HybridZ

Custom fuel injection "kit", any interest?

lt1will620

and i STILL ran a 13.9.
Not if you don’t have a timing slip you didn’t, so far you only have a slip for a 14 second run so 14's is all you got, you can beer-talk all you want but until you can repeat it you’ve got squat.

I once got a 12.7 @ 111 MPH (with a ticket) but I don’t claim it as it was a "footed" run, IE the track marshal couldn’t be bothered to stage me properly and fudged the light with his foot.

I can however reliably run low 13’s (18 runs this year sub 13.5, 40 runs this year under 13.8) so I can safely claim, low 13’s nothing more.

I also don’t get why people think we should all be running 300HP, to get anywhere near 100HP per litre is very tricky and costly…the pro builders on here (Braap, 1 Fast Z etc) will tell you….why no one is listening to them God only knows.

And regarding

there is NO WAY you can accurately estimate 1/4 mile times
I’ll treat this statement with the contempt it deserves, it clearly shows your total lack of understanding on this matter, professional and amateur drag racers have been using calculus for years. Clearly you are neither, so how can you speak with such implied expertise

See http://www.crew-chief.com/

http://www.web-cars.com/math/quarterjr.html

http://www.altalabinstrument.com/software.html

The NHRA even do correction charts for altitude

Summit Racing even have a log book available so you can log the weather conditions to use later in your calculations

A good friend and mentor of mine who used to run in “Pro ET” a UK race series (regularly ran 9’s so he knows what he is talking about) first put me on to this and I use Quartermaster to plan out my entire race season mods.

if anyone is interested, (dont know how this applies to the ITB intake), the book Optimizing Your Ignition by Dr. Christopher A. Jacobs (the Dr. Jacobs from Jacobs Electronics) shows how to dyno your own car using a stopwatch and a pad of paper. and if your measurements are accurate, the dyno is accurate to 2%!!

now how to get quarter mile times out of the weight of the car and horsepower...

And regarding I’ll treat this statement with the contempt it deserves, it clearly shows your total lack of understanding on this matter, professional and amateur drag racers have been using calculus for years. Clearly you are neither, so how can you speak with such implied expertise

way to take my quote out of context, i said it cannot be done with high school level physics, which is not calc based, the calculations are not difficult for an M.E. like myself, but just using the mass x accell formula will not yeild accurate results...let me repost that whole thing...

And whoever said you can use simple high school physics to calculate 1/4 times and trap speed is full of sh*t, you dont get into exponentially increasing/decreasing acceleration in high school physics, and without that, there is NO WAY you can accuratly estimate 1/4 mile times. Not to mention you would also need accurate friction coeff. on both the particular tire and the track, temperatures, baro readings, etc. also not covered in high school crap.

Seems to me that regardless of peoples differing attitudes everyone use to let dogs lie to avoid an arguement. I don't know about anyone else, but I was really interested in this thread until the bashing started. If you don't like what bubbles had to say ignore it and move on. It's that simple. You're on the internet, what's the point in arguing? There will never be a resolve as no one will ever prove him right or wrong and vise versa. This is a tech forum to gather information and resolve problems, not argue and bicker amongst ourselves over who has what and whether it can really run...But I digress, no point in continuing this path of soap box ranting as it only serves to bring me down to the level this thread has gone to.

Remember when pointing a finger at someone else, there's three more pointing back at you.

And whoever said you can use simple high school physics to calculate 1/4 times and trap speed is full of sh*t' date=' you dont get into exponentially increasing/decreasing acceleration in high school physics, and without that, there is NO WAY you can accuratly estimate 1/4 mile times. Not to mention you would also need accurate friction coeff. on both the particular tire and the track, temperatures, baro readings, etc. also not covered in high school crap.

[/quote']

Dont know what "school" you went to chap, but my nephew could do this and he's 12

What on earth is so difficult about

quarter_mile_power_weight.gif

BTW Qmt = quarter mile time

I dont see any

increasing/decreasing acceleration
just Newtonian Physics, (He was the English Guy with the apple yeah)

I agree its not spot on ...never said it was..but hey claiming to do a 13.9 with no timing slip is hardly accurate is it bud :D

The above formula will give you a reasonably close figure on what your setup can achieve...not what it will achieve

Not to mention you would also need accurate friction coeff. on both the particular tire and the track
Err Duhhh!!! A coefficient by definition is a constant not a variable.

hahaha---nice one.
looks like you made about as much contribution to this thread as in building your engine (s)

Anyway lets respect the thread owner and other interested parties and keep it on topic, I for one apologise for taking it off

Seems to me that regardless of peoples differing attitudes everyone use to let dogs lie to avoid an arguement. I don't know about anyone else, but I was really interested in this thread until the bashing started. If you don't like what bubbles had to say ignore it and move on. It's that simple. You're on the internet, what's the point in arguing? There will never be a resolve as no one will ever prove him right or wrong and vise versa. This is a tech forum to gather information and resolve problems, not argue and bicker amongst ourselves over who has what and whether it can really run...But I digress, no point in continuing this path of soap box ranting as it only serves to bring me down to the level this thread has gone to.

Remember when pointing a finger at someone else, there's three more pointing back at you.

ture that. most peopel let sleeping dogs lie, but the fued between 1 fast Z and bubbles has spanned a couple of forums and i dont know why.

this is a tech forum. we should be talking about tech. most of the time we do talk about tech. Im guessing this thread may make it to the trash box or whatever forum they have thwere they put in all the crap threads.

I have been able to pinpoint the exact instance where this thread went into the crapper. HERE.

back on track.... if you were going to use GIXXER TBs, and split them up, you could just get a flange made and use some aluminum 2" ID pipes as runners. you could even go ghetto like the honda kids and use rubber pipe couplers!! could probably have this up and running in a few days. only problem would be linkage. and the 2 middle cylinders because they have 2 exhaust ports inbetween them. still make for some weird ass runners.

i dont need a timeslip when well over 100 people watched as my car went down the track and ran that time...

it was at the last SEZ afterall---hopefully people actually watched the races :-

rubber couplers isnt just a honda think...

people at a LT1wills school made a carbon fiber intakemanifold for their little go-kart racer with a 600cc engine in it....they used rubber pipe to connect the intake manifold to the throttle bodies or something along the lines of that...i forgot what it looked like...quite interesting, but still a piece of crap.

• Administrators

and all im saying about the unequal length runners is, as long as I myself, or others on this board for that matter, are going to build a custom ITB setup, just try to keep the runners equal length….

Fair enough…

BTW, my head/intake porter (for my lt1's) got in an argument about textures in intake ports….

Yeup, quite familiar with textured ports. No black magic there… We leave the intake ports in the head with either a sanding wrap finish or bead blast finish.

What is Rusch Motorsports BTW? and do you take this attitude of "there only street cars, so its not important to do good work" on all your customers cars?

BTW, if i could go back in time and convince the Nissan engineers to design this head differently, i would, BUT, this head design is what i have to work with, so its what im using.

As for the L-series head, I agree. We have to work with what we have and overcome as many of the shortcomings that the L-series has in a cost effective manner that fits within the customers budget and performance goals. That is a delicate juggling act for sure…

As for who is Rusch Motorsports? Just do a search here on Hybrid for “BRAAP” and read some of the tech articles I’ve written and take a look at a few of the Datsun L-series cylinder heads/engines we’ve built...

Here is a sample of what we do…

This P-90 head ran on the PINKS Z, 5 angle valve seat work, extensive valve unshrouding, and the list goes on and on. In the PINKS section of this forum you’ll find all the details of this build up, (that is if it is still accessible, haven’t checked in a long time).

DeckSmall.jpg

ExhaustsMedium.jpg

IntakesMedium.jpg

A very custom high compression welded chamber N-42 for a Hybrid members road race car.

Phil3Medium.jpg

A complete custom L-22 hybrid engine build for Mark Warner. Ron Tyler and myself scratch built the intake as well.

MarksengineMedium.jpg

Currently, this is the icing on my engine building career. This engine we built, machined, and Dyno tuned at Sunset Engine Development for Justin Boice of Boice Jet. This 540 CID BBC Twin Turbo, multi port EFI, water to air intercooled, white water endurance Jet Boat race engine produced a whopping 1168 HP at 5800 RPM on the Dyno with 12 psi of boost on AV gas and 10:1 compression. Justin went on to set more than a few speed/time records around the world with this engine, mostly in the western US and New Zealand.

54oBBCTTCustom.jpg

here is shot of the engine running on the dyno churning out 1168 HP…

HOTSmall.jpg

Valley shot during the build up…

J-3top.jpg

The boat it powered on course, Rogue River, southern Oregon.

JustinB.jpg

Ok, now lets get this thread back on track discussing custom L-6 Fuel injection intakes…

BRAAP… OUT!

Heh, I always enjoy your posts braap.

What is you guys take on a single TB manifold. Is there a very big advantage to the Azcar TB location, (in the middle facing towards the head)?

Ive been thinking about a manifold that curves up slightly (simliar to James Thagards old TT intake manifold) and has a throttle body in the middle facing the fender. It seems to me like this would be the best place for the TB as it would help distribute air to each cylinder more evenly.

Also for those of you looking to make your own mainfolds I foudn a rather neat site called Ross Machine racing. Nice plenum stock (although a bit thick) in addition to air horns, runners, fuel rail stock etc. Im hoping to get some flanges cut in the next couple weeks, there is a water jet place right down the street. I just need to get through finals so i can have some time to sit down and draw them up.

Ross Machine Racing:

http://www.rossmachineracing.com/index.htm

• Administrators

Btw RonTyler, that is a absolutly gorgeous flange youve made up. I gotta get to work on mine shortly.

Thanks Chief. It was a bit premature for public showing, being still very much in the rough.

With the 'inspiring' path this thread has taken... the temptation was far to great :wink:

• Administrators
What is you guys take on a single TB manifold. Is there a very big advantage to the Azcar TB location, (in the middle facing towards the head)?

Hoke,

I don't have concrete evidence. I will give my 2 cents though...

1) Many impressive engines have been built both ways (centrally located and 'end' mounted).

2) The larger the plenum, the less difference it should make.

3) I think, if there is an advantage, that it would be slight (or an obscure situation), assuming both are equally well designed.

4) Manifolds rarely distribute air evenly between the runners. Its a tougher task than what is readily apparent. I believe the only way a central TB will prove superior is if the rest of the elements work together. I don't believe you can 'guess and by golly' it and expect to see gains.

5) ITB's are probably more apt to get what you're after with less engineering.