HybridZ

Old School Photos

RacerX

Mike, I never really thought about them like that. But I drove one a week ago. AMAZING. Simply AMAZING.

There's always this though:

lotus-elan-s1-100.jpg

Though I wouldn't want to get into an accident. It's a fiberglass body with a frame that looks like a big X kinda. I imagine that if you got t-boned you'd get pinned between the t-boner and the frame.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect the performance of the Lotus Esprit. I just think they look a bit too "anime". Then again... maybe I'm just getting old...;)

Mike, did you mean the Lotus ELISE that was posted just above yours, or did you mean an actual Lotus Esprit (which would have been in keeping with the theme of this thread a bit more than the elise that was actually posted...) Or possibly the Elan that Redfive put up just a bit ago? Damn Lotus and their easy to confuse nomenclature...

Le_Mans-1994-06-19-061.jpg

Aside from the Lotus 7, does it seem to you guys that all Lotus model names start with an E? Why is that??

I've just recently (within the past 10 minutes) found myself fascinated by the original Lotus Elite:

1962_lotus_elite.jpg

Apparently only about 1000 were made. But I was looking for some sort of kit reproduction with no success....?

Here's a rare picture of a Datsun 710 race car. I only saw a handful of these cars setup for racing in the early 70's.

Datsun710_racecar.jpg

You guys bored yet!!! ?

Is that sponsored by Miller IMports of Pasadena? Skip Miller? because thats where my car is at right now, hes a great guy

735451_176_full.jpg

735451_182_full.jpg

735451_154_full.jpg

735451_153_full.jpg

Not exactly "old" photos, but this car replaced the former sheetmetal (a 1970 Opel GT) when it was flat spun and endoed six times at 140+mph. The brown car is how it first appeared, and the orange paint job is how the thing ended up when fully painted. Currently this car competes at both Bonneville and El Mirage dry lakes.

Heres a few pics my Dad dredged up for me to scan in ... no race cars but definatly old school.

His 61 vette that had the hard and soft top. had a factory hi-po 283 with solid lifters. My mom sold it while he was in Vietnam while it was on blocks for safe keeping to a friend for $200bucks... one of the reasons they are divorced im sure!! this pic was taken in front of a school in Bell gardens, CA in 67.

DadsVette.jpg

and this was taken in 73 i think.. he wasnt sure on the date but this was his first SP11 and his fall from domestics to imports. His first Datsun!! This was taken in Muskogee, Ok where most people didnt have a clue what it was.

Dads-SP11.jpg

Muskogee is where im living while i go back to school. dont know how long ago you were here but this town has grown.. but all the fun and nite spots are still in Tulsa area .

speaking of memories..good friend of mine in the Navy lived in San Jose and i spent a great weekend in Half moon Bay. =0)

Tony D, that's pretty cool. Thanks for posting it up. Do you have any views of the front end of #236?

I imagine it is already in one of the heavy mod classes with the body changes already on it, but it seems like they sort of went halfway? Just nose, chop, roof strakes, and wing. No skirting or rear diffuser or pan. It's hard to tell, but I can't see an undertray up front either. I hope I don't sound critical, the car is neat, but it just seems kind of odd. Are there some weird class restrictions that only allow certain combinations?

P.S. I dig the khaki.

"Are there some weird class restrictions that only allow certain combinations?"

That is the Name of the Game up there!

He's running "C/GMS" which is 5001 cc's to 6000 cc's engine displacement ("C"), Gasoline Fueled ("G"), Modified Sports which is where so many modded Z-Cars end up because of non-stock body mods. A MSA spoiler up front puts your S30 Coupe into "MS" class, but a G-Nose will keep you in "GT" class.

And of course, since the 2+2 is classed a "Production Vehicle" the class rules are even more obscure as we run in F/PRO, F/GALT, F/GCC, etc.

If you want a rundown on their rules, there are pretty complete and up to date rules online for the classes, as well as a TON of photos from Bonneville as well as El Mirage at the Southern California Timing Asscoiation Website:

http://www.scta-bni.org

You will find all sorts of photos of our car, and all sorts of other vehicles. It's like no place else on the face of the earth during a race weekend. When Frank and Xander came last year from Amsterdam, they summed it up best: "This is like a Mad Max Sequel, everything with an engine is out here trying to go fast!"

Indeed!

There are some more photos on my Cardomain Page of the #236 car, I don't know if I got a good head-on shot or not, here is the link:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/735451/10 (Page 11 has some shots of our LSR car, as well as some recent shots from November at El Mirage on Page 15, either jump there from the page, or substitute "11" or "15" for the "10" in the hotlink given here to go directly there.)

735451_149_full.jpg

Dale/BayAreaZT,

Thanks so much for sharing those pice - love'em!!!!

ZDreamin72,

I believe it may be the same Miller Imports you speak you. Best to ask them about it though! Maybe they have more pictures of the same car!

Ernie/RacerX

Yea, i'll talk to him about it ,maybe print out a picture, but he's a great guy, he might even be on here for all i know. I have owned my 240 for almost 6 years now; and alll i did to ir was take the engine out and rebuild it(myself) and take parts off of it to have it eventually painted. I gave him the car to work on, for me of course, and within two and a half weeks, he had it runnin and ready; it had no engine in it, no trans, no drive shaft, the engine was completely apart, and he had to take to sets of sus and make them one, and all did it in less than three weeks; i was amazed, i suggest him to anyone in the area

Yea, i'll talk to him about it ,maybe print out a picture, but he's a great guy, he might even be on here for all i know. I have owned my 240 for almost 6 years now; and alll i did to ir was take the engine out and rebuild it(myself) and take parts off of it to have it eventually painted. I gave him the car to work on, for me of course, and within two and a half weeks, he had it runnin and ready; it had no engine in it, no trans, no drive shaft, the engine was completely apart, and he had to take to sets of sus and make them one, and all did it in less than three weeks; i was amazed, i suggest him to anyone in the area

How much did he charge you?