HybridZ

shifter hight

I know there are tons of posts about this issue. I searched and searched and couldn't find an answer to my question...

I want to use a B&M mega shifter, or something like it. I should say that would be my first choice, but I am not dead set on it. The normal floor mount mega shifter sticks up about 12", which is way WAY too tall. I have read (on this sight) about people using camaro console shifters, but all I really found was... " Yeah, I think somebody has tried that." I want to run the console, but again, I am not dead set on it.

My limitations: I have the means to do some light fabrication using sheet metal, cutting/ trimming. Welding can be done in my situation, but would be a huge PITA for what I have to work with.

What have you all found that works and looks halfway decent that doesn't stick up like a truck shifter, if there is such a thing?

Forces:

I'm using a B&M Megashifter (700R4 console model for Camaro/Firebird) and it looks factory in my 83ZX. I've been using it for 5 years now without any problems. The design on the shift indicator cable sucks on mine (broken twice), but perhaps they have improved it in the last few years. Summit has them... Good luck...

Dan

• Like 1

I'm using a B&M ratchet shifter for my TH400 trans. I cut an opening in the trans tunnel and fabricated a platform about 3" below the top of the tunnel. The shifter was then attached to the platform. There is clearance for the trans and the recessed shifter does not look objectionable.

9455custom_console_recessed_shifter_box.jpg

• Like 1

I used ratchet shifter (I forgot what the name was) with a 200r4 and there is a lot of room inside the tranmission tunnel to sink the shifter down, but it requires fabricating a couple of brackets to lower the shifter.

Later I made a box to enclose the bottom out of aluminum ducting and added some dynmat insulation in the box to keep the heat and noise out. It was pretty easy to do and still retain a close to stock look.

Pay careful attention how far forward or backward you position the shifter if you don't want to cut up the center console or hit the heater control panel.

Dscn0641_thumb.jpg

Dscn0647_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I cut an opening in the trans tunnel and fabricated a platform about 3" below the top of the tunnel. The shifter was then attached to the platform. There is clearance for the trans and the recessed shifter does not look objectionable.

Turbo Meister, that looks beautiful! Very nicely done. I never liked the look of the whole base sticking on top of the tunnel. Your answer looks fabulous!! :2thumbs:

Davy

So I guess the answer to my question is to sink the shifter. I read that in a few other forums, but I was hoping to get around that. The pics are great. I had a mega shifter in a camaro (console version) and I loved it.

Anyone got any pics of a mega shifter, or a Hurst equivalent?

The shifter I used was a Hurst Promatic, but the brackets I used will look similar to the megashifter. The thing to watch out for is how far the shifter goes when it is in park. I was going to use a B+M with a pistol grip but it really goes far forward into the center console. The picture on the right I posted earlier is from underneath without the driveshaft in place. I hate to suggest the dreaded "while you are at it", but it is a good time to upgrade the fuel lines. Also in the pic is the rear brake biasing valve brake lines.

I'm using a B&M ratchet shifter for my TH400 trans. I cut an opening in the trans tunnel and fabricated a platform about 3" below the top of the tunnel. The shifter was then attached to the platform. There is clearance for the trans and the recessed shifter does not look objectionable.

9455custom_console_recessed_shifter_box.jpg

....like minds.

Got mine apart at the moment but you get the idea. More work but definitely worth it.

shifter_thumb.jpg