HybridZ

The Ultimate L28ET Guide/What you need for 350+whp!

Drax240z

Guest 78Zboy

I was wondering if i could use my L28 motor out of my 78 Z. I know that this is probably a stupid question but i am just wondering. Sorry if this pisses anybody off.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i have a 82zx and i plan on picking up a 82 or 83 zxt engine. i know that i have to replace my ecu and pick up an intercooler. my question is do i have to get a new fuel pump, distributer, and maf, or will the zx components work with the zxt? pretty much what i am asking in the case of the zx people is it worth the money to buy the whole doner car or just the basic components? i am planning to put down maybe 250hp. and i have searched but most info is for aftermarket parts or swaps into 240z/260z/280z very few zx.

• 4 weeks later...
i have a 82zx and i plan on picking up a 82 or 83 zxt engine. i know that i have to replace my ecu and pick up an intercooler. my question is do i have to get a new fuel pump, distributer, and maf, or will the zx components work with the zxt? pretty much what i am asking in the case of the zx people is it worth the money to buy the whole doner car or just the basic components? i am planning to put down maybe 250hp. and i have searched but most info is for aftermarket parts or swaps into 240z/260z/280z very few zx.

i'm doing this swap now. everything changes, and if you want to convert to the turbo dash guages it's alot more work (wich doing now). It basically means changing LOTS of wiring on the entire car. It's a real pita.

Looking at it now, I'm much more comfortable designing my own dash in the future and wiring it in myself. The stock system is very poorly design IMO and isn't intended to really be taken out easily.

This is probly a good thing to mention in this FAQ, that if you want a 280ZX to begin with, it's much more affordable and less time consuming to find a car that you don't have to do a swap into. I bought a donor car wich was well kept by someone here on HZ for $1,350. Same week I passed up a sweet deal on a clean 280ZX turbo for $1,800 wich was having some small issues. Looking back on it I should have just spent the 1,800, oh well.

It might be more expensive, but it's probly more effective to just go stanadalone from the begining. The way I see it, if you're gonna put a bunch of work into wiring the new engine in, you may as well put in something that will just need to be replaced in the future if you want more power. Plus the effiency of one of the newer systems is nice. Much more solid air/fuel ratio.

You HAVE to use the turbo AFM if you plan on using the stock wiring. If you use the N/a AFM it will act as though your hitting redline at 4000rpm, it won't rev past that at all.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is an example for you. At my local track, we have a class called domestic. Rules can be viewed at Atlantamotorspeedway.com friday drags...rules. These are street legal V8s with hard tires and no power adders. The quickest car I've seen in the class runs a 7.20 et (1/8 mile) A nearly stock L28ET with boltons and upgraded turbo will do that all day. That will beat any LS chevy car, Ive seen it! Glad you made the right decision.

• 7 months later...

debating if I want to naturally aspirated engine or turbo set. I'm looking to for about 250-300 hp. Wondering if a guy could build naturally aspirated 2.8 liter that high? And how much it would take. I would rather stick with the naturally aspirated engine idea. This is my first Z build and would love some insight on it. Thanks

• 9 months later...

I have to say this because no one has mentioned it,you will hit a brick wall at around 250hp with the factory AFM(not to mention binding).If you are wanting around 300hp the 84-85 300zx(turbo) wiring harness and MAF is the only way to go. Drive-ability and throttle response is 200% better, not to mention easier to find parts for. 

Edited by alrighty