HybridZ

1973 Z Bumper convert to 1972 Bumper - help needed

Guest Kenzpunkiin

Guest Kenzpunkiin

I just removed my 1973 240z front bumper and want to replace it with a 1972 bumper. I have the 1972 bumper. The problem is that the 1973 has bumper brackets that I don't know how to remove. The bumper is off. I pulled two 14mm bolt off the bracket but it does not want to come off. I'm not sure what to do. They are clearly in the way so I have to do something. It seems like there are other bolts holding it on but I don't see any.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kenzpunkiin

Finally done replacing the bumper. Now my 1973 has the early style euro bumper. All chrome - no rubber.

It was really easy to do. I ordered the early style bumper brackets. I pulled off the bumper, removed the huge 1973 bumper brackets, I put on the new 1970 style bumper brackets and it's done. I had to remove the spoiler in the process but that was easy too. Where are the holes for the 1970 bumper? They are already there. All you have to do is look for them.

I got the euro bumper and the brackets from Motorsport auto. They said I'd have to do some drilling but they were mistaken. There was nothing to drill. It was easy to do and looks fantastic. The ugly bumper on the 1973 just stuck out too far and the rubber did not look that great. I like the thin clean looking bumper that is pressed up against the body instead of jutting out. I like it!!

They said I'd have to do some drilling but they were mistaken. There was nothing to drill.

The ugly bumper on the 1973 just stuck out too far and the rubber did not look that great. I like the thin clean looking bumper that is pressed up against the body instead of jutting out. I like it!!

I agree that the look of the '72 bumper is much better and looks "tight" in comparison. Be glad MSA was incorrect and that you had no drilling to do since it saved you a bunch of time in the garage. Pics???

Davy

• 1 month later...
Guest Kenzpunkiin

Motorsport Auto (800) 633-6331

Part 32-2013 rear face bar $319.95 32 2014 Rear Bumper end, left $105.00 32 2015 Rear Bumper End, Right $105.00 - I'll do my rear bumper but I'll take it to the chrome shop since it's in good condition. Ahhh, sometime , way after Christmas!! I'll post pictures (before and after) soon.

Hey guys, i ordered a rear fiberglass bumper from motorsports for 70-72 Z

to put on my 260 about a week ago. They called me yesterday that bumper was in, when i picked it up it was nowhere to be found, inventory showed 2. To compensate they gave me a carbon fiber instead and no extra charge, which is twice as much as the fiberglass. Know that to me is taking care of your customers...

I bought the European front and rear bumpers from MSA a year or two ago. The front bumper was fine, but the rears were not. The quality of the rears is not as good as the front, and I went through three sets before I gave up. MSA recognized the problems and they worked with me to try and get a decent quality rear bumper, and they eventually gave me my money back. I wound up getting mine on eBay.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I know this is an old forum but I want a REAR EURO BUMPER BAD!! MSA only carries the center and the left part of the bumper and not the right part anymore. I was wondering could I use the euro center bumper piece with my original corner pieces (left and right) and the install the rubber on the left and right corner pieces? Will I have to drill holes for the rubber to install it?