I recall:

Intercooler is PWR, link to their stuff here: https://www.pwr.com.au/products/intercoolers/air-to-air-intercoolers

I got calico(?) coated bearings to replace the stock ones when I pulled everything apart. 

Full Nissan gasket replacements - went through everything, head, block, etc...  Brand new timing belt, water pump and parts.

Jun (I think - I'll pull the papers), oil pump

I think HKS manifolds and down pipes with the GT Lemans turbos,(OEM for the lemans effort with the RB26).  All the custom tubing as you can see.  I had them do the supports for the intercooler to bolt into stock holes,(either radiator supports or the one you can see across the top cross member).

Engine originally came from a Stagea 260RS - the station wagon version of the GT-R, the engine is the R33 model, even though the year of the engine was when the R34 car had come out,(there was a delay in switching to the R34 in the wagon if I recall).  Bottom line - very low mileage engine, I paid a premium when I bought it to ensure I didn't get a crap one. 

I bought it in 2002 and it had I believe 10-15 km on it, again, I'll find the documents and some pics showing how clean the inside was when I tore it down. 

All thoughts are welcome and I'll update this early this week when I get into my files back home. 

-Bobby

Edited by Bob_H

Hey Bob, good to hear from you! Unfortunately, social media has caused a tremendous decline in the amount of traffic HybridZ now sees. Your best bet would be to list this on one of the many Facebook groups created for the S30.

Also, depending on your final number, the setup might just end up in NJ :)

Glad to hear you are still Datsun involved!

Joe

Interesting that the traffic has declined - I never would have guessed.  

Absolutely still Datsun involved.  I still have the first car I ever bought - my 73 240z and I don't intend to sell it.  It's in storage at my parents in a state of disassembly that some day I'll tackle again.  The 72 that houses this setup is my other Z. 

I'll search around on the FB groups/etc.. maybe Instagram.  Odd, didn't realize all the traffic shifted.  I see mostly FS posts on FB, not so much trying to get info on how to do things.  I always saw them as hand in hand, but you never know! 

I'd guess in the mid-teens will be my price to take this all off my hands.  I still need to go through my documentation/old pics/etc.. and make sure I don't mis-represent the setup. 

-Bobby

Edited by Bob_H