HybridZ

Article:240Z versus 300ZX in ITS racing trim

cygnusx1

Yea but if you read the full article, it outlines what works and what doesn't...They liked the broad useable torque of the V6 and the added gearing of the 5 speed tranny... For endurance racing they liked the power steering and better brakes of the 300ZX. Beyond that, it reads (read the "on the track" article) like they prefered the 240Z in traffic and in driving at 10/10ths...

Mike

I read that article a long time ago and then forgot about it. Thanks for th elink. Its dead on accurate and should be a required read for anyone thinking about racing a 240Z or 300ZX.

EDIT: Thier predictions at the end were correct, except the E36 BMW rules supreme, not the 300ZX. Now the BMW will be moved to the new ITR class which makes me wonder if anyone will resurrect or build a 240Z for ITS.

I went out to Buttonwillow just to watch about 6 or 7 years ago and saw the Datsun Alley Z31T pass a full on GT1 Mustang. When I first started watching the Mustang was a little ahead of the Z31. I figured he had just passed the Z31 and would be driving off into the distance. Not so. The Z31 reeled in the Mustang! You could tell he had his hands full, but he managed the pass, then I think he drove off the track in the button hook and gave up the position. Undeterred, he ran that Mustang back down and passed him again! It was very fun to watch those guys duking it out and I was pretty damn impressed with the speed of the Nissan.

Thier predictions at the end were correct, except the E36 BMW rules supreme, not the 300ZX. Now the BMW will be moved to the new ITR class which makes me wonder if anyone will resurrect or build a 240Z for ITS.

Hi John,

The 240z will be one of the favorites at the ARRC this year for a change.

John Williams is always strong at Road Atlanta, and he's so due for a win there. Guy named Huffmaster from up north will be back...He battled Wittle last year into the 1:39s for the first time in a race. RX-7 is really strong as well.

BTW... VIR north course lap record thats been held by a unrestricted 325 since 04 was broken by a 240z last week. SCCA rarely races that configuration.

Old Zs are still running, and I to agree they are now back in contention for car to have in SCCA ITS racing. Along with Rx-7 are the cars to have.

Hyrid z Lurker...

david

Old Zs are still running, and I to agree they are now back in contention for car to have in SCCA ITS racing. Along with Rx-7 are the cars to have

I hope they do come back. Here on the west coast most of the 240Zs that ran ITS moved to vintage with VARA and HSR West. They are just now starting to get competitive with the 2.4L Porsche 911s, which we gauge by the amount of whining from the German camp. Unfortunately most of those guys are having so much fun in vintage none have expressed any interest in returning to IT.

wait for the new guys to get into the Z-Zone...i know a couple of us are going to do track days in summer '07 and i know for sure if my car is done, im going to do some autocrossing (just for fun, im not competitive :-/)..

P.s. great find with the article...i didnt even know they raced the 300zx