HybridZ

Extra Stuff Needed

Okay, i know that for a 350 sbc swap you need a motor/transmission and motor mounts plus lots of time/money/dedication. Just wondering, what all else is needed? What kind of radiator, what driveshaft, etc. What all will i need from the stock zx? I am planning on going with an automatic tranny (for comfort), a 2 speed if i can find one. I don't know if i want to go carbed or FI. What will i need for either route? Please help me piece together all of this. I greatly thank everyone in this community for all of the advice i have already recieved for this project.

I've only been a member for a short time, but the answer starts out here: http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html. And then proceeds to using the search function. You've got a lot of reading to do. Some of it won't be productive, but some of it will. Cherish the good, ignore the bad, enjoy the journey.

Cheers -- Gary

I second the JTR suggestion. It has pretty much every bit of information you'll need and it's written in layman's terms. It's sort of like a Datsun SBC swap "For Dummies". It's perfect for guys like me:wink:

JTR is a good start. Is this a 300zx? If it is it's a whole new animal to deal with from what i've heard. JTR doesn't sell anything for the 300zx. Start thinking about power steering adaptation to chevy, relocating the battery for less engine bay clutter. Possible ECU locations if running EFI along with upgrading fuel pump if necessary. Check out local drive shaft shops to get a gm drive shaft cut down and balanced and how they want you to measure for the length. What kind of rear end you’re going to use and what flange out of the diff to use to mate up with the gm type u-joints. Radiator is up to you. The list goes on. Oh yeah.... keep everything from the zx when you doing the swap until you are completely done! You never know what you might need. Label, Label, LABEL everything you disconnect and get very familiar with everything in the engine bay at this time and know what it controls (wiring). You'll figure out what you need and what you don't and what to modify if you know how everything works stock.

yeah, this is a 300zx, and when i'm done it'll hopefully be great, but until then it is going to have me VERY confused. lol. i don't beliee there are any driveshaft shops around here, and if they are they don't advertise as that. lol. I don't know an extreme amount about the working of cars, but i have always loved Zs and power. it's a good thing my buddy has built 350s and done engine swaps before, i think i am gonna owe him big time when we are done with this thing.