HybridZ

My dash progress

Lunar240z

Like a few other people I'm making a custom dash. I finally got around to starting on it this week because of the time i got off.

I'm either going to weld on the inside, and smooth the outside to make it like one piece, or i'll [still weld the inside] and do a second pass to make the bead look nice. what do you think? the finish is going to be brushed aluminum with possibly a suede half cap going along the top.

mydashfab006.jpg

mydashfab005.jpg

mydashfab004.jpg

this is what its supposed to look like, i haven't got the end pieces cut out yet though.

dashboardmockup006.jpg

dashboardmockup004.jpg

Nice! And it will weigh next to nothing. I usually question why people want to screw with the Z's already cool dash, but I like yours alot already. One issue I see you having is glare, but maybe you can use that stick on stuff they have for monitors.

the center console/center of the dash so far weighs around 4-5lbs [my scale isn't the easiest to read] i'm guessing it should be around 10-12lbs when its done. i dont see it weighing more than 15. the weight will be including the dash and center console.

i had a suede half-cap style cover in one of my other drawings

I just tested it outside and the sun has to hit them directly for them to glare,so the light would have to come in very high on the rear hatch, it may not even be a problem with the angle. I'm planning on having a slight tint so i dont think its going to be a problem for me anyways.

Your dash is fabulous. I want it and will eventually copy part of it.

However, if the top of your dash is not dull and dark, preferably black; you will definitely see a major reflection of it in your windshield 100% of the time which is even more maddening at night with street lights, etc. This is why every car is made this way from the factory and is why most complete interiors are gray or two tone gray with the darkest gray starting on top of the dash and even going onto the interior of the doors.

It looks like a good plan, and the work you've already done on the center console looks great. One question, based on your drawing isn't the speedo and tach going to take away alot of the drivers vision out the windshield...they seem kinda high.

Either way, keep up the good work and keep us posted.

I drove my Z for a little bit with a dull-ish finish on the face of my aluminum dash... It reflected on the windshield and made the windshield impossible to see out of and when the sun came from over your shoulder it just about blinded me.

Of course my dash is a race car style with flat sides and very simple. Here it is:

m62810679.jpg

Yours may be diferent. What thickness are you using for the aluminum? the welds look small so maybe .045"? I used .063" for mine and it is plenty stiff! I will be using a nice oiled tool leather to cover mine since this black felt catches a lot dust.

Your dash looks great and very involved! looks very good!! Props on those rounded corners!!!

mine is .063" as well. the penetration isn't super great so i'm going to weld on the inside too. I'm a sheetmetal worker by trade so i had access to a roller. I got laid off 2 days ago which sucks because they were giving me free material. hopefully the next shop i go to will have some extra aluminum too .

i want to leave as much of the aluminum look as i can, so hopefully a cover on just the top will suffice.

• 1 month later...

FINISHED THE SIDE PORTIONS!

mydashfab2001.jpg

mydashfab2002.jpg

mydashfab2003.jpg

mydashfab2004.jpg

mydashfab2005.jpg

the whole thing is going to be brushed, and either the welds smoothed or i'll go over them with the pulser on to make them look nicer.

and this is something else i just started, an elise style rear diffuser, im not really expecting it to be effective, its more for looks, and my rear section was kinda wrinkly.

elisediffuserfab001.jpg

elisediffuserfab002.jpg