HybridZ

Taillight won't turn off, draining battery...

Heya,

Although I've been reading these forums for months, this is my first post.

My problem is that my driver's-side taillight doesn't turn off when the rest of the car does, and it's draining my battery. From the few posts I seen that seem relevant (gasp! A newbie searched!), It seems to be something involving a relay. What I need, basically, is someone to confirm my suspicions (or refute them), and to 'point' where there troublesome relay is and how to repair/replace it.

For reference, it's a '77 280z 4-speed (stock, with an alarm and 30 years' worth of wear-and-tear)

-Pickle

Just one taillight? That's odd. Are you sure the other light isn't blown and it's the brake light switch? There's a little plastic plug in the brake pedal that pushes the brake light switch to turn off the lights. I just had to replace that on my ZX a couple weeks ago because it cracked and fell apart. It's a basic replacement item in the help section of most autoparts stores.

From the problem you have described, I do not think you have a relay problem. The running light's are all tied into the same circuit. All four corners would be getting power then.

Have you checked the brake pedal switch? Perhaps the filaments in the bulbs in the right side brake lights are burned out? That would give the appearance of only the left side being on.

From the problem you have described, I do not think you have a relay problem. The running light's are all tied into the same circuit. All four corners would be getting power then.

Have you checked the brake pedal switch? Perhaps the filaments in the bulbs in the right side brake lights are burned out? That would give the appearance of only the left side being on.

Hmmm, this statement only sounds slightly familiar....:rolleyesg

Okay, due to an untimely attack of insomnia (trying to get a computer job...again...), I went out at 1am to check up on this 'brake switch' thingy. I found it (contortionism + candle + lighter + Z footwell = tricky), but it was stuck. After hanging upside down with my head in the footwell for five minutes and having that damnable candle blow out for the twelth time, I decided to just f*ck with it during lunch.

Also, I've decided to install a manual kill-switch in the near future.:icon55:

-Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Unless I did not understand this thread, the guys all agreed it was your brake light switch. It should be under the brake pedal swing arm or thereabouts so that when the brake pedal is depressed; the swing arm depresses an plunger into a hole in the switch itself and that connection powers up your brake light wires/lights and your brake light bulbs come on. It sounds, from your description that the plunger in your brake light switch is missing and you just need a new plastic switch which includes the plunger as part of it and it costs about $20 or so. This would explain the left and right brake light intermittent operation also.

That's not how the Z brake light switch works...Well ok hard to word this right. That is how it works however the plunger is part of the switch and doesn't come out unless you've broken the switch itself. What he had was a missing bump stop on the pedal arm. They get old and dry rot and fall apart then you have a hole in the pedal arm that the plunger slides through. I don't know why they did it that way, but I went to Advance and picked up a pack of various sized door bump stops and found one that fit. It's a little loose, but still works.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

There is only one switch at the brake pedal and it controls both tail lights. If he has a problem with one, providing the other is working normally then the problem is somewhere else. FYI on a ZX there is a tail/stop lamp sensor box under the passenger side seat. From the descriptions of your problem I think you need to replace this box. It's the black plastic box under the passenger seat. Just pull the seat up and unplug this module and both of your tail lights should go out. Good luck

Everything's peachy-keen right now, I'm all set! Thanks everyone for the help!

Much as I would like to meet you, I'm no longer in Fort Worth...

My roommate decided not to get a job, and his parents were tired of paying his half of the rent, so I'm sh*t out of luck. I'm on my way to Boston (where I grew up) to regroup and start my life from scratch for the third time....yayyyy....

re-enlisting is starting to look good, which scares me....

Now, on to that exhaust leak...