HybridZ

lt1 zx

hey im interested in a lt1/4l60e swap in an 81-83 280zx. Does anyone make headers for the 280zx yet? If not what should I do for exhaust manifolds? Also do you know if there are any kits out there to install the lt1 in the 280zx? I searched the basic swap site jagsthatrun, johns ect but I was just curious if there were any more. I'm asking for info on peoples particular swap so please, please don't leave me a million "search" responses. thanks in advance

There are no kits specific to the LT1 but the mounts are identical to the first gen SBC so MSA and JTR mounts for the V8 into ZX will work fine. I'm not familiar with what JCI makes for the ZX but if it's for a gen 1 SBC then it should work as well.

As for headers, no one makes them but you might talk to 80LT1. He made a set for his car and might be willing to make a set for you or at least send you some pictures.

Good Luck with the swap and keep us informed.

Wheelman

I have pics of my header on my website. That's the only thing you can do for a 280ZX with reciprocating ball type steering(big gear box on drivers side fender). If you have the power rack and pinion in your car you can buy headers from JTR.

Guy

Thanks Mike, I've read the instructions for you kit many times and own one for my '79 ZX. I'm not trying to be an arrogant teenager here, but I was under the impression that Brad-Man was saying the JTR ZX kit didn't work for the ZX, which is wrong... correct? I guess I'm missing his point?

JTR mounts work perfect for the ZX swap, How the engine can be too far back is strange, the farther back the better, not just for weight transfer but space between the radiator and front of the engine allow the use of a engine driven declutching fan, far better than any electric cooling fan and very simple.

Thanks Mike, I've read the instructions for you kit many times and own one for my '79 ZX. I'm not trying to be an arrogant teenager here, but I was under the impression that Brad-Man was saying the JTR ZX kit didn't work for the ZX, which is wrong... correct? I guess I'm missing his point?

The mounting kit for the ZX is different than the mounting kit for the Z.

Hey MikeJTR, am in Australia doing a 350chev conversion on a 260Z 2+2 74. I have your book, its great but will mounting the engine to the left side upset the tailshaft alignment to much? Was thinking of putting the motor central in the engine bay, just need to get the right block huggers to fit. Ta, PeteW.