HybridZ

Documentary of the Super Datsun resurrection

Bob_H

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, some work on the engine tonight. Lots of grease, carb cleaner, and lint free rags.

Pistons are now soaking overnight to get the last of the gummy crap off. #6 piston was esp. bad with cacked on crap - no surprise considering how the coolant flows, etc..

Should have the engine back together tomorrow evening - to be in the car on Monday. That's the plan anyways....you know how those go. :)

Took a shot of the the bearings. The Rod bearings are on the top,(with the top bearing to the top of the photo), and the main bearings on the bottom. Right side = front of motor. What I don't have a shot of is the back side of the thrust bearing. It shows how even on a 12k mile motor, the thrust bearing will get worn out when you have to start the car with the clutch in,(was showing copper).

Also included is a shot of the new dipstick hole. Had to make sure it would work with the new oil pan - it does. Did my best to set the level to where it should be. It's all a guess anyways. Any ideas for plugging the old hole?

That's it for tonight.

Soaking pistons_thumb.jpg

Bearings_thumb.jpg

Dipstick holes_thumb.jpg

Guest Crispy Chicken

WOW!!! Super nice!! That body/paint work looks flawless. Love the color. I was thinking about the g-noise. Your car is actually the frist car I've seen with it, or noticed. It looks happy! To bad I don't live closer I'd like to see how the fiberglass came out in person...

Derek

Nice Ducting Bob! I should do something like that to mine as well. I had considered a supplemental air intake in my front air dam to go to the intercooler, but then where would my RX7 Oil Cooler go??? Space is such a bugger with the G-Nose, it's almost worth it to brace the front end with tube, lay the radiator down and make it a "bottom breather" so you can segregate separate airflows for the I/C and the Radiator. I know when I cluttered my G-Nose intake up with (er...) Teeth, the temperature went up, so I removed every other (er...) Tooth and succeeded in lowering the temp the 15 degrees F it had risen...while at the same time changing the look of the vehicle from "Loose Ferengi" to "Land Shark", hence the name "Sharkie" which others hung on the car afterwards. LOL Funny how others get to name your car, huh? Keep us posted, looks great! Sharkie Languishes in the pasture rife with Black Widows waiting for me to have more time... :^(

So I've been up all night trying to get the motor assembled so I can put it on the trailer late tonight or early tomorrow. For the first time in three years, my motor has all its "parts" attached. I pulled the front turbo off when I first got the motor and just now put it back on.

Speaking of lines and such - holy cow! there was some serious gunk in the oil lines. I was just using some carb cleaner to blow them out, and blow them out I did. I think after the motor had warmed up for the first time, it would have slowly disolved these blockages - however that assumes I wasn't going to head out and run it hard. I'm just glad they are clean. I'll download the pictures later today. For now, off to finish other "to-do" items.

-Bob

I don't have any straight side shots. The next closest besides what is in the first post are these two from the front,(the rear is in the first post):

If you want a particular shot, I'll see what I can do, but with my trip starting tomorrow, it may be a month or longer before you can see it.

-Bob

Driver front_thumb.JPG

1622_thumb.attach

Late last night I dropped the car off at Morgan Performance Fabrication in Birmingham, AL for some intercooler/intake fabrication.

If your nearby, please give Walker a call and swing by the shop. I'll be picking it up next Wednesday. He'll be in the shop Monday and Tuesday working on it - I'm sure he'd welcome the viewing. I had to lift his jaw off the floor when we rolled it in the shop - its worth the trip.

Here is his website:

http://mpfab.com/

Was recommended to him through James T.

Anyways - this trip cross country is killing me - I'm ready to be in Texas. And James - sorry about not stopping by in Anderson - I rolled past Anderson at about 8pm at night on my way down to Alabama. Walker met me about 10pm at night - talk about a stand up guy.

No pictures until next Wed...

-Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, finally back online consistently again.

Some shots from my "trip".

First, Walker Morgan of Morgan Performance Fabrication did all the work and I'll say it again - he went out of his way and was a complete professional. I can't recommend him enough. The work was top notch and I need to thank his wife for the late nights he spent to accomodate my very short schedule. You can ask for better customer service than that.

Ok, just a few shots. I'm still working on the intakes. Yes, I'm keeping the MAF's. Save your comments on how ditching them would be easier - I want them and will keep them for now. I can always remove them later. I now have the K&N filters,(from a snowmobile!) and the front brace bracket for the lower intake tube. Those pictures will be later.

Enjoy.

-Bob

Trailer shot_thumb.jpg

Intercooler1_thumb.jpg

Intake1_thumb.jpg

Intake2_thumb.jpg

Looks DAM SWEET Bob!! That color just sets that car off like no other....

I kinda wish I would have taken the route you did with your motor. It will be plenty fast as is, and you have all that extra money to spend on must haves. I'm sure you will be happy with the performance.....

It sure looks awesome! :2thumbs:

Damw looks amazing. What kind of i/c do you have?

It is a PWR core with custom end tanks. Their selection can be seen here:

http://www.pwr-performance.com/intercooler.htm

I can't find it on the site, but one of the reasons I chose them was the different design of the tubes themselves - it is thicker on the leading edges,(better dent/ding protection), and thinner in the middle for better heat transfer. I have a limited airflow to deal with, so a bar and plate were not a strong consideration as they would have restricted airflow even more. I was originally looking at a delta fin setup similar to the no longer available Apex'i intercooler cores. There are some Chinese knock-off's that I wasn't really enamored with. I almost found these by luck. They gave me about 30% off the list price of the core size I was looking at,(I had originally inquired about one of their sale item intercoolers).

They are an Australian company which is now expanding to the US. PWR apparently outfits several OEM's in Australia - or so they say.

Long answer to a short question.

-Bob

Uh intresting so thay basiclly took one of there cores and ad diffrent end tanks too fit. I have hear of them but never actually had tought about using there cores. Probably ending up buying one of the Megan racing i/c just to save some $$$. What are the dimensions of youre i/c if you dont mind me asking? Looks very unique in the G-nose.

Thanks Bob!

From earlier:

Do you have a sideview picture that you can post?

Ken,

Here is a recent side shot when I had to move it out of the garage and back in tonight.

For the core dimensions... I'll have to fish those up. Maybe next week. It is a fairly big core, I think 24 inch x 11 x 2.75. I'm guessing a bit though.

-Bob

Side shot_thumb.jpg

Bob, that thing is just georgeous - just goes to show you that a well integrated Gnose and flair set will make the car look mean and as if it was designed that way to begin with - not an afterthought. Incredible!

(The next time someone starts telling me how much they love bolt-on overfenders, I will point them to your photos so they can see what well integrated and sculpted flairs look like!)

From earlier:

Ken,

Here is a recent side shot when I had to move it out of the garage and back in tonight.

For the core dimensions... I'll have to fish those up. Maybe next week. It is a fairly big core, I think 24 inch x 11 x 2.75. I'm guessing a bit though.

-Bob

Bob,

Cool! Thanks!

I'm in the middle of doing a G Nose with Subtle Z front fenders, YZ rear fenders, and a custom front integrated airdam for a customer. It has a number of very interesting touches including a functioning retractable rear spoiler (still in prototype stage) etc...

I believe the lines on this car will be similar to yours so I was very curious to see the side view.

Is yours running yet???

Ken