HybridZ

Still Won't Start!!!!

Guest ArchAngel432

Guest ArchAngel432

OK, so I bought a '73 240Z which "supposedly" ran like a champ until it was parked for 2 years. I changed out all the fluids, new plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuse box, voltage regulator, starter, and battery. THE THING STILL WON'T START!! Please, tell me what I'm forgeting or doing wrong.

Have we checked the points? Unless someone upgrade the distributer you should have a set of points that probably need to be cleaned and adjusted or replaced. If it has been upgraded then it could be the ignition module. Now this is assuming it's a spark problem. You need to have three things to run: Spark, Fuel and Air. Make sure you have all three and we can go from there. I'm bettering on spark though. Unless....you didn't mention doing anything to the carbs. They've been sitting and probably need to be rebuilt. Check it out and see what's up.

1) Pull a plug wire and check for spark. If that seems okay...

2) Check for fuel delivery. If that's okay...

3) Try priming the carb(s) and some starting fluid. If that fails...

4) Curse a little bit. Once you feel better...

5) PM a couple hybridz members you trust.

Guest ArchAngel432

O.K. should have been more clear on the problem and not so much on what I've done so far. I turn the key and all I get is a "click" from the starter, it doesn't even try to turn over, almost like the thing is seized. Any more suggestions?

Hello there! I use to live in Ft Walton years ago. If your car is a stick get someone to push you a little and pop the clutch with the ignition in the on position. If the starter or selenoid is screwed this should start it. If it is an automatic take out the spark plugs and take a socket wrench and turn the crank shaft clockwise and if it moves it probably isn't locked up. http://www.myspace.com/ninja240zx

I have just two words for you... "Occam's razor". Just start with the simplest most obvious things and work your way toward the more difficult. You'll be glad you did.

1. Check battery and starter terminals for tightness and corrosion

2. Check the battery

3. Follow ninja240z's procedures

4. Check the starter solenoid

5. Check the starter

I had the worst luck with my Truck until I checked the battery ground to the block and ground from the block to chassis, it was rusted, cleaned it up and never had that problem again.

1. The click means your solenoid is probably working. If you have your headlights on and try to turn over and the lights go to nothing, your battery is too weak, even though it's new it may need a charge.

2. If you can put the car in gear and rock it a little, if the engine moves at all (see the fan moving) it's not siezed.

3. If the click is not coming from the solenoid, then your wiring is probably to blame.

4. If it won't turn over, you most likely have one of two problems (wiring, or siezed block).

Try to hot wire the starter with a wire directly to the solenoid from the battery, if all it'll do is click, and your engine win't budge if you rock it, that's bad

Hope this helps.

If it's been sitting for 2 years the fuel in the carbs ahs turned to varnish. Spray a little starting fluid inthe carbs and crank it. If it fires, your problem is in the fuel delivery, probably the carbs.

Mine sat for 10 years without being started.... My gas tank is clogged, i pulled the fuel line right below the fuel filter and stuck it in a gallon tank of fresh gas and it started right up.

Granted, it coughed and grumbled for a few seconds first, but it started up right away, the throttle plate and float in the rear carb were stuck and took some adjusting with a hammer, but it ran great.

If anything is wrong fuel wise, I'd be more likely to bet the fuel tank is clogged, but you could be right though too.

Put a breaker bar and a socket on the nut on your hermonic balencer and make sure the motor isnt sieze...i mat have a lil rust around the pistons rings that you can break free by turning the crank...make sure u can turn the motor with the crank pully before u buy another starter...if it moves freely id replace the starter and batery...

• 2 weeks later...

Did you try pulling the starter off and just hot-wiring it to get it to run while not connected to the engine? I tried this when I was trying to find a reason why my starter wasn't turning on with the ignition. It spun just nicely, and I found out that I had a bad ground wire. I hate electrical problems.:evil: But I beat this one.:D