HybridZ

Anyone doing any Datsun Roadster U20 work

dscott@red3

You want to stay away from the U20. They are expensive to get into and parts are even harder to find. If you want to stay along the original lines, there is a motor Nissan used in some fork lifts called an H20. It is basically an R16 that is 2 liters. It bolts right in. A motor swap is a great idea though. I actually built the first SR20det Roadster in the U.S. about 5 years ago. I sold it a while back but still have fond memories of it.

http://www.sdsefi.com/features/nov02fairlady.htm

The rear suspension is not really the problem, it's the strength of the diff. I broke two rear ends in a short time. As far as sleepers are concerned, it is a ringer. My car was only running about 250hp but weighed in at 2040 pounds with a full tank. Guys at the local drags would say "cute car" as we lined up. When we got back to the pits I would ask them if the back of my car was still "cute". It only took one night of racing to find that only the big V8 cars would run me. And only a few of them were successful. It really was a fun project.

Brian

Ive looked into a few swaps and it seems that the KA24DE would be a great swap. very identical to the L engine swap, they are everywhere and they are still dirt cheap. check out 311s.org for a lot of info and know-how. also, CA18DETs seem to be a great swap.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got a z31 turbo'd ka24de in my roadster. Its pretty damn fun.

I'm finishing up the volvo brake swap today, which I hope is worth it.

datsunparts.com sells the stiffer, lower leafs.. as well as the matching competition front springs.

All springs, shocks, poly bushings, and bump stops come out to about $1000 +shipping.

• 1 month later...

I've been semi-restoring a 1970 2000 and let me tell you, it will eat your money faster than anything ive ever seen. The u20 is a very expensive motor. the r16 is cheaper but rated at 96hp compared to the SU-u20@ 135hp and the solex u20 @ 150hp. weighing 2000 pounds it doesnt really need much to get it moving.

from what ive read the sr20 requires notching of the crossmember and the ka24 doesnt. and both transmissions line up with the shifter hole. i think the ka24 automatic transmission is too wide for the trans tunnel. im trying to sell my roadster to get a newer car and another project z.

$9000 Neg. i tried posting it in classified but it got deleted b/c its not a Z.

One in similar condition just went on ebay for 9950. and one in worse went for 8300