HybridZ

V8 Z needed for pinks ?

I'd venture to say if you really went budget with decent used heads, you could hit 9's on motor. Just don't expect it to last that long.

I tend to agree with this statement. You'd probably get kicked off the track quick running an IRS sub 10's but it woudl be fun for a run or two :)

Most of my drag racing expereince has been dealing with fairly heavy street legal or close to it cars such as Chevelles, Camaros, and occasionally soemthing as light as a Chevy II.

Using a solid proven 383-400 combo these cars can fairly easily get well into the 11's. A full bodied ~3500 lb car running mid 11's with a fairly streetable gear with a relatively budget built SBC.

When you reduce the weight to early Z specs, that's approx a 1000 lb reduction, that theoreticallyh would reduce ET by 1 full second.

So a mid 10 should be a no-brainer on a Z car if the suspension/tire package will hook.

My car is very near what Dr Hunt mentioned.

A budget 400 SBC with a set of used (new but injured) Trick Flows that were reworked by CFM Performance.

A solid flat tappet cam, etc. Total expenditure on the motor is less than $2000 from carb to oil pan.

Judging from tonight's test drive, I might make 9's a goal...

I`m pretty sure a HybridZ sanctioned build is out of the question after what happened last time. BUT... that doesn`t mean that it couldn`t be done privately.

I would love to see a "REAL" hybrid with a v8 as the hybridz founding fathers intended.

I know the thought of a 500hp 4cyl sounds cool and all, but why not a 1000hp 8cyl? After all there is NO REPLACEMENT for DISPLACEMENT.

I'll say again and very FRANKLY... what's in PINKS?!?!?!?!?! Furthermore... WHERE is it NOW?!?!?! If you want to play games and make us ALL FEEL LIKE IDIOTS, then you can KEEP your "PINKS" crap.

I do not understand your statement.......

How about this, and yes-I'm VERY serious.

Let me begin by saying that I liked the idea of a HybridZ pinks, but I didn't like the outcome, with a few extra days or so, I believe we would have won. I am all for a sanctioned build, where the admins and mods make the final decisions on everything while still taking opinions from members. But with the build being maintained by the admins and mods, there is almost no chance of error.

Now that I said that, here is what I have to offer. I live fairly close to Mike Kelly, who is an admin. As long as everyone would be up for another donation based group build, and if the admins want to pursue a PINKS 2 build, I think we should do it. That being said, I AM WILLING TO DONATE my shell to the cause, as long as if we win(more like when we win)that I can get the shell back. I'm not trying to be greedy and get whatever goodies get put into it,you guys can take all that stuff back out when your done with it.(I wouldn't mind a solid rear though:P) I would just like the car back, but if we loose its not a big deal.

The car itself is in fairly good condition, doesn't seem like its been wrecked, maybe a fender bender at one point, but the frame is straight, and solid. It has a very little bit of rust, but not major rust. The body is straight and solid, has a few dings and dents, but again, nothing major.

Let me know what you guys think, and we'll see if it can get worked out.

Well, if you listen to the entire radio interview with Rich Christensen after his 2 wheel foopaa, you'd realize that he's not leaving the show open to just any swinging dork with a quasi fast car any more. They're now looking for "SHOPS" with cars, like the BullyDog truck that they ran a couple of seasons ago. If you're an independent, or an internet group, with just a car that has been cobbled together, you'd be better off finding another venue. Pinks is turning a corner and not looking back. Seems they don't care too much about the fan base (if you can call the people who watch the show that). They're going more for the commercial side of it, talking about approaching "Custom Hod Rod" shops and what not at SEMA. They're talking about MAJOR sponsored teams and shops, leaving the small guys out. Kinda like forgetting from where they came. Seems like a BAD decision once the word gets out, but that's just my opinion.

• Administrators
How about this, and yes-I'm VERY serious.

Let me begin by saying that I liked the idea of a HybridZ pinks, but I didn't like the outcome, with a few extra days or so, I believe we would have won. I am all for a sanctioned build, where the admins and mods make the final decisions on everything while still taking opinions from members. But with the build being maintained by the admins and mods, there is almost no chance of error.

Now that I said that, here is what I have to offer. I live fairly close to Mike Kelly, who is an admin. As long as everyone would be up for another donation based group build, and if the admins want to pursue a PINKS 2 build, I think we should do it. That being said, I AM WILLING TO DONATE my shell to the cause, as long as if we win(more like when we win)that I can get the shell back. I'm not trying to be greedy and get whatever goodies get put into it,you guys can take all that stuff back out when your done with it.(I wouldn't mind a solid rear though:P) I would just like the car back, but if we loose its not a big deal.

The car itself is in fairly good condition, doesn't seem like its been wrecked, maybe a fender bender at one point, but the frame is straight, and solid. It has a very little bit of rust, but not major rust. The body is straight and solid, has a few dings and dents, but again, nothing major.

Let me know what you guys think, and we'll see if it can get worked out.

Rusch Motorsports would be glad to sponsor another HYBRID-Z PINKS project, such as another custom cylinder head like we did for the original PINKS project, especially it were to remain L-6 or even RB powered.

BTW, we haven’t heard from the winner of the PINKS long block… Does he have it up and running? Awaiting to hear just how fast that combo is running once truly “dialed” in…..

Paul

I would love to see another pinks Z, although it must be admin controlled. I also agree that all the final decisions must be agreed upon by the admins with input/opinions of the members. In the past I suggested for the project to be built at dr_hunt's place. Doc knows his stuff, has experience, has a worthy Z shell, and most of the resources for a "budget" build. Anyway, just some ideas.

I too watched the Pinks Z reruns last night, and despite the loss and all the crap that happened after the show, I wear my Team hybridZ pinks shirt with pride.

the untilmate pinks car would be on nitrous or a turbo. just run it and each time you do turn the boost up or put bigger jets in. so you negoiate, add more, and win. screw them cry babies. they all sand bag anyway and the guys that actually do run there car all its got gets screwed in the end.

How is your suggestion not sandbagging :)

my suggestion is just to make up for all those poeple that do. letting off the gas or pedaling before the end of the quarter mile is sandbanging to me. turning up the boost a bit or adding more nitrous is just racing to win.

Rusch Motorsports would be glad to sponsor another HYBRID-Z PINKS project, such as another custom cylinder head like we did for the original PINKS project, especially it were to remain L-6 or even RB powered.

Paul

So technically, if we got Rusch Motorsports to sponser, we could call it a "shop car" although not really built in shop. I too like the idea of an RB powered Z on pinks.

They're now looking for "SHOPS" with cars, like the BullyDog truck that they ran a couple of seasons ago. If you're an independent, or an internet group, with just a car that has been cobbled together, you'd be better off finding another venue. .

Well that sucks. Typical though, its always about the money. The show would go from a grass routes sort of venue to yet another over paid professional event where regular people can't relate. Man I miss the 60s when you could play without being rich or connected.

Well, actually, what has been kicked around is building 2 separate cars. Those plans are in the discussion phase only at this time, with one car being built at my shop and one on the west coast. One as a remodel of the original "pinks" car (except that it works) and a V8 powered car that'll stomp most anything around.

• 1 year later...
13 sec? TV makes stuff look slow. The pinks car could only manage 370whp on the dyno and still trapped 124mph. On the show we had a misfire but the car was still trapping in the 114-117 range. I watched it as well. I know we lost and some bad things went down afterwards but all I have is good memories . . .

your negotiator was a complete dick to. I would have punched him out if he would have told me 20 lengths.