HybridZ

exploding whale...remind me not to live in Taiwan...

veritech-z

sn-hkwhale,0.jpg

sn-hkwhale1.jpg

so the story goes like this: the whale (already dead) was being transported for a necropsy, and the decomposition inside caused a gas bubble to form and blow out of the whale during transport. Pretty special...Don't they have refrigerated trucks for this? Evidently it drew a huge crowd of locals not because it's guts flew everywhere, but because the novelty of its 5 foot long penis was too much to pass up...ah, humanity...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4096586/

Reminds me of a film we watched in Fisheries class back in college. A whale was beached somewhere off the coast of WA state in the 70's. Nobody had a way of removing the mountain of decay, bulldozers, tug boats, etc..., So somebody got the bright idea of blowing it up with dynamite. And so they did. They blew it up! What was captured on film next was the awesome power of dynamite, a long pause and seconds later, the sick sound of body thumping clumbs of whale plummeting back to earth, some hundred pounds or more. Folks scrambled for their lives, running for cover from hi velocity killer momentum whale blubber boulders. The camera shook, the scene a pink haze of misty putrid decay everywhere. I recall the film showing several cars damaged, a few men in now pink colored rain slickers which moments before were bright yellow. Luckily, no one was killed or seriously injured. I forget the size of the blast zone, but the whole town was affected. The town reeked for weeks it was said. That was a fun class.

Reminds me of a film we watched in Fisheries class back in college. A whale was beached somewhere off the coast of WA state in the 70's. Nobody had a way of removing the mountain of decay, bulldozers, tug boats, etc..., So somebody got the bright idea of blowing it up with dynamite. And so they did. They blew it up! What was captured on film next was the awesome power of dynamite, a long pause and seconds later, the sick sound of body thumping clumbs of whale plummeting back to earth, some hundred pounds or more. Folks scrambled for their lives, running for cover from hi velocity killer momentum whale blubber boulders. The camera shook, the scene a pink haze of misty putrid decay everywhere. I recall the film showing several cars damaged, a few men in now pink colored rain slickers which moments before were bright yellow. Luckily, no one was killed or seriously injured. I forget the size of the blast zone, but the whole town was affected. The town reeked for weeks it was said. That was a fun class.

and here is that video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1nZaL7pYxE

ugh!!! Look at all that whale juice pouring out! Nasty...What's funny is, I thought this thread was going to be about that whale they blew up with dynamite. I see everyone is talking about that anyway. Funny because I only discovered and watched that very video yesterday, linked to it from another site. It's a small internet after all.