HybridZ

SBC 260Z Winner on "PINKS"

I vote we move on.

On that note, It was cool to watch a fellow Z'er kick but. I can't imagine taking a car on that show that I have had for 20 years and risking loosing it. It's one thing for the guys that just slap one together, but I know I'm attached to mine more than just financially. I'd probably chicken out.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the negotiations went as they should have the falcon was capable of much more then it showed and i would have been thinking the same thing. he is settting a trap. I'm pretty sure that neither of the guys really knew what the others car was capable of. and the falcon guys just didnt have it running very good for the show.

Good job jon.

Jon,great looking car,the first race did you hit the nitrous right out of the hole,it seemed that way.What are you running for a rear end and what gears? I'm hoping to hit the track up here in Canada this Friday,weather man say's 22 degrees and sunny.I have not used the nos at the track yet so some info on your setup and when you use it would be very helpful.Congrats on the win,what are you doing with Barney?

Thanks, We ran the plate system ( 200 hp ) on the first pass right off the line and all the way down track until I caught up with him and ran the rest of the way on motor and beat him 3.5 cars. We are running a Corvette center section with 3.70 gears and 27x10.5x15 D.O.T Hooiser Tires. If you have any questions that I can help you out with, give me a call 1-423-735-RACE (Phillips Performance) or 1-423-388-0016 Cell.

Thanks,

Jon

1 QUICK Z

Some friends and i watched it last night at a bar a friend works at .. about 50 people in there we came in and changed all the tv's and the big screen all to pinks.. as my 240 was parked right outside the door.. and man there was some crap talking in that bar.. but great win ya had there..... i already knew the outcome from here .no one wanted to bet with me ..lol all we want to know is he never wanted to run Barney with NOS .. was it even really hooked up on the car or was he just trying to use it as a tool to get you to run only on the motor ..... And by his attitude during the race i would have crushed his car and sent him a tape of it .. and yeah i read about the car going back and how he turned out to be a nicer guy than he looked...

Link to the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odx4WPzjpVs

Okay guys, so here is the scoop on what happened....If you weren't there you don't know what really happened. When these shows go to the chopping block...nobody knows how they'll end up.

We went there as the 1 QUICK Z team. We wanted to be as professional as we could and look as good as we could whether we won or lost. We knew we had a chance of loosing, but was prepared to eat humble pie. We tested two weekends in a row vigorously to get all the bugs ironed out before going. We weren't paired with another car until we arrived in Richmond for the taping.

First of all when we agreed to run on Pinks- our contract was to bring a car no faster then 10.50 et (quarter mile) on motor. We got to Richmond, each competitor had to make a test pass to make sure we didn't run faster than 10.50 on motor. I went out and made an all out 1/4 mile test pass with a 10.85 et at 125.26 mph. The Falcon ran a 10.61 et at only 106 mph, letting out way early as the mph tells you, if you know anything about drag racing. For our first negotiation on our first run, we knew he was faster than we were on motor that is why we opted for nitrous and gave him four car lengths and had him unplug his nitrous. We only ran the 200 hp plate sytem on that run and ran all the way down the track until we caught him and ran the rest of the way on motor and beat him by 3 1/2 car lengths. On the second run, we got pushed into motor to motor only. We wanted car lengths because we knew he was faster than we were but Rich pushed us into motor to motor and no car lengths. Shean was faster than us and should have beat us on this run. Shean's car has a transbrake and launched real hard. We were footbraking on motor and nitrous. The car does not respond as well as one with a transbrake. Shean got me off the line on and we were running him down on the big end and were catching him but he let off right at the finish line and we beat him by six inches (Shean said he let out because he thought he was running faster than 10.50 and in our contract it stated that they would monitor our et's throughout the race and if we ran faster than 10.50 on motor they would take our car and award it to the other team). On the third pass, Shean wanted two car lengths after we just beat him by six inches with him letting out. Rich again pushed us into giving him 1 1/2 car lengths and going motor to motor or he would award the pass to Shean and we would go to the fourth race. When I go to race...I give it everything I have. I don't BS, and I don't hold anything back! We didn't want to lose our car either!

Sometime between the second and third race, one stage of Shean's nitrous system was hooked back up. With his back against the wall, he hit the nitrous on the third pass (and didn't have any fuel hooked up) and nipped a plug allowing us to beat him by 1 1/2 lengths; tha't how it was three and out. Barney should have beat us the second and third run, but he was trying to play games and it backfired on him. We went there to run all out , race an honest race and we came out a winner for it. After the third run, the guys walked around the car before me taking the "victory lap" and found three of the four lug nuts on the right front wheel about to fall off. Suppose we had gone into the fourth race...I might not be here! He could have wrecked...coming into my lane and wrecking me too! Read the following "trouble" list.

"Barney" wasn't performing as he should because when we brought the car home we worked on it for five days trying to get it back in race shape. Here are the problems we found:

The timing on motor was set on 50 degrees instead of 32 degrees...that is why he didn't have any top end charge. The shutter wheel on the Mallory distributor was also loose making the timing vary.

Right rear shock was broke on the car letting the tire rub in the fender well.

When we unloaded if off of the trailer and drove it half a block from the shop and turned the car around the right front heim joint on the A-arm broke allowing the wheel to fold up under the car.

Three bolts in the flywheel were almost out.

And various other problems, etc. etc.

There was no such thing as tech in Richmond, as they didn't even want to know how fast your car would run.

Anyway, after we worked on the car and went to the track it ran a 10.33 at 131 mph in 1/4 mile at Bristol -it would have been faster than this at Richmond, VA.

This is what happened. If anybody has any questions, give me a call.

1-423-735-RACE @ Phillips Performance Shop or 1-423-388-0016 on my cell.

Thanks,

Regina and Jon Phillips

1 QUICK Z

Jon,

Thanks for the thorough explanation of what really happened. You and your crew did come off as being very professional, and you sound like a stand up guy. I'm glad you won, and selling Shean his car back at the price you did proves you are a class act.

Anyone at SEZ8 will tell you,Jon AND his team spent more time under the hood of my car Saturday than he did his own.He was knowledgeable and friendly and I felt lucky to be getting REAL help and evaluation from an obvious expert.We should count ourselves lucky to have him as a member and source of information,especially with nitrous.His cars are well sorted and absurdly fast.I value this kind of knowledge greatly and appreciate his willingness to share it.The things I learn from experienced people like Jon,J&J,Scotty,Zgad,Grumpy,just makes my little car scoot along a little quicker all the time.Racers who suck up the expense of learning what works,and pass it along for free,well,THATS what this site is about for me.I WILL pay it forward at every opportunity.This is what Jons help did for me

New times

60'- 1.703

1/8- 7.34 (I think I had a 7.27 once)

mph- 95.76

1/4- 11.45

mph- 120.58

I think I'll update my sig now.Thanks Jon and J&J for all the help.Its a real pleasure to call you guys friends.Steve

I wish I had the cash to make a good offer on the Falcon.. I love old Falcons and that bigblock in the right hands could be a good 1/8mi torque monster for here in NC..

I watched the show and it looks like Jon was the man! Even if Shean had had his "poop in one pile" he couldn't get it done.... That's 1QUICKZ..!!! LOL

Anyone at SEZ8 will tell you,Jon AND his team spent more time under the hood of my car Saturday than he did his own.He was knowledgeable and friendly and I felt lucky to be getting REAL help and evaluation from an obvious expert.We should count ourselves lucky to have him as a member and source of information,especially with nitrous.His cars are well sorted and absurdly fast.I value this kind of knowledge greatly and appreciate his willingness to share it.The things I learn from experienced people like Jon,J&J,Scotty,Zgad,Grumpy,just makes my little car scoot along a little quicker all the time.Racers who suck up the expense of learning what works,and pass it along for free,well,THATS what this site is about for me.I WILL pay it forward at every opportunity.This is what Jons help did for me

New times

60'- 1.703

1/8- 7.34 (I think I had a 7.27 once)

mph- 95.76

1/4- 11.45

mph- 120.58

I think I'll update my sig now.Thanks Jon and J&J for all the help.Its a real pleasure to call you guys friends.Steve

Thanks Steve,

With all the help you and the other guys on the fourm gave us to get to SEZ 8 it was the least I could do. I will help anyone that I can with there car set ups, motors, nitrous systems and tune on them to try to go FASTER to acheive there goals. No one knows everything about cars, thats why we learn off each other experiences. I think if we install the little box on your car that I showed you at SEZ 8, we can harness that power that you have and put it to the ground and get you in the 10's in the 1/4 mile:burnout: . Give me a call if I can help you out (1-423-735-RACE ) Phillips Performance Shop or (1-423-388-0016 ) Cell

Thanks,

Jon Phillips

1 QUICK Z

Phillips Performance

Hey Jon, what size are you rear rims and backspacing? Any issues with the tires and the rear strut towers?

Thanks!!

BBZ, They are 8'' wide with a 3.5 back spacing and i run a 27x10.5x15 Hoosier D.O.T. tire under it. I had to grind on the bottom of the spring purch about 1/4'' and every thing clears fine. If you have any questions, give me a call 1-423-735-RACE Shop or 1-423-388-0016 Cell

Thanks,

Jon

1 QUICK Z

Guest 83lowrider

Hello all,

As a local friend of Jons, I've posted the entire episode of Pinks

(minus commercials) at

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DM5WPW8K This is a free download

site and requires no registration. If you didn't get to see the episode

please feel free to grab it here.

It is avi format, and approximately 200MB in excellent quality.

Jon also built my 280zx and did a fantastic job.

A couple of pics of the z can be found here...

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/wtm123/album/576460762350122848

jon, what does the z run on the 200hp pill?

We ran 9.57 at 145.60 mph at SEZ 8 on the 2nd nitrous pass and the track was hot and slick. I think whin I get it fine tuned and on a good track it wil go in the 9.40's at 146 to 148 mph on the 200 hp plate system. I hope to put it in the 8.80 to 8.90's 1/4 mile with the nozzle system this spring.

Thanks

Jon