HybridZ

VK45DE & VH41DE Engine Wt & Dimensions

RacerX

I found this info on NICO forums and I searched here but did not readily come up with this info. So, I thought I'd share it and hope it may be helpful. I've converted the "millimeters & Kg" to lbs. & inches too!

RacerX

VK45DE-

Dry Weight: 236.5 kg = 522 lbs.

Size(mm) (L x W x H): L= 921mm W= 692 mm H= 778mm

Size (inches)(L x W x H): L= 36.25†W= 27.25†H= 30.6â€

VH41DE-

Dry Weight: 260 kg = 573 lbs.

Size(mm) (L x W x H): L= 850mm W= 680mm H= 760mm

Size (inches) (L x W x H): L= 33.5†W= 26.75†H= 29.9â€

I weight the vh45de after I got it out of the car and here is what I got:

It came in at about 460lbs! That's without the starter, A/C, P/S,alt, otherwise the complete engine. We weighted one of the 240Z engines I had around and it came in at 350lbs without the alt, dist. and smog pump.

• 1 month later...
Guest TeamNissan
I'm a little confused... why is the 4.1 heavier than the 4.5? Where is the extra weight coming from? I know you found the info and may not know the answer but if anyone could answer that I'd appreciate the enlightenment.

If I'm not mistaken the 4.5 is alum block and the 4.1 is cast.

I'm a little confused... why is the 4.1 heavier than the 4.5? Where is the extra weight coming from? I know you found the info and may not know the answer but if anyone could answer that I'd appreciate the enlightenment.

The post worries me because I don't know if you're questioning based on the fact that there's a displacement difference, or if you actually know about the motors in question and didn't mention WHY you thought the 4.1 should be lighter.

But IF you thought automatically that a smaller displacement motor should be lighter then let me shed a little bit of light on that arena (if i'm mistaken then just stop reading)

A honda B16A (DOHC 1.6 w/ Vtec) is heavier than a B18C (DOHC 1.8 w/ Vtec). The main difference is material making up of the cylinder wall. The 1.8 is the same exact block but with a larger bore and a longer stroke. The crank adds less weight than the material of the cylinder wall removed. So the 1.8 is inherently lighter. Same goes with the 2 liter vtec B series (i'm comparing vtec models beucase pre-vtec has a different head so the weight isn't comparable in that realm),

Make any sense? So in theory if you bore any given motor you're making it lighter.

Toyota's 1UZ, 2UZ, and 3UZ are fairly interchangeable motors (minus the main bearings). The 1uz is a 4 liter. The 2uz is a 4.7 liter, and the 3uz is a 4.3 liter. The only reason the 2uz is any heavier than the other two is becuase it has an iron block. If you took the 2uz crank and bored out a 3uz you could end up with a nearly 5.0 liter 3uz that would be much much lighter than other two motors.

Hope I shed some light on the subject if there was any confusion.

Guest TeamNissan
The post worries me because I don't know if you're questioning based on the fact that there's a displacement difference, or if you actually know about the motors in question and didn't mention WHY you thought the 4.1 should be lighter.

But IF you thought automatically that a smaller displacement motor should be lighter then let me shed a little bit of light on that arena (if i'm mistaken then just stop reading)

A honda B16A (DOHC 1.6 w/ Vtec) is heavier than a B18C (DOHC 1.8 w/ Vtec). The main difference is material making up of the cylinder wall. The 1.8 is the same exact block but with a larger bore and a longer stroke. The crank adds less weight than the material of the cylinder wall removed. So the 1.8 is inherently lighter. Same goes with the 2 liter vtec B series (i'm comparing vtec models beucase pre-vtec has a different head so the weight isn't comparable in that realm),

Make any sense? So in theory if you bore any given motor you're making it lighter.

Toyota's 1UZ, 2UZ, and 3UZ are fairly interchangeable motors (minus the main bearings). The 1uz is a 4 liter. The 2uz is a 4.7 liter, and the 3uz is a 4.3 liter. The only reason the 2uz is any heavier than the other two is becuase it has an iron block. If you took the 2uz crank and bored out a 3uz you could end up with a nearly 5.0 liter 3uz that would be much much lighter than other two motors.

Hope I shed some light on the subject if there was any confusion.

Ya but the bore on the vh45 and vh41 are the same lol, only the stroke was changed to make it a 4.1

Yes, I understand that. They're very different motors from the ground up, well not completely different, but different enough.

I wrote the post for the sake of theory to someone that might not have understood. The explained very little of why the said what the said and I was just clearing up one avenue.

Though as stated in this particular case the VH and VK are different series for a reason. I doubt much is even compatible between the two.

Guest TeamNissan
Yes, I understand that. They're very different motors from the ground up, well not completely different, but different enough.

I wrote the post for the sake of theory to someone that might not have understood. The explained very little of why the said what the said and I was just clearing up one avenue.

Though as stated in this particular case the VH and VK are different series for a reason. I doubt much is even compatible between the two.

Ya your right to doubt that because the vk is based of the vq series not the vh series :-).

I weight the vh45de after I got it out of the car and here is what I got:

It came in at about 460lbs! That's without the starter, A/C, P/S,alt, otherwise the complete engine. We weighted one of the 240Z engines I had around and it came in at 350lbs without the alt, dist. and smog pump.

350lbs converts to 159kg. Weight of the iron block VG30DE is ~150kg without the accessory bits you mention.

Guest TeamNissan
350lbs converts to 159kg. Weight of the iron block VG30DE is ~150kg without the accessory bits you mention.

What does the vg have to do with this thread? lol

Guest TeamNissan
Topic cop eh, well it may be of interest to some to see the comparable weights of other Nissan motors. I for one was surprised to see how much heavier the ally block V8 was than the 6 cylinder iron blocks. Happy now? :twisted:

I was just curious is all lol. Personaly I would take the extra lbs for the extra 100hp lol.