HybridZ

Aerodynamics DONATIONS NEEDED!!!

We're officially at $2075.

The last two donations, Jon M's and Ken Jones' (I bought the showcars Gnose from ken and he generously donated $100 from that sale.) put us there.

BJ has to pre-pay half the $3500 deposit to get on the books. So we're gonna spend some of this money to lock in the date, which has now slipped to January because of the facility schedule. They're booking fast guys, so we have to ge on their schedule so we can make this happen. To do that, I'm sending BJ $1500 towards the deposit. No turning back now! :shock:

Mike :cool:

Hybrid77Z, Is this the same Hybrid77Z from ZCAR.com??? Why yes you are, and yes you must go... conduct unbecoming a human being... You and your boy Norm can have the Zcar.com sandbox to yourselves. :2thumbs:

Mike

Not sure what this was over, but can I just say THANK YOU!!! I don't mean to rub things in here, but Hybrid77z is the reason I won't go back over to zcar.com for anything. I use to frequent both forums, but the mods there seem to support Hybrid77z and his pompus attitude, yet delete and ban others with anything real to add to the forum.

Well that was not the case in this particular instance. The Admins over at Zcar.com banned him and sent me an apology. Derek is a top notch guy and supports our effort in this testing... :2thumbs:

The individual in question eventually did apologize for his actions after I sent him the note from Zcar.com. He'd thought I had a hand in his banning, which was not the case...

Mike

The main participants are going to meet at the facility just a few days after Christmas... I will snap some pics and keep you guys updated...

I talked to the Tunnel operators yesterday and the first dates open are at the end of Feb... We are going to put our deposit down when we meet to see the facility... That will lock us in to the end of Feb...ARGHHH I am instructing an event in Feb as well.. It's gonna be a busy month...

I really must get to fabbing the Pantera rear hatch... I am going to start a thread about the Hatch project...

I've spoken with BJ on the phone on Saturday at length, and we're in pretty good shape gang. I sent BJ $1600 via paypal and they will meet the operators of the windtunnel on the 28th to finalize the schedule.

I'm gonna work with BJ, Ken Jones, and the members of the Triangle Zcar club to get the crew id's finalized and the plan nailed down. At this point they have the ruff project plan together, but we'll work the fine details out over the coming weeks. Pushing us back to late February works well for us, as BJ has to finalize his Pantera Hatch and I'm gonna need time to work the ShowCars G-nose to make it fit...

We're down to about $470 in donations totals and we'll need another $1000 to close the gap... Ifg you guys can come up with the $1000, I'll close the gap on the last $500...

I know Xmas is here and funds are thin, so I'll hold off on beating the donations drum for a few weeks to let you guys recouperate from the holidays... I'm just VERY pleased to deliver the news that this activity is gonna come to pass! :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

Thank you all for donating gang! We now have $530 in the "account" after paying $1600 towards the deposit. The big issue has been paypal fees. It's nuts how much we're losing here, but I'm covering these losses as they occur.

Keep the donations coming. If we're lucky, we may be able to swing a SECOND day out of this... (although we haven't pulled in enough to fully pay for the first yet, this is our ultimate goal!)

Mike

Whooo hooo.... I just got back from visiting the Facility...

I paid a $1500 deposit to get our testing done at the end of March...

Through much deliberation with all parties in volved in the testing... We decided late March is best for everyone...

I drove my track 240Z there as an example for the operators to see...

We spent the better part of 4 hours going over the testing procedures and getting a good idea of what to expect...

Here are some pics..

Zcarshot.jpg

Bobandsomeofourgroup.jpg

Dataroom.jpg

Adjustable ceiling

adjustableceiling.jpg

insidetunnel.jpg

Exhaust.jpg

Tooooobs.jpg

I have to admit... the amount of information that was spewed out so effortlessly by the tunnel operator.. absolutely BLEW MY MIND... I am physically tired after that crainial download... I will also say that there is MUCH MORE to this stuff than has been considered by any of the discussions on this forum...

On the other hand... The brighter lights in this community have put forward some little tidbits of info that now make MUCH MORE sense to me...

A car is not an airplane... although it does move through the air... but make no mistake about it... there are very few things about car aero design in common with aircraft designs... very damn few... That was the source of most of my confusion as it is for most laymen...

Another interesting tidbit that many of us know... but it was nice to hear it from a reliable source...

The stock S-30 body absolutely sucks butts... It may not have a large frontal area... and it's drag numbers may not be as bad as some whips... but the aerodynamic balance is HORRIBLE... It is going to take some pretty serious body mods to make a Z-car perform at speed, on track, and in the turns(alongside modern cars)... You might as well start over with a newer car... DAMMIT!!!

It is also interesting that many of the common mods can make things worse.. and getting the body really close to the ground and sealing off all the air under the nose can be a WORST CASE stability situation...

The G-NOSE is one thing... but the cars really need a G-TAIL...

The guys that run the tunnel are highly interested in our antique aero project cars... They have some good experience with older bodies in that tunnel... We are sure that improvements can be made...

We will be trying not to change the overall body shape... but we will be making some subtle modifications that will be obvious up close...

1: Flushing windshield, deck glass, front of side window openings, and quarter windows.

2: Adding some trip strips to the leading and trailing edges of the roof(same as VGs).

3: We will be sharpening and extending all of the trailing edges in the rear

4: Changing the rear skirt profile and cleaning up the underbody

5: we will be closing off 90% or more of the grill area

6: we will be modifying the wheel opening leading edges

We will also use these mods in conjunction with typical front spoilers and rear lips... and as many other items we can get our hands on... G-nose included...

Im making my list and checking it quite a few times...

OK, March it is then, Damn...

On the plus side, we've got that much more time to get the rest of the donations... Gang, We've recieved another Check, as well as a couple of donations from folks who'd like to remain in the shadows. Long story short, we're up to over $725 in the kitty.

Interesting info BJ, and info I suspected... Very good to hear this will be a daunting challenge and the info gained may well be disappointing. Still, knowledge is power and the info gained will serve a great purpose in making these Zcars handle that much better.

Mike

Mike / BJ...

This is beginning to sound like this may help those of us with body kits too... at least to some degree. What about wide bodies and GTO's? Although body shape is different, many similarities remain.

Mike