HybridZ

z31 Supercharger?

Guest Sp4rt4n

Guest Sp4rt4n

Hey guys, Ive been browsing these forums for a while, and while there is a lot of information that is searchable on here, I cant find the answer to a couple of questions...

I have an '85 300zx NA. Im looking for a supercharger that I can semi-easily find that is used that I could mount where my AC compressor was. Does anyone have any recommendations on which one and/or where I could find one?

Thanks

Any particular reason you want to go with a supercharger? If you're wanting to mount one where the a/c is, you'll likely be looking at getting a centrifugal supercharger. The reason I bring up the original question is its very easy to do a turbo setup on the Z31 being that there was a turbo model.

Compared to the centrifugal s/c, the difference would be night and day performance wise as well as the ease of setting it up and cost wise. Reliability would also be a very noticable factor. Belts seem to always be an issue when adding an s/c like that. On the good side, since you'd be replacing the a/c with it if the belt were to break you could still drive somewhere unlike other setups that run off the same belt that the alternator and/or water pump run off of.

Anyways, really a centrifugal s/c would be a step in the wrong direction when a turbo setup would be so much easier to do. Even though the compressor itself is of the same design as a turbo, being limited by the belt makes for a very limiting unit overall. You'll never reach peak boost till redline whereas a turbo would reach peak boost in the mid-range (depending on size of course) and would offer a much more fun ride compared to a centrifugal s/c.

Just my 2 cents.

• 11 years later...

The vg33er that the frontier and xtera have slightly larger engines with far less cam than the vg30et and still manage to make as much power as the stock turbo z31s with basically the same boost.  And as far as the centri blower you haven't been around anyone who knows how to make one work.  First thing first centri blowers can make huge power numbers easily.  Second you can overdrive the blower and just set the bov to vent boost at 12lbs setup in such a way they can run drive and make power just like a positive displacement supercharger.  For the record a blower is an expensive option but saying it's inferior to a stock turbo due to power production is just plain silly lol.  The lamest blower being the stock vg33er blower will make stock turbo horsepower and murder it off the low end in the torque department not to mention you can port the case and pully it down for very cheap.

27 minutes ago, jbush said:

The vg33er that the frontier and xtera have slightly larger engines with far less cam than the vg30et and still manage to make as much power as the stock turbo z31s with basically the same boost.  And as far as the centri blower you haven't been around anyone who knows how to make one work.  First thing first centri blowers can make huge power numbers easily.  Second you can overdrive the blower and just set the bov to vent boost at 12lbs setup in such a way they can run drive and make power just like a positive displacement supercharger.  For the record a blower is an expensive option but saying it's inferior to a stock turbo due to power production is just plain silly lol.  The lamest blower being the stock vg33er blower will make stock turbo horsepower and murder it off the low end in the torque department not to mention you can port the case and pully it down for very cheap.

Welcome to HybridZ.

1. Nobody runs stock boost with a turbo setup.  With an intercooler, the factory Z31 setup makes 300+ hp with no other changes other than 16lb of boost and larger injectors.

2. Please document your claim that centrifugal superchargers make "huge" power with an overdrive and pressure relief.  I am not familiar with them, so your description is intriguing to me.

I'm not against superchargers in general, but they are not a short-cut to power.  A variety of factors must be considered and paid for when designing a particular engine and induction system.