HybridZ

need info on how-to s14 engine to 240z

jvillarreal

ok, if there´s no how-to... then knows anyone that take pictures of his engine swap?, is for make the same steps.

One a time anybody document his swap and i think this can help to me.

i think first i need to put in the bay the engine+trans( all s14)

second align with the body, how can i do this, any references? any measures ? or need to see any point for take a reference.

i´m thankful all the help.

I'm currently swapping a ka24de from a 92 240sx into my 76 280z, I have been taking some photos, and have more which I haven't uploaded yet which can be viewed here... http://www.midwestpd.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=437&g2_navId=x24dbf99d

I ended up using the sr20 cradle mount, I talked to alex over at vildini and was very happy with the crafstmanship and fitament.

As far as wiring, I have completely stripped the car so we basically started over with a painless 7 circuit fuse block and a couple extra fuse blocks for headlights, ignition, etc. you can thin out the 240 harness quite a bit by removing everything you don't need. We also used a 240sx cluster so that was basically plug and play after splicing from the bay harnes.

Using the vildini cradle and the l28 mounts we got the engine about 1" off the firewall and notched the edge of the driver's side mount to make sure there was no interference with the column. With the cradle I am still able to use the stock oil pan w/o clearance issues.

Bear in mind you'll need a radiator less than 26" wide with outlets on the passenger side.

We started with an auto, but put in a 5 speed, there is already a plate to take off the firewall, where you can mount the clutch master cylinder, and you can use the 240sx one, but you will need to drill new holes. the clutch lines line up pretty well from the sx as well. You will need to fabricate a tranny mount, and you will need to get a custom drive shaft made, mine ended up being only 23". Also, we replaced the throttle levers with a cable and pedal from an old stanza.

Well, that should give you a start at least, I'll get some more pics posted very soon and if all goes according to plan it'll be back on the road by this weekend.

James

Well, of course all hasn't gone according to plan, we were having some small electical issues, but we've worked them out and got it started last night. Not too much longer now until it's back on the road under it's own power. I'll get more pictures and more details very soon and I'll be adding the pictures to the gallery from my last post. James

I don't want to hijack this thread, but DrJ, how was the overall install? Any major fitment issues? Was it necessary to notch the mount to clear the steering?

What are your overall plans with the motor? I am looking into doing this motor, but putting on a turbo. Do you think there is room for a turbo between the motor and the master cylinder? You pictures lead me to believe one might fit. Thanks for any info.

The install was not too difficult, there is certainly plenty of room in that bay with the ka24de, I don't see clearance being an issue with the turbo and the master cylinder, although it may get your brake fluid rather warm.

We did notch the motor mounts, it may not be entirely necessary, but we had some rubbing so we notched it back so that there wouldn't be any concerns of binding.

My plan for the moment is to leave the ka pretty much stock besides the header, downpipe and custom exhaust. I plan to eventually put in a ca18det, but the ka was very cheap and my stock motor had a blown head gasket and auto, so it was the best option at the time.